Nasal Snuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Let me begin by saying I'm not expert on nasal snuff, just an occasional user who has three tins lying around at the moment. You want expert? Read some blogs devoted to this stuff. But I have used nasal snuff many times, including today.

My first words of advice: Buy some red, blue or green Western-motif handkerchiefs. Do not, under any circumstance, consider blowing your snuff-sneezy nose into a white hankderchief. Use your imagination for what that brown blob looks like.

tobacco fans probably know that sniffing ground tobacco was the first known use of our favorite weed. Columbus found such use in Haiti during his second trip to the Americas. It gained favor in Europe, particularly among the upper crust of society. By the 1800s, that group discovered cigars. A century later and they had cigarettes and greatly improved pipes. Sniffing, or snorting, went into a tailspin.

But it never disappeared. And today every imaginable variety of flavor is available in commercial snuffs ordered from the Internet or even purchased in your local tobacco store. I've tried quite a few.

The newbie's first hurdle is how to use it. Pinching makes a mess. Putting it on the back of the hand is not very elegant. A snuff "bullet" can get you arrested for possessing drug paraphenalia. And snorting it through a straw or rolled-up dollar bill smacks of coke use. No, the best way to use it is from a small spoon. A perfect little spoon is the scraper that comes with the standard pipe tool - tamper, pick and scraper in one. Just scoop a small amount into the scraper, place it under one nostril, block the other nostril, and sniff lightly. Don't snort or the snuff will slam into the back of your throat, with much irritation. Sniff. As if you're smelling it, not vaccuming it.

If snuff has a problem, it's the same as most nicotine-replacement therapies: There's no instant hit. It's quicker than most, but not instant the way a cigarette smoker expects. But wait 10 minutes and you might not be able to stand up. Many snuffs contain large nicotine hits, greater than a mild cigarette, and the effect is usually delayed. This may cause the sniffer to take a second hit, resulting in regret 10 minutes later.

I found snuff prices to be very reasonable. And it can be used in other ways. For instance, wet a toothpick, stick it into the snuff and then rest it inside the mouth against the gums. Your grandma might have soaked a stick in snuff, which she then sucked on all day. Snuff can also be cooked into brownies, as cannibis is. And it can be sprinkled into a pipe to increase the nicotine content.

Big advantage: It can be used in non-smoking environments.

But, for me, there's no smoke and not a lot of reward from sniffing it. The e-pipe at least offers me visual satisfaction, even if the vapor is essentially tasteless. (I'd smoke my real pipes for taste alone!).

Check out some snuff forums for opinions from hard-core snuff devotees. They love it and many are ex-smokers.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This site (http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2006_tobacco.shtml) is well worth a read. It ranks tobacco use on a manliness scale, with nasal snuff being the only 10. As with most good satire, there is truth here.

When you finish laughing, ask yourself where an e-cig would rank on a manliness scale. Hmmm. Maybe 0.01. Not a good thought.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Just tried out snuff for the first time and pleasantly surprised. I got a box of Gawith Apricot and McCrystals Highland Ice. Only tried the Apricot so far but impressed, definitely a delayed action to it! I was expecting to go into a fit of sneezing but no, I seemed OK. I've got a bit of a cold ATM but it certainly cleared my nose.

I shall investigate further...

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
I like my toque snuff every once in a while when the feeling's right... got peppermint and natural on rotation at the moment - nice for a wee kick up the backside every now and again!

'It ranks tobacco use on a manliness scale, with nasal snuff being the only 10. As with most good satire, there is truth here.'

I saw that website a while back (it feels like I'm stalking you Bob! 8-o - obviously great minds think alike... although fools seldom differ as they say ;)) and felt quite proud of the fact that my tiny pinch made me a 10/10 man... okay then I'll settle for a 9.5 and hey it wasn't that tiny! :D

I'd say from all the research I've been doing in terms of safety and TSNA levels though, smoking anything analogue would now have to be above snuff in the manliness scale (or was that stupidness scale :oops:) followed by the hardcore african/american chewing tobaccos which are really bad news on the oral cancer front.

My scale would be slightly different (ie. if you can do the top end of the scale for most of your life and still be alive then you probably are a real man.):

10/10 RYO inhaled
9/10 Ciggies inhaled
8/10 Dip
7/10 Cigars/Pipes no inhalation
6/10 Snus
5/10 Snuff
4/10 E-Cigs
3/10 Inhalator
2/10 Patch
1/10 Gum
0/10 Lozenge

Damn, I might have to revert to the old rollies!! lol

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
You've missed one off, how about cigars inhaled! I used to kid myself that I had given up cigs, then smoke 10 Hamlet a day, all fully inhaled 8-o Even with a pipe I tried my best to inhale and sometimes succeeded.

Snuff has the side effect that people think you are snorting more exotic substances :D:D

Definitely got to be an 11 on the manliness scale then... I forgot about the wee hamlets - used to enjoy an inhale on those myself once in a while!

Yeah, snuff is a bit like that, although it becomes slightly less exotic when you get home from a party or what have you and realise you had a trail of brown crap coming out of your nose whilst dancing with that pretty girl you fancied the look of... of course that's not talking from personal experience :oops:

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Let me begin by saying I'm not expert on nasal snuff, just an occasional user who has three tins lying around at the moment. You want expert? Read some blogs devoted to this stuff. But I have used nasal snuff many times, including today.

My first words of advice: Buy some red, blue or green Western-motif handkerchiefs. Do not, under any circumstance, consider blowing your snuff-sneezy nose into a white hankderchief. Use your imagination for what that brown blob looks like.

Tobacco fans probably know that sniffing ground tobacco was the first known use of our favorite weed. Columbus found such use in Haiti during his second trip to the Americas. It gained favor in Europe, particularly among the upper crust of society. By the 1800s, that group discovered cigars. A century later and they had cigarettes and greatly improved pipes. Sniffing, or snorting, went into a tailspin.

But it never disappeared. And today every imaginable variety of flavor is available in commercial snuffs ordered from the Internet or even purchased in your local tobacco store. I've tried quite a few.

The newbie's first hurdle is how to use it. Pinching makes a mess. Putting it on the back of the hand is not very elegant. A snuff "bullet" can get you arrested for possessing drug paraphenalia. And snorting it through a straw or rolled-up dollar bill smacks of coke use. No, the best way to use it is from a small spoon. A perfect little spoon is the scraper that comes with the standard pipe tool - tamper, pick and scraper in one. Just scoop a small amount into the scraper, place it under one nostril, block the other nostril, and sniff lightly. Don't snort or the snuff will slam into the back of your throat, with much irritation. Sniff. As if you're smelling it, not vaccuming it.

If snuff has a problem, it's the same as most nicotine-replacement therapies: There's no instant hit. It's quicker than most, but not instant the way a cigarette smoker expects. But wait 10 minutes and you might not be able to stand up. Many snuffs contain large nicotine hits, greater than a mild cigarette, and the effect is usually delayed. This may cause the sniffer to take a second hit, resulting in regret 10 minutes later.

I found snuff prices to be very reasonable. And it can be used in other ways. For instance, wet a toothpick, stick it into the snuff and then rest it inside the mouth against the gums. Your grandma might have soaked a stick in snuff, which she then sucked on all day. Snuff can also be cooked into brownies, as cannibis is. And it can be sprinkled into a pipe to increase the nicotine content.

Big advantage: It can be used in non-smoking environments.

But, for me, there's no smoke and not a lot of reward from sniffing it. The e-pipe at least offers me visual satisfaction, even if the vapor is essentially tasteless. (I'd smoke my real pipes for taste alone!).

Check out some snuff forums for opinions from hard-core snuff devotees. They love it and many are ex-smokers.

Hello. New member here. I've been a snuff user for about 8 years and I obviously enjoy it very much. Great post Bob. Very informative. If you want a good nicotine rush, may I suggest 'Rooster', a VERY potent American Scotch Dry Snuff.

Tom
NicotineRush.com
Nasal Snuff and accessories.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to our little corner of the nicotine world.

I haven't tried Rooster but am certainly aware of it and its reputation for potency. That makes it a must-try.

Be sure to post your impressions here after you've e-smoked for awhile. Like sniffing snuff, e-smoking has a small learning curve.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Just tried out snuff for the first time and pleasantly surprised. I got a box of Gawith Apricot and McCrystals Highland Ice. Only tried the Apricot so far but impressed, definitely a delayed action to it! I was expecting to go into a fit of sneezing but no, I seemed OK. I've got a bit of a cold ATM but it certainly cleared my nose.

I shall investigate further...

Pete, for a real nic buzz, give the American Scotches a try. Once you get used to them, everything else pales in comparison! IMHO of course.

Tom
NicotineRush.com

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
The newbie's first hurdle is how to use it

Well, my father (sadly long gone) used snuff for the majority of his adult life (prior to that he was a smoker). His method of inhalation was simple and elegant. The snuff he took was called "SP No1" - I understand that this has been rebranded as "Top Mill No 1". Strong and peppery. It came in a small rectangular tin with rounded corners. I believe there was a small hole in one corner of the tin(either that or my father drilled it - which is quite likely). You need to make a fabric band that covers the hole. This will last indefinitely (or until it is too stained for public appearances). To use the snuff: pull the band back to expose the hole. Holding the tin in the right hand, tap a small amount just above the knuckle of the index finger on the left hand. Swiftly sniff into both nostrils (the hand passing under the nose as if wiping away a dewdrop). Slide band back over hole and replace tin in pocket. No need for snuffbox, spoon or other implements. Practical - and swift in practice! :) You will need plenty of paper handkerchiefs, as linen ones will be irrecoverably stained.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Pete, for a real nic buzz, give the American Scotches a try. Once you get used to them, everything else pales in comparison! IMHO of course.

Tom
NicotineRush.com

I'll add it to my list! I'm getting quite a collection of snuffs now, just working my way round them. The different flavours are really good, I'm carrying about 5 different ones round with me, all in bullets, I'm going to have a hard time explaining them away should I ever be stopped by the police.:).
I find it useful to cut down the amount of vaping I do, I smay have given up smoking but my nic intake is up.

vodkaniac

Nov 29, 2008
Mmmm... Nasal Snuff. Good stuff. I ordered mine from Tom at NicotineRush.com. Have to say that I ordered late Friday night, and Tom had my order in the mail first thing Saturday. Nice. Also nice was the free sample of Rooster. Rooster is an American Snuff. Bone dry. And ground as fine as dust. Impossible for me to snuff without it bypassing my nasal cavity and hitting the back of my throat. But, it is tasty and STRONG.

The english, coarser, moister, snuffs are much easier to learn. I tried McChrystal's Original & Genuine, Ozona President, and Wilson's Best SP. All are easy to get into the nose without going past. None have the nic hit of Rooster. They are all good.

Snuff is good stuff. It goes nicely with Snus.

- Grant

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Snuff is good stuff. It goes nicely with Snus.

- Grant

I've got really into snuff, but I cannot live with snus:( Which is a pity because I bought a ton of the stuff.
I really must try American snuff of some description, mostly I've tried the UK & German ones, I'll have to find a retailer that stocks US brands.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Toque just came out with a new nasal snuff aimed at those quitting cigarettes. It's called, appropriately, Quit, and is supposed to be strong and high in nicotine, with a quick "hit". I ordered some, along with four others needed to meet the $10 minimum order. This stuff is so dirt cheap. I'll post about Quit after I've tried it.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
My Toque order arrived today and I dug into the Quit tin.

Oh my, it stinks. I find the smell repulsive, but I put some in each nostril nonetheless. Instant sneezing fit. I might get used to this strength, but Quit packs a punch in terms of nose irritation. I honestly can't say I got a nic high after using it on two occasions so far.

I had to order five tins to meet the minimum dollar order. So far, the only other flavor I've tried is Blueberry Menthol. It doesn't smell as bad as Quit, and tastes a whole bunch better once in place. Sure clears the sinuses!

I'll post more on these after trying them. I have Quit, Blueberry Methol, Espresso, Vanilla and Toffee.

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Hey TB-

I got some Toque snuff a good while ago now and had a nice chat with the owner too who's a really nice guy - also really low TSNA levels for a tobacco product - pretty similar levels to snus.

The stink should die down after a few days - that's actually a sign of it being super fresh. Something to do with the ammonia being fairly active after it's first produced. If you go on the snuff forum, you'll see that a lot of people let it sit for a day or two before using it to avoid the rather unpleasant initial smell...

The mentholated stuff always does it for me but I'm sure those others are nice too although I confess I haven't tried most of those.

lintz69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
Poconos, PA
Great, I noticed when I started smoking E-cigs I went straight to the 36mg. Loved it. Still do. But for some reason I can't feel relaxed anymore. I am trying different tobacco stuff. I got an idea:

Nicotine patch on each arm, snus in upper lip, stonewall in bottom lip, Nic. gum in teeth/side cheek, Ecig on left side of mouth, and newport on right side...

Wow...I think that might relax me, course may send me flying too lol...Now if only I could find some nic. juice..lol

But yeah, I am ordering some of this snuff to try out. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread