Nasty taste on new coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
I find that, once I've cut my wire to the length required, if I give it a few wipes with a bit of cotton or tissue that's been wet with surgical spirit, (rubbing alcohol), and let it dry for a few moments I get a much cleaner taste from a new coil. I mainly build with SS316L but found the same effect on Kanthal A1. I use SS now because noticeably less metallic taste than Kanthal coils. I get to my juice flavour sweet spot REALLY quickly with SS, within a few puffs - certainly much faster than Kanthal. Its a great wire to work with too. Also spaced coils all the way; NO hot-spots and considerably less gunk build up. (SS316L, 3mm id, 9 wraps, 0.5mm spacing in Big Baby RBA with Native Wicks cotton minimal wicks @ 47w = flavour NIRVANA, no leaks, 1 week between wick changes and 8 months now on same coil!)

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
I find that, once I've cut my wire to the length required, if I give it a few wipes with a bit of cotton or tissue that's been wet with surgical spirit, (rubbing alcohol), and let it dry for a few moments I get a much cleaner taste from a new coil. I mainly build with SS316L but found the same effect on Kanthal A1. I use SS now because noticeably less metallic taste than Kanthal coils. I get to my juice flavour sweet spot REALLY quickly with SS, within a few puffs - certainly much faster than Kanthal. Its a great wire to work with too. Also spaced coils all the way; NO hot-spots and considerably less gunk build up. (SS316L, 3mm id, 9 wraps, 0.5mm spacing in Big Baby RBA with Native Wicks cotton minimal wicks @ 47w = flavour NIRVANA, no leaks, 1 week between wick changes and 8 months now on same coil!)
Hi and welcome,
What is gauge of your wire?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
It's not unusual for some machine oil to be present on the wire itself. You either wipe down as you did, or get rid of it when you dry burn the new coil.

Exactly.

Just as we give new atomizers an alcohol and/or soapy water wash (and serious rinse) before first use... raw wire will also frequently have industrial lube residue, and some of it can be nasty tasting oils not some benign non-toxic food grade alternative.

And for those using retail coil heads... give 'em a close look, a rub, and a smell test.
They may have some surface oil as well (just wipe it off) .
It's unusual (IIRC, only iSub heads have bitten me), but final assembly can leave traces and it only takes one and then it's bath time again for the entire tank/atty. ;)

diabolicandy

Sep 3, 2017
London, England
This is making me regret not buying wire at my last vape shop tripp (i too have the baby base) :p

On another note: hello and welcome to ecf :D

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Do get some wire - the Baby RBA is good to build with, a bit small but has the potential for GREAT results.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Do get some wire - the Baby RBA is good to build with, a bit small but has the potential for GREAT results.
Tbh i won't, i'll buy an actual rta beforehand. I've had too many issues reoccuring with the baby beast rba and while it's a great thing to have i'm too clumbsy and that base is wayyy too small for me to do anything with it :p

(even wicking that thing takes me forever because of the size XD)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@QcVaper , if you want a single build deck RTA that's pretty great value, I'm going to pass on Izan's advice to get a Coppervape Hussar Clone (I loved mine, it was very simple to use with good flavor.) I got mine from 3F it didn't take long to get here, and it's my favorite thing I've built on.

I used higher resistance coils, since I'm more MTL, but it also has an airflow reducer (which you don't have to use and I didn't know what it was the vape was airy for me but not overwhelming, gotta tear it down and add the reducer, now) and I believe it comes in several different airflow and size types. Here's the thread... Hussar RTA single coil deck (attack of the clones)

I think you can get a dual deck as well, if you want one? Don't quote me on that, but I believe it to be true, for some reason.... But, I was surprised at its build quality for a clone and for the price (it was cheap, LOL) takes a bit of waiting, but it had a great flavor and was the first thing I built that didn't have preinstalled coils in the tank already, just needing to be wicked, and wicking it was fairly easy. It's not a leaker, and I suck at wicking. I like the flavor a lot. Just a thought... I really like mine a lot.

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@QcVaper , if you want a single build deck RTA that's pretty great value, I'm going to pass on Izan's advice to get a Coppervape Hussar Clone (I loved mine, it was very simple to use with good flavor.) I got mine from 3F it didn't take long to get here, and it's my favorite thing I've built on.

I used higher resistance coils, since I'm more MTL, but it also has an airflow reducer (which you don't have to use and I didn't know what it was the vape was airy for me but not overwhelming, gotta tear it down and add the reducer, now) and I believe it comes in several different airflow and size types. Here's the thread... Hussar RTA single coil deck (attack of the clones)

I think you can get a dual deck as well, if you want one? Don't quote me on that, but I believe it to be true, for some reason.... But, I was surprised at its build quality for a clone and for the price (it was cheap, LOL) takes a bit of waiting, but it had a great flavor and was the first thing I built that didn't have preinstalled coils in the tank already, just needing to be wicked, and wicking it was fairly easy. It's not a leaker, and I suck at wicking. I like the flavor a lot. Just a thought... I really like mine a lot.

Anna
Thanks for the advice anna :p but i already had my eyes on the serpent rta which may be mine next month, single coil or dual (heard it's a bit harder though but i'd use it in a single anyway).

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
Thanks for the advice anna :p but i already had my eyes on the serpent rta which may be mine next month, single coil or dual (heard it's a bit harder though but i'd use it in a single anyway).
I'm very new in RTA, and I get Serpent MMS for start and boy, I love it. It's flavour is top notch for me.(compare to BBB and Vaporesso ccell coils, and I did not test any RTA before)

First I used Clapton wire (CompWire 24+28 - 6 wrap 3 mm) on Serpent MMS and with 30W I get hot spit back (it's very possible that I don't know how build or wick perfectly cause I'm new in this and I have not proper experience in this field)
Next I used one of pre-made Fused Clapton that come with it and that was lovely. But It drain my battery very quickly and wow... consume juice like there is no tomorrow.
And after finding this thread, I try spaced coil (SS316L 26G Master of Cloud - 8 wrap 3.5 mm + 25W) and finally find what I looking for :) Very nice taste, not big cloud, very easy on battery and long lasting juice.
Thumbs up for Serpent MMS and SS316L Spaced coil :thumbs:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I'm very new in RTA, and I get Serpent MMS for start and boy, I love it. It's flavour is top notch for me.(compare to BBB and Vaporesso ccell coils, and I did not test any RTA before)

First I used Clapton wire (CompWire 24+28 - 6 wrap 3 mm) on Serpent MMS and with 30W I get hot spit back (it's very possible that I don't know how build or wick perfectly cause I'm new in this and I have not proper experience in this field)
Next I used one of pre-made Fused Clapton that come with it and that was lovely. But It drain my battery very quickly and wow... consume juice like there is no tomorrow.
And after finding this thread, I try spaced coil (SS316L 26G Master of Cloud - 8 wrap 3.5 mm + 25W) and finally find what I looking for :) Very nice taste, not big cloud, very easy on battery and long lasting juice.
Thumbs up for Serpent MMS and SS316L Spaced coil :thumbs:
To be fair i think the flavors i got from my bbb rba base were more than fine, but i do hate it still because of the numeros known issues it has (like the 510 pin shorting mods,leaking if not wicked properly etc) serpent smm is the most forgiving and easy rta i've seen (and believe me i watch a TON of videos per day lolz). Knowing me i'll probably start with the included coils in the box (just to start with), further i see myself using SS316 too since after some research seem people like that stuff more for flavor (less of a cloud chaser, i'm more of a flavor guy tbh,it just so happens i like bigger clouds than you get from a mtl tank). I'll probably do a review like i did for my Scylla sv on the review side of this forum whenever i go out and get one, mostly because i'd be a beginner myself and i want to share my experience from a beginner's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread