"Natural Medicine vaping"? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
Just reading around here all the "esmokable" things you find over there, I was searching for flavours I could find in Spain, based on PG or VG, and without strange additives (taking them from USA is too expensive... :-( ).

Well, I found a couple of places with natural flavors (strawberry, vanilla,...), and I asked them for all the ingredients (still waiting). But, in the way, I found some "herbal mixtures" that got my attention.

You can find them in herbalist and natural shops (those places where u buy "all natural" things, inciense, and things like that).
They are liquids, water soluble, meant to drink mixed with water or juice everyday, so shouldn't be dangeorus. As they are water soluble, they shouldn't have any oils, and the main components are...: PG and/or VG !! (about 80% most of them), and water and natural extract from plants is the rest (some have a bit of alcohol).

The "funny" thing is that those herbal mixtures are meant to "naturally" solve some health problems, like a simple cold, or stress, or depresion, or digestiive problems, or tobacco addiction!... using simple herbs as artichoke, eucalyptus, melissa, tilum, rosemary,...

I remember, when I was a kid, and had a cold or any other issue, my grandma used to boil water, place it in a big recipient on the floor with herbs in it (same herbs as eucalyptus...), my head over it covered with a towel , so I had to inhale all the vapor coming from the boiling water and plants... and that was really good for me! better than pills :D

I wonder if these liquids could have the same effect... Just imagine, you have a cold and chose your eucalyptus e-liquid, or you are so nervous becouse of lack of nicotine a chosse a more sedative mix combining melissa, willow and tilum, or have a bad day with your stomach and mix gentiana, camomile, fennel and rosemary...

Should I give it a try? do you see something dangerous in it as they are only natural extracts with nothing else in it?

I'd really like it if they work! (and maybe they could also taste good :D ).

any opinions?

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses this issue, but yeah, it seems there are plentiful natural remedies for many an ailment out there. the only reason they are not promoted is that the drug companies can only make money on patented chemically altered substances so what they do is pick a few natural remedies, chemically alter them, patent them and push them shamelessy with no regard to the side-effects. the much discussed chantix being canditate no.1.

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
go down the local chinese herbal shop and pick up a few natural ingredients and and try it out.
The best thing about this is that you don't need to buy the herbs and find a way to extratct anything... they are already prepared!
Ingredients: natural extracts, and propylene glycol (just the same as the commercial e-liquids), some use vegetal glycerin instead of PG (also used in commercial e-liquids), or both of them, and some have a bit of alcohol (also used in e-liquids too).

So... it looks to me like a commercial natural herbs e-liquid... maybe I'm missing something... :p (so the experts here may know better...)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm sure it's buried deep in the Health section. I remember contributing to it. It's a good idea and seems safe to try. If there's a problem, it would be the small quantity of herbs delivered in a puff of vapor. I just never got around trying it -- but I've seen that "quit smoking" herb mixture, along with cough, congestion, etc. Go for it and let us know if it works at all.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Are the liquids you are talking about tinctures Pegaso? I read a little about that myself but didn't follow up, I'll be interested in how it goes for you. I also wondered if Bach flower remedies might have any benefits if inhaled but again didn't look into it much.

Just be alert for adverse reactions while you're experimenting, some things can have unexpected effects. Keep us posted if you try it.

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
I saw that thread before, but it speaks about essential oils, that's another generic product that includes many other things... (many oily based and not water soluble)

you just need to make sure that if they are heated that they don't change into something that can be not medicinal and instead bad for you. If there is oil involved...some oils become bad for you when heated or bad for your atomizer...
I'll take care with it Kim, thx for the advise :)

There is no "oil" in them, or shouldn't be, as they are all water soluble (oils can't be dissolved in water).

Anyway, all these plants are widely used heated. My mother use them all to prepare teas, boiling them in water, when I was a kid I used to inhanle their vapors when I was ill, and there aren't bad known effects for them.

It's supposed that e-cigs will not burn the essences, but just heat and vaporise them... so I think it should be the same...

Are the liquids you are talking about tinctures Pegaso?
In the description of some of them they say they are tinctures, others say nothing, other say dry essence dissolved in VG...

Boxes look like this:
8422947040284.jpg

If you wanna search more, the brand is "Soria Natural"

You can find mixtures from several plants already prepared for a special use, or each individual plant and mix the ones you want :) . They usually come in 50ml or 30ml bottles, with dropper included. The original recommeded use is dissolving 1ml in a glass of water 3 times a day.

If I finally try it, I'll let you know ;)

Last edited:

Silk

Dec 11, 2008
Romford UK
Aaarrgghhh - Sorry hit the wrong key at the wrong time - bl###y arthritus :mad:

Anyway back on topic.

I may be new to vaping, but I am not new to using herbs especially mixing certain ones to tobacco for their herbal effects.(no not those ones :evil: )

For e.g. I have osteau arthrirus in hands, wrists, ankles, knees etc., and tendonitus to boot. I am VERY alergic to ANY type of brufen, and modern asprin (Modern asprin is made from petroleum) leaving me no precribable options for anti-inflamitory and pain relief, just stronger and stronger pain killers. (which I am naturally wary of).

Now Red Willow bark, is both a good anti inflamitory and gives some pain relief (read 'Natures Asprin' ) and has been smoked by NA's for centuries. Almost any willow will do, but Red Willow seems better, and while it also works in a tea (if you can stand the taste, and the way it sucks all moisture out your mouth - not too bad with ginger honey and lemon though which is the best lem sip ever, esp with a dash of brandy (hic)
But to me, it has always been far more effective smoked. (Also natural source of quinine so good anti Mossie and Midge stuff too :) )

Same with Yerba Santa, which is a great expectorant, Mullein, (another decongestent) BearBerry Leaves (urinry tract and kidney infections), and Sage (general tonic and mild antiseptic). With Mullein and Bearberry also being used in a NA mix known as kinnikinnick. There are many others too, (but I would have to start digging into my books for most of them to be acurate, as I tend to go by just knowing what I need and how much - I am probably one of a few people who will make up a mix to smoke to cure a cough :) )

So, as I am trying to move away from combustable smoking, I have already been thinking about how I will get around this - yes there is teas, but in some cases inhalation is far more effective and much faster. (It was this that killed one of my previous non-smoking campains, I got an absess on a tooth that wouldn't budge till I knocked up a willow smoke).

So reading some of the diy stuff in here is getting me thinking: If I brew up teas using my 'known' herbs and mixes and can concentrate them to then mix with vg - would they work in a similar way? (edit - I might be tempted to try mixing the red willow with a vg and high nicotine mix though - as I have tried smoking willow with other herbal mixes and it isn't 'as effective' leading me to wonder if the absorbtion of nicotine also has some bearing on the delivery)

OK I have to work out how to get a good concentration (thinks - would one of the small eua de cologne mini-stills work?) and I would be very cautious about which herbs (just cos its green don't mean its okay to inhale - but I've been saying that about biofuels since I heard of them). But the theory is interesting. One thing I have noticed so far, is it may be vapour over smoke, but it can induce a cough reflex (which is what you want if you want a good expectorant - )

Also I am talking about 'real herbs' here not oils or tinctures, and it would take some experimenting with quantities to get the right strength, but based on amounts I would use for a tea or decocation, I would at least have a basis to work from (plus these are pretty harmless herbs to play with anyway) the only problem I initialy see is getting consistancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread