Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The American Spirit Perique I extracted is absolutely delish! Thanks @boomerdude ! Next to try the Original and Organic I extracted. juice made and steeping...

Yup, pretty tasty stuff. One I'm particularly fond of is C&D Pennington Gap.
Some pipe tobaccos translate well to extraction like Ashton Artisan, Old Joe Krantz, Coyote Classic and the American Spirit line. A new surprise ( if you like Honey ) is Borkum Riff's Honey & Orange.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
The American Spirit Perique I extracted is absolutely delish! Thanks @boomerdude ! Next to try the Original and Organic I extracted. juice made and steeping...

I was hooked on my AS extracts last week. Perique on Thursday and Friday. Agree with you. I have it, Original (Blue package), and Natural which I seem to prefer of the three. Natural has an earthiness that's especially appealing. Good stuff!

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Diane at MyVapeJuice is going to close shop :(

30% off on everything...

sale.jpg

Reactions: boomerdude

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Diane is truly a treasure. Along with being one of the very best juice creators I've ever experienced, she also seemed to be an exceptional person.

With total sadness I made my order with her for more money than I've ever spent on juice. Though it's shot my vape budget (hah! what's that?) I know it will be a very good investment. I wish I could have bought more.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Signed up for NET knowledge. Am I in the right place? Should I just start on page 1 or is there a Cole's Notes of NETs somewhere I can get started at?

Ps. Hi, I'm T_Mace, I love tobacco taste but hate smoke.

You made it from reddit!

When I first got here I just searched this and the first thread for keywords.

Some stuff like PGA extraction is more formally discussed in other threads

Reactions: AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Wow. I can't believe Diane is shutting shop. She has been an ambassador of NETs for a good many years.

It will be sad to see her stop making liquids. It seems NET vendors are the first casualties of the impending FDA legislation.

It could also be the case that with improvements in quality of non-NET juices and more powerful devices, people are flavoring non-NETs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
You made it from reddit!

When I first got here I just searched this and the first thread for keywords.

Some stuff like PGA extraction is more formally discussed in other threads

Ya finally poked my head in here last night to see what all the hubbub is all about hehe. Figured, it's time to start considering NETs and reading up where the experts hang out at.

I'll probably start with cold extraction, seems like a safe and simple start. PGA kinda scares me cuz I don't like the idea of any alcohol getting making it into my vape.. but then again, I haven't done any research on it so I'm probably just making assumptions at this point.

Last edited:

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Ya finally poked my head in here last night to see what all the hubbub is all about hehe. Figured, it's time to start considering NETs and reading up where the experts hang out at.

I'll probably start with cold extraction, seems like a safe and simple start. PGA kinda scares me cuz I don't like the idea of any alcohol getting making it into my vape.. but then again, I haven't done any research on it so I'm probably just making assumptions at this point.

Hey guys glad to see you here. This group used to be one of the most fervent and passionate groups on ECF and the level of knowledge and intelligence was exceptional. It seemed NET vaping is something that discerning people favor.

The group is unfortunately not as active as it used to be but it does ebb and flow a great deal and there are definitely spikes in activity here.

Let's hope that if the FDA's legislation gets defeated the interest in NETs and in this group can once again reach levels of its former glory.

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
Hey guys glad to see you here. This group used to be one of the most fervent and passionate groups on ECF and the level of knowledge and intelligence was exceptional. It seemed NET vaping is something that discerning people favor.

The group is unfortunately not as active as it used to be but it does ebb and flow a great deal and there are definitely spikes in activity here.

Let's hope that if the FDA's legislation gets defeated the interest in NETs and in this group can once again reach levels of its former glory.

Well, between this thread and the original NET thread, it seems I have about um.. 2000 pages to catch up on. Slightly overwhelming but hey, if I can knock out 10 pages a day then I'll be all caught up by er.. January 2017. :facepalm:

Unless maybe there's a Cole's Notes of NETs floating around here somewhere..

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
Welcome T_Mace, posts concerning home Extracting begin to appear approximately the last third of the initial NET Thread and sprinkled throughout the current thread. ECF members Scarf-ace and Bherbst were the first two Home-Brewers here IIRC.

I Cold Macerate using Vodka distilled from potato, imo it's much smooth than grain distilled, and use a low heat to reduce my extract. As an example, a tobacco extract reduced to 50ml will have 25ml of PG/VG added, the PG/VG is mixed @50/50 ratio, this is my final NET extract/flavor. That is mixed @15-25% for my vape-ready juice, my PG/VG ratio is 20/80.

Oh, who's Cole? :confused:

BTW, the low heat reduction will evaporate any alcohol in the extract, no tell-tale residual remains.

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
Welcome T_Mace, posts concerning home Extracting begin to appear approximately the last third of the initial NET Thread and sprinkled throughout the current thread. ECF members Scarf-ace and Bherbst were the first two Home-Brewers here IIRC.

I Cold Macerate using Vodka distilled from potato, imo it's much smooth than grain distilled, and use a low heat to reduce my extract. As an example, a tobacco extract reduced to 50ml will have 25ml of PG/VG added, the PG/VG is mixed @50/50 ratio, this is my final NET extract/flavor. That is mixed @15-25% for my vape-ready juice, my PG/VG ratio is 20/80.

Oh, who's Cole? :confused:

BTW, the low heat reduction will evaporate any alcohol in the extract, no tell-tale residual remains.

Thanks for the tips!!

So just for my understanding.. cold extraction is somewhat smoother and takes way longer, while hot extract will be more hash? I'll admit I'm weary of using alcohol because I definitely to want any residual. Going to start off the cold extract almost for sure and try hot later. Once over my noob fears I'll probably give alcohol a go too but I wouldn't know at this point when the alcohol is all evaporated or even how to tell if it was present in the extract (other than smell of course).

One question relating to your choice of alcohol.. Any idea why potato vodka is smoother? Makes me think maybe some very small amount of vodka gets left in the extract and for whatever reason grain is harsher than potato when vaped. Of course I have zero experience thus far so my guess is just a shot in the dark.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Wow. I can't believe Diane is shutting shop. She has been an ambassador of NETs for a good many years.

It will be sad to see her stop making liquids. It seems NET vendors are the first casualties of the impending FDA legislation.

It could also be the case that with improvements in quality of non-NET juices and more powerful devices, people are flavoring non-NETs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I think that's part of it. Since I discovered Inawera's For Pipe series, my NET consumption has gone waaay down.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I wouldn't classify a Hot extraction as harsh compared to Cold extraction, just each method will probably accentuate different flavor elements of the extraction, the same can be said for mixing at different strengths. My cold extracted Kuba Kuba extract, both from the same batch, tastes more Botanical/ Herbal @12% than it does @20-25%.

My Cold extracts are usually ~90 days, I've also done a Window extract during the Summer, putting my jars on my kitchen window sill for ~90 days. I like using the Sun during the Summer, and still do the low heat reduction after filtering the extract. I guess I should do the Window & Cold (kept in the cupboard) extraction of the same tobacco to see if there is any flavor difference.

Smell is a big indicator for the presence of alcohol, but since I reduce my extracts ~70-80%, ~4-6 hours, I'm sure I'd detect an alcohol note in the vape juice. Highly doubtful but, if alcohol was present, leaving the cap off your juice for a day would probably cure it.

My opinion of Potato vs Grain Vodka was made during the drinking of it, which I believe would translate to using it as an extraction medium.

I like keeping my extractions simple and like to experiment, if it's a failure, I'm out the price of a Cigar or Pipe Tobacco, $6-$12. I usually average 60-100ml of finished Tobacco extract depending on the amount of Tobacco I macerated.

There are no rules to extracting, you're only limited by your imagination... Clay's (net.com) Hybrids are a great example, and the next step in my experiments.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
Yes I think that's part of it. Since I discovered Inawera's For Pipe series, my NET consumption has gone waaay down.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

There are some good synthetic Tobacco juice around, I like mixing synthetic Turkish and Oriental with TA (tobacco absolute) and occasionally add a Fig, Orange or Almond component to those juices.

Though I haven't tried Inawera Tobacco's yet, I've had a couple fruit extracts which made some good juices, and their version of 555 extract, around here somewhere, will be mixed for October/November vaping.

I still vape NETs ~90-95% of the time.

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
I will argue that point... but only barely...

The only rule if any.... keep everything sterile and clean or you risk growing something in the extract that you do not want.

This had crossed my mind. What steps can I take to keep it all clean? I imagine the jar should be boiled before use. Keep the cap on once steeping. What else though? Since tobacco is organic matter, I can image microbes would love to hang out in that jar and have an orgy during the steep. PG, is somewhat antimicrobial from my understanding but is it enough to keep mold/bacteria under control during a long steep? Any tips on sanitation would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread