AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Thanks for the tips!!

So just for my understanding.. cold extraction is somewhat smoother and takes way longer, while hot extract will be more hash? I'll admit I'm weary of using alcohol because I definitely to want any residual. Going to start off the cold extract almost for sure and try hot later. Once over my noob fears I'll probably give alcohol a go too but I wouldn't know at this point when the alcohol is all evaporated or even how to tell if it was present in the extract (other than smell of course).

One question relating to your choice of alcohol.. Any idea why potato vodka is smoother? Makes me think maybe some very small amount of vodka gets left in the extract and for whatever reason grain is harsher than potato when vaped. Of course I have zero experience thus far so my guess is just a shot in the dark.

That was my problem as well at first - I didn't know how long to reduce the mixture to get rid of all traces of alcohol. I ended up with a batch of extracts that definitely had the vodka taste still in even though I reduced it for hours and it ended up being half the volume.

There is an easy solution though. Ensure you taste test and smell the extract for signs of alcohol before mixing it ready to vape and if the alcohol or vodka is still present, simply reduce it further. Evaporating alcohol is the easiest thing in the world to do, particularly on a Friday night :)

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I wouldn't classify a Hot extraction as harsh compared to Cold extraction, just each method will probably accentuate different flavor elements of the extraction, the same can be said for mixing at different strengths. My cold extracted Kuba Kuba extract, both from the same batch, tastes more Botanical/ Herbal @12% than it does @20-25%.

My Cold extracts are usually ~90 days, I've also done a Window extract during the Summer, putting my jars on my kitchen window sill for ~90 days. I like using the Sun during the Summer, and still do the low heat reduction after filtering the extract. I guess I should do the Window & Cold (kept in the cupboard) extraction of the same tobacco to see if there is any flavor difference.

Smell is a big indicator for the presence of alcohol, but since I reduce my extracts ~70-80%, ~4-6 hours, I'm sure I'd detect an alcohol note in the vape juice. Highly doubtful but, if alcohol was present, leaving the cap off your juice for a day would probably cure it.

My opinion of Potato vs Grain Vodka was made during the drinking of it, which I believe would translate to using it as an extraction medium.

I like keeping my extractions simple and like to experiment, if it's a failure, I'm out the price of a Cigar or Pipe Tobacco, $6-$12. I usually average 60-100ml of finished Tobacco extract depending on the amount of Tobacco I macerated.

There are no rules to extracting, you're only limited by your imagination... Clay's (net.com) Hybrids are a great example, and the next step in my experiments.

I am eager to hear how you go with those experiments Mftoms. I am considering trying to some tea macerations and maybe even citrus macerations like orange or lemon peel.

I am excited about the possibility of extracting some earl grey or camomile among others.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I submerge my jars in a covered pot of boiled water & white Vinegar for ~15 minutes then remove & dry when I'm ready to load it, same with my beakers, hand blender and funnel. PG, PGA or other drinking alcohol will work fine, distilled water on its own will not.

Toms, you've been extracting for a good two years now and seem to have become quite proficient at it. You have an eye for detail. It would be great to see you have an online store one day into the future after the FDA gets squarely defeated by the good citizens of America.

I would certainly love to try your home brewed NETs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Tele

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
It is too bad that Diane is giving up so soon. Actually Ethervapes is still available. Vash sells through his Facebook account. He left ECF and went to another forum, and after that he started selling on Facebook for whatever reason. I don’t think he ever gave up his day job. As far as I know Clay is planning to be around at least for the next two years. It ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

If Clay closes his business down I will be inconsolable. Clay IS NETs these days. His NETs and the vast array of hybrids and varietals is unparalleled anywhere.

There is not one juice he creates that I don't like and his use of flavorings, liqueurs to make hybrid juices are exceptional. I could never hope to replicate his juices in my own home.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I am eager to hear how you go with those experiments Mftoms. I am considering trying to some tea macerations and maybe even citrus macerations like orange or lemon peel.

I am excited about the possibility of extracting some earl grey or camomile among others.

Mmmm, Earl Grey, my favorite.

Reactions: AnthonyB

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
... P&C has Bengal Slices listed as being a new offering; just seeing if perhaps someone has taken the plunge to give it a go. If not, then I just might have to blaze the trail on the Bengal. :)

I haven't DIYed Bengal Slices, but I'd treat it like a Cigar, cut it up to expose more surface area and macerate...

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Has anyone tried MVJ's Gurkhas or Gurkhas in general? Looking to get some of her extracts.

Thanks!

I actually haven't tried that one... but I have tried several of the extracts. I think I've posted this before but if not... here it is now. These are some descriptions I gave to Diane for use on her website... I kept is simple as I could so hopefully others less knowledgeable wouldn't get overwhelmed etc... At this time, I was making more conventional compressed coils using 28g wire wrapped on a 1.5-2mm rod... These can likely be vaped at higher power levels with larger coils and bigger gauge wire.

Havana 7 CT Broadleaf

Using an Infinite Magma dripper at 1.7ohms… with 3 weeks of steep time

At the lower power settings of about 15w, the initial inhale into the mouth… it’s a smooth but mild in strength flavored vape with a dark to medium dark robust flavor. During the inhale into the lungs the spicy bite is evident at the back of the throat. At power levels over 15w up to 20w, the flavor strength comes up nicely and a robust flavor starts to really become apparent. The spiciness makes for a really nice set of top notes that linger nicely in the mouth. Obviously makes a nice addition to a cigar blend.

Indonesian Bezuki

A classic Indonesian flavor that is complex, full and dark in flavor. It includes added flavor notes on the tongue similar to a spice but without the bite in the back of the throat. The power level doesn’t change the taste much but, the fullness and robustness of it does increase. Makes an obvious cigar blend that is rich, dark and luxurious.

Indonesian Sumatra

A classic Indonesian flavor that is complex, full and dark in flavor with a slight natural sweetness to it. It includes added flavor top notes on the tongue to a spice and has the bite in the back of the throat that is commonly found with spicy notes. The power level doesn’t change the taste much but, the fullness and robustness of it does increase. Makes an obvious cigar blend that is rich, dark and luxurious along with a bite from the included spicy notes.

Cameroon Seco

A cigar filler type of flavor with a smooth medium toned that is still full bodied… at lower power settings there is just a hint of a bite on the back of the throat which increases as the power increases… the flavor stayed consistent from 15w up to 20w without adding any other flavor notes to the taste. The fullness is most noticeable on inhale while the cigar flavor qualities show on exhale more.

Broadleaf

A cigar filler or wrapper type of flavor with a slightly earthy, slightly sweet medium tone that is medium bodied with a hint of bite in the back of the throat. The flavor is consistent at lower 15w to higher 20w power levels but does become richer with the higher levels. The flavor of the vape remains almost the same on both inhale and exhale.

Med CT Broadleaf

Using an Infinite Magma dripper at 1.6ohms… with 3 weeks of steep time

Compared to Broadleaf, this is a little more sweet and much smoother with no sign of bite in the back of the throat. This still has the slight earthiness that you also find in Broadleaf. The flavor remains consistent with the power level only becoming richer as the power increases. Inhale and exhale flavors also remain the same. As with Broadleaf this works well as a filler or wrapper for a cigar but the smoothness would also lend it to some unique pipe or ryo blends to bring them a medium full vape.

1LS Broadleaf

Compared to Med CT Broadleaf, this vape is earthy and deeper in flavor so it’s more of a medium dark flavor that is richer and fuller that has a natural sweetness to it. There is a slight spicy bite in the back of the throat that increases with the power level with a slight bite at about 15w and a little more pronounced one at around 20w. This lends itself more towards a wrapper cigar flavor.

Organic Canadian Virginia Flue Cured

A smooth mellow light medium flavored vape which has a natural light sweet taste with a higher medium tone. It’s also has a good body with just barely a hint of a brown grassy note way in the background. I found no hint of bite on the tongue or at the back of the throat. As I increased the power from 15w up to 20w… the overall vape just became bolder. Light and complex enough to stand on it’s own but also can be used in about any blend such as cigarettes, pipes and even hookah.

American Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured

A mellow medium flavored vape with a natural light sweetness and a medium tone. The body is a light medium with a bit of a brown grassy note in the background. There is no bite on the tongue or back of the throat. Increasing the power from 15w to 20w increases the boldness a little but not a lot. A light flavored vape that can stand on it’s own or works well in a blend such as a cigarette, pipe or hookah.

American Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured Sweet

A smooth mellow medium flavored vape with a natural sweetness and a medium tone. The body is a light medium with a bit of a brown grassy note in the background. There is no bite on the tongue or back of the throat. Increasing the power from 15w to 20w increases the boldness a little but not a lot but the sweetness comes up a bit. A light flavored vape that can stand on it’s own or works well in a blend such as a cigarette, pipe or hookah.

American Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured Smooth

A very smooth mellow medium flavored vape with a natural light sweetness and a medium tone. The body is a light medium with a bit of a brown grassy note in the background. There is no bite on the tongue or back of the throat. Increasing the power from 15w to 20w increases the boldness a little but not a lot. A light flavored vape that can stand on it’s own or works well in a blend such as a cigarette, pipe or hookah.

Uncut Burley

A robust medium dark vape that brings with it a slight bite in the back of the throat. There is also a dark haylike floral flavor note that really brings some interest to this juice. Vapes well from 15w to 20w with little change. Works in every situation where a bit of a bassy note is needed in a cigarette, pipe, cigar any other vape.

Dark Air Cured Fronto

A smooth bold medium dark vape with a bit of a chocolate like flavor note to it and a hardly noticeable bite in the back of the throat. The boldness increases with the power from 15w-20w. Often used as a wrapper or grappa leaf for a cigar, I believe it smooth enough for other uses also.

Aged Burley

A smooth robust medium dark vape that is wonderfully aged earthy flavor. There is a slight bite at the back of the throat on inhale. The boldness increases nicely with the power from 15w-20w without being harsher. Commonly mixed with a Virginia tobacco in cigarettes to provide a bassy note flavor but works really well in cigars and pipe blends.

Dark Fire Cured

A bold dark vape with a full smokey flavor reminiscent of a woodsy campfire. This provides a nice bite on the tongue as well as the back of the throat. The smokiness increases with the power level going from 15w-20w. Typically used as a condiment within any tobacco mixture that a dark smoky flavor is desired.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Many thanks @rdsok ! That's an informative, comprehensive, and wide ranging review.

Thanks back at ya...

I tell ya, trying to describe the mostly cigar based tobacco's was a real challenge for me... I'm not and have never been a cigar guy so I didn't have anything to compare with from experience. At least the other pipe and ciggy types were pretty easy once I got my mind focused on the task... I had experience enough that those descriptions came much easier.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I was pausing on ordering the cigar extracts from MVJ because for some reason I've never gotten any flavor from their cigars. Cigar blends from NET.com have been wonderful. I've had a small success with extracting a Rocky Patell but a couple others are taking their sweet time developing after a 10 weeks soak.

They are tricky!

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
another of my newest extractions was filtered and ready to test.
It is Louisiana Perique Flake by Gawith & Hoggarth & co. I have to say here this is TRUE Perique! I have tried many other brands of Perique and this is the first and only e-liquid that has the characteristic slight sour smell and true taste of REAL Perique. I Love This Stuff!
How do I know this is real? Some years ago a family member and I went to the Parish where it is made. I got to smell the real deal and was given a chance to get a couple puffs on some.
Once you try it you will know what you have been missing all along....

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I've had a small success with extracting a Rocky Patell but a couple others are taking their sweet time developing after a 10 weeks soak.

I'm about to put a Patel Nording in a jar for a go. :)

I was on the verge of buying an Acid Kuba Kuba, but the infused herbal incense nature of those cigars kinda turns me off. Who knows, that note may not come out in the end product; I'll have to do some research to answer that question. ;)

Reactions: 67Tele

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm about to put a Patel Nording in a jar for a go. :)

I was on the verge of buying an Acid Kuba Kuba, but the infused herbal incense nature of those cigars kinda turns me off. Who knows, that note may not come out in the end product; I'll have to do some research to answer that question. ;)
The floral, incense, spice notes are pronounced in the Deluxe Kuba Kuba. Makes the juice a bit overpowering.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Has anyone tried MVJ's Gurkhas or Gurkhas in general? Looking to get some of her extracts.

Thanks!
I've had the Gurkha Legend 2001 and it took some time to develop. It was not one of my favorites of hers. The cigars that really wowed me were Man-O-War Ruination and La Perla Habana Black Pearl. There were a few others but I can not remember the names and do not see them there now.

Out of all of them, La Perla Habana Black Pearl probably reminded me most of a cigar with the pepper and leathery notes. Very straight forward cigar.

I ordered a few of the extracts and a box that had the BP. Ruination, H&H Stogie Pipe (just loved that one), and Sutliff Private Stock - Charlemagne (another one that grew on me after a while). Probably going to order up a little more, can never have too much.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I've had the Gurkha Legend 2001 and it took some time to develop. It was not one of my favorites of hers. The cigars that really wowed me were Man-O-War Ruination and La Perla Habana Black Pearl. There were a few others but I can not remember the names and do not see them there now.

Out of all of them, La Perla Habana Black Pearl probably reminded me most of a cigar with the pepper and leathery notes. Very straight forward cigar.

I ordered a few of the extracts and a box that had the BP. Ruination, H&H Stogie Pipe (just loved that one), and Sutliff Private Stock - Charlemagne (another one that grew on me after a while). Probably going to order up a little more, can never have too much.

Thanks. It's funny, I liked Stogie more than Louisiana Red (which was more popular at the time if I remember) but, after extracting my own Red I came around and realized what a great juice it makes. It'll be one I cellar for the coming "Winter".
Should get some more Stogie while I'm at it....hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread