Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Actually Jonny, a PG intolerance will have symptoms of dry sore throat, a cough and a rash after some time. I doubt I am PH intolerant.

Yes and do you have a cough or a rush ? I think a dry throat is normal by vaping pg based juices. I have tried today stand alone pg and vg and the pg was scratching. But this is normal and not a intollerance. An intollerance would mean for example the rash. But its only my opinion.

Last edited:

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I've never tried Yenidje. At least I can't remember ever trying it.

How would you describe these tobacco varietals Jonny and what tobacco do you use to create them ?

The taste is a litte bit like turkish 84 or sun cured turkish because its a turkish leaf with a little sweetness. A have bought leafs from leafonly.com last year to make homemades. But its difficult to find commercial nets with turkish tobaccos like yenidje.

I have bought one from real extracts but i didnt like the flavours from them. It has tasted like a green leaf and not like a brown leaf. I have missed the flavour of my home made one.

Smyrna has not as much flavour as yenidje or the sun cured turkish. Its not soooo sweet in opinion.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
At the moment i want a net without sweetness but its very difficult. In my opinion pg is sweeter than vg. I am vaping 70% vg with 30% pg because i need a little bit scratching of the pg for a good throat hit. VG does not scratch. Hmm ???

Oh, its morning in australia isnt it ? In germany its midnight and little jonny has to go to the sandman.....bye anthony

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyB

felinefan

Sep 22, 2017
Hi folks. I'd like some advice on the best wicking material and coil wire for NETs. I'm using 26g SS316L with MUJI cotton. This works well when i'm subohming fruity, candy juices. But my NETs are gunking up very quickly and tasting a bit burnt. I'm trying to keep wattage to about 14-20W so i don't over heat the coil. Because i don't use nicotine, I'm probably taking more drags than others do in a 10 minute session. I am dry burning/rinsing coil and rewicking after about 15-20 drags.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Hi folks. I'd like some advice on the best wicking material and coil wire for NETs. I'm using 26g SS316L with MUJI cotton. This works well when i'm subohming fruity, candy juices. But my NETs are gunking up very quickly and tasting a bit burnt. I'm trying to keep wattage to about 14-20W so i don't over heat the coil. Because i don't use nicotine, I'm probably taking more drags than others do in a 10 minute session. I am dry burning/rinsing coil and rewicking after about 15-20 drags.
I ended up using mesh wicks. Like yourself, I only vape NETs & cotton just filters the juice, needing almost constant replacement, (I can taste cotton too...). With mesh, I still have to remove wicks, burn 'em, dry burn coils & slip wicks back in once:/twice a day but it's much quicker than with fluff!

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Sub-ohming is just like what it sounds like... using a coil with a resistance below 1 ohm.

When vaping a NET... I typically are using a notch coil @ 0.23 ohms using japanese cotton for a wick. I run temp limited to 400° at 25w and the flavor come through just fine. I probably dry burn about every 3 tanks in my Theorum atomizer.

NET's are naturally more apt to gunk quicker than a synthetic juice ( ie tobacco flavored but not extracted from actual tobacco ). To subohm a NET, you'll need a shorter but large diameter wicking material that can keep up with the heat you are putting to the coil and a coil with a larger diameter gauge to help spread that heat out across a larger area.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

felinefan

Sep 22, 2017
"Sub-ohming is technically anything below 1.0 ohm. It is the resulting power applied to the quantity of juice that is relevant. - .78 ohm resistance should be fine but to be equal to my 1.2 ohm coil at 12 watts you would simply lower your wattage.
Also consider that increasing ohms usually means longer wire i.e. more surface area of coil exposure to wick & juice. Probably a better vape I would think.

You are using more power (i.e. watts) and less resistance (i.e. ohms) so you are running a lot hotter (more amps) than I am." Boiler Guy

Hah. I hadn't realised that .78W is considered subohming. I lowered my wattage to 12.5W. which I think was a bit better but still had to clean my coils pretty soon into my session. I have a feeling the main culprit in my case is that I take alot of puffs/drags in a short amount of time because I can-due to the fact that I'm not using nicotine. So maybe the coils are getting burnt and gunked up alot more quickly than happens to most people on this forum since you're intake of nicotine which would slow down the amount of drags over the same period of time. I hope that makes sense!

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
At the moment i want a net without sweetness but its very difficult. In my opinion pg is sweeter than vg. I am vaping 70% vg with 30% pg because i need a little bit scratching of the pg for a good throat hit. VG does not scratch. Hmm ???

Oh, its morning in australia isnt it ? In germany its midnight and little jonny has to go to the sandman.....bye anthony

Hi Jonny,

I might be going through the same thing. When I vape mouth to lung all day I use higher ratio PGVG juice and by the end of the day I have a bit of a scratchy throat and some mild ill effects. I don't get a rash though so I don't think I am PG intolerant. I think PG is more of an irritant and a little harsher on humans than VG.

When I vape mainly sub-ohm on weekends with MaxVG liquids I don't get any harshness in the throat.

One thing I have not experimented with is high VG in mouth to lung devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnydoe

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia

Try a ceramic coil like Vaporessos Ccells.

The other tip I could give is that if you are going to sub-ohm NETs go with NETs that are cleaner and are less renown for gunking. Which vendors NETS are you using? This is very important because there are NETs that will gunk up coils in half a day and NETs that will take a week before the coils start tasting burnt.

You are vaping 20 watts at .78 ohms so that's not what I would consider subohming. That's within the normal bounds of NET vaping. Your coils are gunking up too fast.

I would say look at what liquids you are vaping first. Then consider hardware.

Perhaps consider using NETs that are known to be cleaner and gunk less such as blacknote or Heathers heavenly Vapes.

The other thing you could do is make your own NETs (assuming you aren't already). That way you can control the filtration of the NET by using lower micron filter papers. There are threads on ECF that can help you learn about making your own NETs.

NET.com NETs will gunk coils but you could perhaps contact the vendor Clay and ask if he will make your juices with half the extract so they are more suitable to higher wattage devices.

Last edited:

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I have not had good results with subohming NET. The natural extracts like low power.
I use Ekowool exclusively with real extracts. They are the best filtered I think, and they are 70PG/30VG. Thinner liquid than the current fashion of high VG and high viscosity.
Yes, NET does require a more frequent wick change because there is actually SUBSTANCE as opposed to synthetic molecules.
The Ekowool has a courser fiber and consequently larger open space between the fibers. I only do NET so I change my wick every other day. Years ago when I was using factory premade coil/wicks I changed my coil every day. It was worth it to me. Tobacco flavor is all I seek.
I use 26ga Kanthal, 12 watts, 1.2 ohm on a single coil on a Kayfun (v5,v3 and Prime). I have not changed this combination for years.
Ekowool seems to be getting harder to find. Ebay still has some listings though.

What strength nicotine do you use on the abovementioned Kayfun set up? The reason I ask if that I was using a seldom used Kayfun v3 mini clone a few weeks ago with 12mg nicotine and I got nicotine sick very quickly. The throat hit felt good and there was no indication I was getting to much nicotine but soon enough I felt the effects.

Prior to that about 3 months before I used a similar clone Kayfun device, maybe the Kayfun 4 and I had similar effects on 10 mg nicotine.

It's strange because it's not as though I am producing big clouds or getting a strong throat hit. The nicotine sickness just kind of creeps up.

• Agree
Reactions: checkum

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
"Sub-ohming is technically anything below 1.0 ohm. It is the resulting power applied to the quantity of juice that is relevant. - .78 ohm resistance should be fine but to be equal to my 1.2 ohm coil at 12 watts you would simply lower your wattage.
Also consider that increasing ohms usually means longer wire i.e. more surface area of coil exposure to wick & juice. Probably a better vape I would think.

You are using more power (i.e. watts) and less resistance (i.e. ohms) so you are running a lot hotter (more amps) than I am." Boiler Guy

Hah. I hadn't realised that .78W is considered subohming. I lowered my wattage to 12.5W. which I think was a bit better but still had to clean my coils pretty soon into my session. I have a feeling the main culprit in my case is that I take alot of puffs/drags in a short amount of time because I can-due to the fact that I'm not using nicotine. So maybe the coils are getting burnt and gunked up alot more quickly than happens to most people on this forum since you're intake of nicotine which would slow down the amount of drags over the same period of time. I hope that makes sense!

I bet you are burning the cotton and it's got nothing to do with the NETs!

felinefan

Sep 22, 2017
Hi Anthony.
Believe it or not I'm using Evan's Real Extracts.
I would have thought that my Narda single coil was an rda that would suit NETs. as its not too airy and I close airflow hole down to at least halfway.
If I try the Vaporesso Ceramic coils that would mean going back to tanks..Lately I'm into RDAs but I'll look into it.
I think it might be that my frequent puffing is probably causing cotton to burn. So now that i've lowered wattage to 12.5W should I just take less puffs per minute or just put up with very frequent coil cleaning/wick changing?

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Hi Jonny,

I might be going through the same thing. When I vape mouth to lung all day I use higher ratio PGVG juice and by the end of the day I have a bit of a scratchy throat and some mild ill effects. I don't get a rash though so I don't think I am PG intolerant. I think PG is more of an irritant and a little harsher on humans than VG.

When I vape mainly sub-ohm on weekends with MaxVG liquids I don't get any harshness in the throat.

One thing I have not experimented with is high VG in mouth to lung devices.

scratchy throat and mild cough is the beginning signs of PG intolerance for me.....

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I am new to vaping which I am using to quit smoking cigarettes. I have been using the innokin T22 which I like as well as a Juul which I started with. I am going to retire the Juul for many reasons. What I am looking for is a small MTL device which I can use with natural tobaccos. Any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the endura 22! I find the endura t20 and t22 are ideal for NET vaping. They have affordable coils and good flavour. The one drawback is that I don't think you can rebuild on those coils.

I still use old Protanks and Aspire K1s for NETs.

• Agree
Reactions: checkum

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I am new to vaping which I am using to quit smoking cigarettes. I have been using the innokin T22 which I like as well as a Juul which I started with. I am going to retire the Juul for many reasons. What I am looking for is a small MTL device which I can use with natural tobaccos. Any suggestions?
Since NET's are soooo hard on coils (I re wick and dry burn after each tank) it's advisable to get something that you can rebuild. Personally, I like these. Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank
using the CLR (rebuildable) coil.

The main reason I like them (other than very good flavor) is that it's a swap and go tank. I have several extra prebuilt coils that I simply swap out when needed and rebuild when time allows.

The link above is for the 4ml tank. They also have it in a 2ml tank. Joyetech eGo ONE V2 Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread