Nautilus 2 weak flavour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feldrod

Sep 28, 2017
Hi guys.
I have a bit of problem. As much as I love my nautilus 2 I have to admit the flavour is muted compared to low-end Melo III Mini. Is there problem with coil (using 1.8ohm on 12.5W and also used .7ohm on 21W and it was a bit better but nowhere ompared to MELO) or is it typical problem of this tank? Don't get me wrong. I love this tank but think flavour would be stronger. I am using premixed liquids which in Melo 3 Mini have nice strong flavour but in Nautilus it is " Yeah it is this and this" but that's all.I like when I buy Menthol get hit in my face with that menthol. Which I get in MELO. With the same liquid I can't achieve it in Nautilus.
So if the problem is not in defective coil or generally bad coil, is my only solution to DIY high flavour % ?

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Aspire itself the coils are made for up to 5V (that's around 14W)

Just because they say it can go that high does not mean it will perform the way you want it to maxed out. I find that my wattage only coils perform best 20-25% lower that the recommended rating. TC coils I do Max out but control the vape by the temperature.

Reactions: stols001

Feldrod

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks alot. But Nautilus 2 was peak of my budget and I thought it would be better than X as many people I asked on local forums said that X has problems with gurgling, spitting, short lasting coils etc. So I went with 2. I will try the Triton Mini coils as soon as I will buy new coils. Which one do you suggest? Clapton, Kanthal or Ni200? (I don't mind nickel as I am OK with TC)
Also i was thinking about rebuilding coils. Any suggestion on wire diameter (wanna use SS316 for TC) and amount of twists? I want bit tighter draw (to hit coil more)

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Thanks alot. But Nautilus 2 was peak of my budget and I thought it would be better than X as many people I asked on local forums said that X has problems with gurgling, spitting, short lasting coils etc. So I went with 2. I will try the Triton Mini coils as soon as I will buy new coils. Which one do you suggest? Clapton, Kanthal or Ni200? (I don't mind nickel as I am OK with TC)
Also i was thinking about rebuilding coils. Any suggestion on wire diameter (wanna use SS316 for TC) and amount of twists? I want bit tighter draw (to hit coil more)
Triton clapton coils & that's not an easy one too answer. Wire gauge & such is down to personal preference. Might wanna just start with 28g. There are lots of good MTL rtas out there. Serpent mini, merlin mini & obs engine would be my choice but kayfun blow everything out of water if your gonna spend more.
My favourite setup is Provari with kabuki but that's damn expensive. Provaris last a lifetime though & kabukis are very well built. I like my Kabuki for ease of use as it just takes nautilus coils :)

• Agree

Feldrod

Sep 28, 2017
Don't get me wrong guys. Baby has quite nice flavour. But I look for MTL only experience and I have one problem with SMOK that is more personal than technical as by my op they are just milking the industry with no innovations (No I don't think X-Baby, GPriv/2 and MOAR LEDZ are innovations) but in praxis I have nothing against their products. They just could use more innovation.

• Agree
Reactions: Coyote628

Feldrod

Sep 28, 2017
OK so I got another problem. The Naut is starting to dry hit on me. I use 50/50 base only. Is it too VG for it? I wouldn't mind using higher PG but it is pain in the .... to get 30VG liquids nowadays and DIY is more expensive option for me rn (don't ask why, I just got good resources)
Is it problem of the coil? Because I am using MELO III coils for about a month. I have Naut for two weeks and the .7ohm is spitting dry hits like crazy and 1.8ohm dry hits sometimes (on .7 I tried anywhere from 16W to 22W and dry hits all over, the 1.8 I regurarily use 12W but now 9.5W and it dry hits as often as on 12W. WTH?

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
OK so I got another problem. The Naut is starting to dry hit on me. I use 50/50 base only. Is it too VG for it? I wouldn't mind using higher PG but it is pain in the .... to get 30VG liquids nowadays and DIY is more expensive option for me rn (don't ask why, I just got good resources)
Is it problem of the coil? Because I am using MELO III coils for about a month. I have Naut for two weeks and the .7ohm is spitting dry hits like crazy and 1.8ohm dry hits sometimes (on .7 I tried anywhere from 16W to 22W and dry hits all over, the 1.8 I regurarily use 12W but now 9.5W and it dry hits as often as on 12W. WTH?
Sounds like a dodgy batch of coils!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It could be your coils, are they authentic? I too find that the 0.7 coil has good flavor, but if you haven't tried the 1.6 coil it is the perfect balance between the hard draw of the 1.8 and the flavor of the 0.7 (IMO). Airflow and wattage are really important for the Nautlius 2, as it's such a small tank. You can certainly use triton mini coils in your Nautilus to see if that helps, but honestly if you prefer the Melo III for flavor, then you do. It's not a big deal.

If you are getting dry hits, it's a sign that something isn't working wicking wise? You could try a lower PG but I run MAX VG in my N2 tanks (I am sensitive to PG) and I'm able to make it work. I do that by consistently drawing more air through the drip tip AFTER I've inhaled my vapor, to consistently wick juice up into the coil .With this method, I don't get dry hits. Certainly, there are some better flavor tanks than the N2, but some of them are very expensive. To be fair to the N2, for the price and what it does, it's a rather nice little drop-in coils tank, but if you prefer the flavor of your Melo III, after you sort out getting your N2 functioning correctly, there is no reason not to return to that tank if you prefer it.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Skold
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread