Nautilus BVC Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

nudnud

Jun 3, 2015
Hi all. I cant seem to find an answer to this:

-Am i required to wash the new coils before using it?

Every time i replaced my coils, the first 20+ puffs taste relatively muted and my tongue feels numb. Sometimes it even taste like mild coffee, but my ejuice flavor is vanilla!
However, after using it for a day or 2, the taste and my vaping experience of the coil improves.

-What should i do when i change a new coil every time? I have primed it properly and letting the juice soak up for a good 10mins.

---> vaping on Aspire Nautilus tank(the big one, not the mini) and eleaf iStick 30W. The coil is 1.6ohm and usually i vape on the setting of 4.0V/10W

Jreese37

Aug 17, 2015
Perhaps it is due to the wicking material of the BVC. I had some really great vapes on those. But they were incredibly hit or miss. I have had instances of a whole five pack of coils being bad for one reason or another. Either in the wrong shell(1.6 ohm in a BDC shell), or hot spots, or gurgling, the list goes on lol.

I used a mini Nautilus for months and loved it right up until the point that I tried my Subtank mini.

My advice would be to try a newer tank, one with a coil advertised as organic cotton. Or see if someone will rebuild one of your BVC shells with cotton. They make some absolutely incredible tanks now that will absolutely blow you away after vaping on a Nautilus. Juice will never taste the same after you get it from a cotton wick either lol.(JUST MY PREFERENCE)

I don't know about now, but the wicking material in BVC coils was once made of ceramic. It's possible that the ceramic material is sort of 'breaking in' if you will. It could be in part the insulator in your coils also.

I had the best luck with my BVC coils when I worked the wattage up over a time period of about a day when starting on a new coil. I would take a few puffs with way low wsttage and just work my way up over the course of the day. I never tried washing one prior to vaping it either. Maybe worth a shot?

Reactions: nudnud

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2015
Somewhere In PA
I know you said you are priming your coils are you just priming the little holes or a few drops down the center as well? I also do short draws without firing for five mins and then let it sit for five mins. When i first used a bvc coil i did not do that and i had that weird muted taste and experienced the "better" flavor the more i used it. Now im good from the start.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
While many have opinions of why it happens, I can say it is most likely a Nature of the beast type thing. I had the same experience as you with the nautilus coils, drove me crazy. All this and I was only getting two to three days out of a coil, meaning I'd get about a day and a half of good vaping. the rest of the time was the coil breaking in or crapping out. While it is convenient, replaceable factory coiled devices don't do it for me anymore.

Reactions: Jreese37

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
The Nautilus coils are all now cotton for the wicking material. Do NOT try to wash or rinse the coils prior to use.

Put in a new coil, fill the tank, and let sit. You will see little bubbles coming out of the wick holes, once no more bubbles form, you can do a primer puff or two. I personally close off the airflow, either by rotating the airflow ring, or just by putting my thumb or finger over the hole, then suck on the drip tip. It should be like trying to suck a thick milkshake through a straw. You should on have to do one or two 'sucks' this way.

Then set power to the low end of the recommendations on the coil (1.6 ohm 12-15W or 3.3-5.0V, 1.8 ohm 10-13W or 3.3-6.0V) and take some hits. The vapor production will be minimal, and you might get some 'gurgling". Slowly increase the power over a couple of hits till you get your desired flavor or vapor production.

If you continue to get gurgling and possibly spitting, not all is lost, and can be corrected. You will want to 'flick' out the excess juice. You do this by taking off the drip tip, and covering the opening with a paper towel or a napkin. Then while holding on FIRMLY to the tank, battery and paper, flick the whole thing away from you (again HOLD ON TIGHT, you don't want to send things flying out of your hand and across the room) a couple of times. You are trying to flick the excess juice out of the chimney and into the paper towel or napkin. Replace the drip tip, and try a couple more hits. If it still gurgles, increase the power and take some hits. Don't be afraid to go above the recommend power settings.

Once the gurgling and spitting goes away, lower the power to your preferred setting.

One last thing, if you feel you are still getting dry hits, trying finding a lower VG ratio juice. It used to be with the old ceramic wicking material, you really didn't want to go higher than 50 or 60 VG ratios. Because higher VG juice is thick and has a hard time wicking. With the new cotton wicking material you can go with higher VG ratios, but sometimes you still might need to find lower VG juice to get things to work (besides, higher PG, lower VG is good for flavor chasers. Lower PG and higher VG is good for cloud chasers, which isn't what the Nautilus is good at. The Atlantis or Triton is meant for cloud chasers).

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
The easiest way to tell if they are the new coils is to look at the size of the wick holes. The newer cotton coils have larger holes.

They are not marked as cotton coils. Aspire just quit producing the ceramic wicks and replaced them with cotton. If your local vape shop still has the older ceramic coils, they aren't selling very many of them.

Actually the odds are that you are already buying the cotton wick coils.

Also, be very wary of cloned coils. When you get a pack of 5 coils, be sure to scratch off the "Scratch and Check" area. Go to Aspire - Best E Cigarette, Clearomizer, Tank, nautilus and at the very bottom right of the page (scroll down), there is a "Security Code" entry box. Enter the numbers under the "Scratch and Check" and press "GO". It should come back "is original" , if it comes back as "The code does not exist", or has been check greater than 1 times, then you've gotten cloned coils.

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I did everything i can to prime it. Well, the flavour is breaking in so i guess this is a norm for nautilus BVC coils.
I agree, I've never had a nautilus BVC that didn't give an odd taste until you've Vaped a tank full to break it in. Not sure if the cause is residue on the metal coil can, the organic cotton, or what, but that off taste is there at first. Strong flavor a can mask it though and that might be why some don't notice it. I do, every time I put in a new coil. I don't have the problem with my GS Air 1.2 ohm cotton coils or the regular 1.5 ohm dual coils, only takes a dozen or so hits to break it in though the new tanks really require a good cleaning before using.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I never understand these kinds of posts. My wife uses Nautilus tanks and coils exclusively and I maintain them for her by refilling the tanks and changing coils when they need changed. I've never experienced any odd or muted taste when changing coils. I put 3 or 4 drops of liquid directly into the coil. After installing on a filled tank I then cover the air intake hole and take c couple of puffs to pull more liquid into the new coil. This has always resulted in very good full flavor with no odd taste right from the get go.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I never understand these kinds of posts. My wife uses Nautilus tanks and coils exclusively and I maintain them for her by refilling the tanks and changing coils when they need changed. I've never experienced any odd or muted taste when changing coils. I put 3 or 4 drops of liquid directly into the coil. After installing on a filled tank I then cover the air intake hole and take c couple of puffs to pull more liquid into the new coil. This has always resulted in very good full flavor with no odd taste right from the get go.
Curious, what flavors are you vaping in it, and how often do you replace the coils?

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've experienced the odd and muted flavor on the cotton BVC's. But it's always when I jump the gun and start using it right after filling with a new coil. Like everyone says, prime all the holes a few times, you can watch it soak in, then put a couple drops down the center of the coil. Then honestly I let it sit for like a half hour just to make sure. I usually take a few puffs on the smaller airhole settings before as well. Then I start at like 7 watts and slowly work back up to my normal power levels, which are between 10-12. These things are great, amazing flavor and vapor production (but doesn't break the bank on juice usage like the sub ohms, which is why I haven't switched) and with clearer juices you can easily get a couple weeks out of each one.

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
You want the truth? You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!!! (always wanted to say that ;) )

But truthfully, I can say that 90% of the time, that people that have weird issues with Aspire coils have gotten cloned coils, that look like genuine coils, but just aren't made to the same standards that Aspire does.

A lot of stores (internet and B&M) try to maximize their profits and try to get the lowest priced stuff, and either willingly or unwillingly get cloned products by not purchasing from authorized resellers.

Case in point, I'm banned from one local vape shop because before I paid for some Aspire coils I scratched off the "Scratch and Check" area and entered the numbers on Aspires web site and they came back "This number has been used 'some number greater than one' times" I pointed it out to the owner who was ringing me up. We got into a heated discussion about it, in front of a packed store. Needless to say, it eventually turned ugly and I was asked to leave and never come back. Fortunately it wasn't one of my normal shops I go to (I was in a hurry and needed some coils and they were the closest I could find), so I didn't care.

Since then, I've either used my shops that I know that purchase either from Aspire Wholesale directly, or from the US importer, or I just go directly to Aspire and do a big order to stock up (I usually get a couple of friends to go in with me to make a BIG ORDER and get the free shipping when I deal directly with Aspire). That way I know for sure I'm getting authentic stuff, and I too haven't had any 'weird' issues. Just fill, sit, prime, and go.

P.S.
Yes, I have gotten a dud coil or two from Aspire. But that's just the nature of mass produced items. No one is perfect. But out of the hundreds of coils I've purchased between my friends and I, it literally has been less than 10... so far ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread