Nautilus mini noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wo pie

Mar 24, 2016
Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this. I have an innokin itaste 1280 battery, and an aspire nautilus mini with a 1.8 ohm bvc coil. The battery is vv 3.5-5.0. I noticed the bottom of the coil where it contacts the spring spins freely. Is there a reason for this? When I refill my tank and put it back together the airflow is different from time to time. However the adjustment is the same. Why is this? I have some inconsistent problems with juice spitting into my mouth. Any advice would be appreciated. Also is my equipment compatible? Thanks so much!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Are you talking about where the atomizer attaches to the deck portion of the tank? That should be securely fastened down. I have had mine stick inside the chimney when refilling so tighten down before you reassembly the tank. Also clean the small pin holes under the washer if that has liquid in it as I found that to cause problems with one of mine just yesterday.

Hope this helps! Not an expert by far but offering my assistance. Good Luck :vapor:

Last edited:
Reactions: wo pie

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
As the coil gets older it will clog. If juice is spitting in your mouth you are flooding the coil. Either turn the power up or take lighter draws. As the coil ages it becomes less efficient and can also cause the spitting. Sweet eliquids gunk up coils faster.Yes your equipment is compatible. Never noticed the bottom portion of the coil moving but it shouldn't effect the draw.

Geyner

May 9, 2016
I have a similar problem, it feels clogged after just 2 days of changing the coil. I'm using the Nautilus mini with 1.6 ohm BVC coils and a B&W 12mg liquid. Usually I vape at 12W or 4.5V. The mod is a Kangertech Kbox Mini which by the way, has an issue in all those models. It does a "heat" check when cold (usually 5 minutes apart from each drag or when changing the battery) and it fires the Voltage at 7.3, then lowers it to 4.5.

So, first things first, what's with the fast clogging? I get tired and change the coil after a week and it is getting old.

Thanks for the help (first time here btw, so probably my questions are MEGA noob)

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
I have a similar problem, it feels clogged after just 2 days of changing the coil. I'm using the Nautilus mini with 1.6 ohm BVC coils and a B&W 12mg liquid. Usually I vape at 12W or 4.5V. The mod is a Kangertech Kbox Mini which by the way, has an issue in all those models. It does a "heat" check when cold (usually 5 minutes apart from each drag or when changing the battery) and it fires the Voltage at 7.3, then lowers it to 4.5.

So, first things first, what's with the fast clogging? I get tired and change the coil after a week and it is getting old.

Thanks for the help (first time here btw, so probably my questions are MEGA noob)
How often do you clean your tank? Do you do a quick wipe down when you refill or change juices?
I've owned the same nautilus mini tank for 1 yr now and it still is working well for me, but I have found that keeping it clean is a big part of making sure the juice isn't leaving behind residue. Over time that can create a sludge of build up that ends up being sucked up into a new coil. Just throwing out some personal experience. Also, I noticed since aspire changed their coils I have lost about 2 days lifespan off the coils. What flavor of ejuice do you use? If its a dessert type or sweet vape those are known to gunk up and clog aspire coils rather quickly. What VG/PG ratio are you using? Higher VG mixes can also cut coil lifespan short. Have you recently changed to any new juices? I know for me personally some juice brands ruin my coils faster than others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Reactions: dsheik

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

Two days a clogged BVC coil , never had that happen , must be some wicked juice . A big problem is your Kangertech mod jumping up to that type of voltage , a high spike in power often permanently kills a coil including BVC's .

They still work but it will permanently kill it's efficiency and it taste burnt from then on , it's happened to me when i wasn't paying attention and the mods power was at a much higher setting for a puff.

BVC coils usually last most people two weeks , i have had much much better results with the 1.8 over the 1.6 ohm coils.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS

As far as the mod, you will need to find a better one. I had the same issues with the kbox mini and it just cant be used for a reliable vape.

I would suspect that is the problem. Id start over with a fresh coil on a different mod.

Geyner

May 9, 2016
How often do you clean your tank? Do you do a quick wipe down when you refill or change juices?
I've owned the same nautilus mini tank for 1 yr now and it still is working well for me, but I have found that keeping it clean is a big part of making sure the juice isn't leaving behind residue. Over time that can create a sludge of build up that ends up being sucked up into a new coil. Just throwing out some personal experience. Also, I noticed since aspire changed their coils I have lost about 2 days lifespan off the coils. What flavor of ejuice do you use? If its a dessert type or sweet vape those are known to gunk up and clog aspire coils rather quickly. What VG/PG ratio are you using? Higher VG mixes can also cut coil lifespan short. Have you recently changed to any new juices? I know for me personally some juice brands ruin my coils faster than others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Thanks for the reply! I clean it up not as often as I should apparently, so I'll make a habit out of it, thanks for the advise. I'm using B&W Melon Baller, Lemon Blast, Bakers Dream, Island Breeze, pretty much all they had. Just one liquid per tank at the time, it's a 60/40 mix and the first few days it tastes great, then, I get less smoke and no throat hit (Vapers stone?). I've been using those juices for a couple of months now, great taste at first, but are too liquid so they evaporate faaast man.

Geyner

May 9, 2016
I have also found with my Mini if the tank is running low you need to keep it level or refill because if you start sucking air in the wick holes that will fry a coil. I have tried to clean the coil without success. Once it tastes burnt it always tastes burnt.
Yeah I tried cleaning it up too and it just doesn't work. I've never got a burnt taste, but a "old" like taste, don't know how to describe it other than feeling like I'm vaping pure PG with no throat hit, no flavor, just the smoke, its weird.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Well if your getting smoke instead of Vapor something is seriously wrong there. Sometimes the flavor hangs in the atomizers in the cotton and can make the next flavor taste like crapola. I use one tank for Tobaccos, one for deserts and another for Fruits. This gives me the best life on the coils or atomizers. I also sometimes when switching flavors give the coil a quick wash under warm water and blow it out and then prime it like a new coil.

Good Luck and hope my tips help

Last edited:

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
Thanks for the reply! I clean it up not as often as I should apparently, so I'll make a habit out of it, thanks for the advise. I'm using B&W Melon Baller, Lemon Blast, Bakers Dream, Island Breeze, pretty much all they had. Just one liquid per tank at the time, it's a 60/40 mix and the first few days it tastes great, then, I get less smoke and no throat hit (Vapers stone?). I've been using those juices for a couple of months now, great taste at first, but are too liquid so they evaporate faaast man.
dsheik and steves45 gave some good advice. One more question...
Is that 60/40 PG/VG?

If so, I would consider vaping at a lower wattage on a 1.6 ohm BVC coil I usually stay at around 10watts for my personal preference. PG evaporates much quicker than VG and doesn't need as much heat. So at higher wattage, you might be sucking up the pg and diluting your juice. (Just a theory, honestly I'm no mixologist or chemist) Also for flavor preference, like others have said try a 1.8 ohm coil. Priming it and then slowly easing the watts, from 7.5 to about 9watts is my sweet spot. Though I vape 50/50 PG/VG for most my e-juices. You could be experiencing a little bit of vapors tonque, but it sounds more like a coil problem to me. If you're noticing decreased flavor AND Vapor production in just two days of
use either your mod is frying your coils or your juice is. It's possible with sweeter vapes that the coil gets corroded a little sooner, but two days is still too fast for a bvc coil. I've never used a mod by kanger so I can't speak to its quality. If you're looking for a new mod, I would recommend the IPV D3 or (later version) which is pretty cheap and has great reviews all over reddit. I just purchased the RX200 by wismec but its a big bulky 3 18650 battery mod. The nautilus mini would look so tiny on it. LOL

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The VG/PG should be thoroughly mixed and not separating in the tank so I doubt that is happening (IMHO). The spitting is usually from not enough power or wattage. I find that different e-Liquids require different wattage even though I normally use max VG. Tobacco are the highest wattage whereas fruits and deserts taste better at lower wattage. I also find when I start chain vaping I start to lower the wattage as the tank starts to heat up the e-Liquids and no need for more power.

Reactions: Kimmyvapes

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
Yeah, I have my suspicions there too, any mod you recommend?

Most mods will work just fine. In my case I wanted a no frills compact box mod so I went with the Innokin cool fire 4 and shelved the kbox mini. Ive had no erratic behavior out of the Innokin, but most mods will work just fine.

I wouldnt spend a lot on one, but you need to ditch the kbox. As long as its fires at 7.3 V when your set on 4.5 V your going to kill your coil. Sure it will still heat up and pass vapor but the coil is shot and your not going to get a good vape out of it.

Geyner

May 9, 2016
dsheik and steves45 gave some good advice. One more question...
Is that 60/40 PG/VG?

If so, I would consider vaping at a lower wattage on a 1.6 ohm BVC coil I usually stay at around 10watts for my personal preference. PG evaporates much quicker than VG and doesn't need as much heat. So at higher wattage, you might be sucking up the pg and diluting your juice. (Just a theory, honestly I'm no mixologist or chemist) Also for flavor preference, like others have said try a 1.8 ohm coil. Priming it and then slowly easing the watts, from 7.5 to about 9watts is my sweet spot. Though I vape 50/50 PG/VG for most my e-juices. You could be experiencing a little bit of vapors tonque, but it sounds more like a coil problem to me. If you're noticing decreased flavor AND Vapor production in just two days of
use either your mod is frying your coils or your juice is. It's possible with sweeter vapes that the coil gets corroded a little sooner, but two days is still too fast for a bvc coil. I've never used a mod by kanger so I can't speak to its quality. If you're looking for a new mod, I would recommend the IPV D3 or (later version) which is pretty cheap and has great reviews all over reddit. I just purchased the RX200 by wismec but its a big bulky 3 18650 battery mod. The nautilus mini would look so tiny on it. LOL

I used to do 10w but I was not getting enough vapor, throat hit or flavor, I went all the way up to 20w and it got a little better. Its been a week now and the flavor is all gone, apparently just the PG is left. I'm getting suspicious about the juice and the mod. I didn't want to change the mod, I just got the darn thing :( but I think I'm going to have to do it. I'm going to LA this week and I saw a bunch of vapor stores there (not like in my country, where you have to dig a deep hole to find them).

My apologies for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "priming it", is that when you put a couple of drops of juice on the cotton? And that RX200 is huge! the nautilus will look like a shrunken head there :D

Geyner

May 9, 2016
Most mods will work just fine. In my case I wanted a no frills compact box mod so I went with the Innokin cool fire 4 and shelved the kbox mini. Ive had no erratic behavior out of the Innokin, but most mods will work just fine.

I wouldnt spend a lot on one, but you need to ditch the kbox. As long as its fires at 7.3 V when your set on 4.5 V your going to kill your coil. Sure it will still heat up and pass vapor but the coil is shot and your not going to get a good vape out of it.
Thanks for the advise, I'll look for another mod, it's been a week since I change the coil and the juice tastes like old newspaper or something

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
What flavor or brand of e-Liquid are you using? I have found with my 3 Minis that I am constantly adjusting the power for different flavors and when switching to a cold tank. Once the atomizer heats up inside the tank it will wick better and require less power. One thing I found that a Nautilus Mini does not like is sweeteners. They will clog or fry a coil faster than any other e-Liquids.

Reactions: Kimmyvapes

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
What flavor or brand of e-Liquid are you using? I have found with my 3 Minis that I am constantly adjusting the power for different flavors and when switching to a cold tank. Once the atomizer heats up inside the tank it will wick better and require less power. One thing I found that a Nautilus Mini does not like is sweeteners. They will clog or fry a coil faster than any other e-Liquids.
You are so right about the sweeteners, I just switched juice brands because of that very reason. I got tired of changing coils every 3 days! Now I'm only using juices with no added sweeteners in my nautis, will see how much of a difference it makes on my coil life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread