Nautilus Tank Atomizer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDrBob

Oct 4, 2011
Dewey, AZ
Have both the mini and full-sized versions of this tank.

Had the same problem with both.

I screw the atomizer into the base unit of the tank. Fill the tank. Screw the base unit on the tank. And vape. So far so good.

BUT, with both units, after some use, a couple of months, when I unscrew the base unit to do a refill, the atomizer remains stuck inside the tank. And it won't screw out (at least I cannot get it to do so). Broke the mini trying pliers to extract the atomizer. Now, the atomizer is stuck on the full-sized version.

Any ideas out there for how to fix this? Is it a design flaw by aspire? The tanks are way too pricey to keep going through them every couple of months.

Thanks.

Reactions: thetrucker

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
When you place the coil into the base use a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the coil on the knurled top lightly just enough to tighten the coil down. If you clamp down too hard it will disfigure the top but not to worry as long as it is not to out of round, it will still work fine.

To remove the coil from the tank section, place the same pliers around the smooth lip that is located in between the threads and the white center pin grommet and loosen it.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
It just comes from tightening the base too much. All that is needed to secure the base is to just hand tighten with minimal effort, the seal takes care of the rest. No need to crank on it until it can no longer twist.

As you tighten the base the top threads on the coil are what you are torquing on and if over tightened, upon unscrewing the base, the coil will unscrew from the bottom and not the top thus the coil remains attached to the tank stem.

Reactions: morningdew

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
From my experience, if I don't tighten it enough, it leaks like mad.
Where does it leak, out the sides of the tank/base or under the coil?

There certainly is a fine line getting the tank just right. I bought a replacement base after about a year of constant use and it sure helped matters.

BrianBradford

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It leaks at the bottom of the glass. It's super annoying because sometimes my pocket will start to be drenched in e-juice.....

I've took it apart and cleaned it up. It wouldn't leak for a couple days, but then it will start leaking again. I suspect its the rubber seal/ring, but I don't know where to buy a replacement. And as op said, it's too expensive to buy replacement tank/base to keep it going.

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
You can get replacement parts directly from Aspire.
http://online.aspirecig.com/tank-clearomizer-c-8.html
Just make sure you are selecting the right parts for the mini or standard Nautilus.

You may have just torn the bottom gasket if you are having leaking issues from the base. So just order the gasket. You really only need the base if you messed up the threads or have dropped things and the AFC ring isn't spinning properly.

As for the coil getting stuck in the upper. Again you may have cross threaded things and messed up the threads, again, you can just order the upper hardware.

One thing a lot of people have found that helps sealing and making disassembly easier, is to lube the bottom gasket with some juice, prior to assembly.

After a couple of months, it probably rusted on tight...
No rust. I took the whole thing apart two days ago, cleand everything, reassembled, and filled it with Big Willlie's Custard. If it leaks again, I'm throwing it out and buying a new one. I have too many replacement coils that would go to waste.

Reactions: David Wolf

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
There is an O-ring in the chimney that receives the top of the atomizer when you screw the base on. The O-ring is difficult to see, but you can feel it by screwing an atomizer into the chimney without the base present. If the O-ring is decent, you will feel a "rubber on metal" type of resistance as you tighten the atomizer into the chimney. If the O-ring is flimsy, however, the tank will likely flood the coil and leak out through the AFC.

One possible fix I have seen is to take a bottom O-ring from an old atomizer and put it on the top of the new atomizer just below the threads and above the juice holes. Then, when you screw the atomizer into the chimney, the O-ring will help to seal the tank more effectively. I saw this on YouTube, but I cannot remember the link.

Reactions: K Williams

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
One last thing.... Make sure you got an authentic tank. There are so many cheap knock-off units that are sold as authentic that just don't perform properly. Even from B&M stores you have to be careful.

So always try the 'scratch and check' code on all the Aspire products, and verify via their website.

Or better yet, order directly from Aspire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread