• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Navy banning e-cigarettes from ships and aircraft over exploding battery concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
There won't be a blanket ban, but all the services already place vaping in the same category as smoking. This means that you're required to use the devices in designated "tobacco areas". The Air Force has gone a step further and prohibits smoking and vaping even if you're walking down the sidewalk. Makes me glad I'm retired now.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
anyone who categorises passive vaping in the same way as smoking, doesn't have a brain to begin with.. seriously.. That's so idiotic, these individuals need to be ashamed of themselves.

However, the exploding battery bit, i do get. It's difficult to even buy batteries these days from OS.. They have to come up with a safe way of travelling for them.

That said, if it was really all that common, there'd be passenger flights all over the world going down with the millions of mobile phones in the sky travelling daily worldwide. So i'm a bit torn on this, but hey, we all do know of some instances where batteries explode.. phone and e cig alike.. so.. yeah.... more research needs to be done, and improvements made to batteries and their carrying safety in flight

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Back when I was active duty we were required to bring any personal electric device to the Electronics Technicians to approve. They would check the devices for safety and put a tag on it. I'd like to see the NAVY move towards allowing regulated devices with relevant built-in safety features, have the ET's check them out. But it does come down to safety and it's not like they have forbidden sailors from using them...which they could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread