1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

NCi ECIG Clinical Trials looking for particapants

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Krakkan, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Krakkan

Krakkan Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

2. geeker

geeker Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So, they really are getting around to it! I'd sign up, but they'd probably stick my with puffing on the unlit cig.

3. Drewsworld

Drewsworld Moved On ECF Veteran

Wow thats cool, I think ...Wheres TB when we need him...Is this cool TB????

4. Krakkan

Yeah I happened across this when searching for info about getting Healthcare to pay for clinical trials lol -- decided to search system and bam lol

5. master_meow

master_meow Moved On

I dont know too much about ct.gov, but do they just list the trials going on? Because I noticed it was added today to ct.gov, but down below:

Estimated Enrollment: 32
    Study Start Date: February 2009
    Estimated Primary Completion Date: September 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

6. Krakkan

They still seeking participants -- maybe it has already been underway since then but just need more folks to evaluate

7. Momof3

Momof3 Super Member ECF Veteran

Why does it say in the description that they are being developed and marketed by the tobacco industry?

Are C7 or NJoy owned by a tobacco company?

8. smokinsimon

smokinsimon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Why do they keep referring to them as "so called" electronic cigarettes?
    That's so dismissive.

9. Krakkan

Maybe they know something we don't lol

10. Krakkan

I also notice this often in articles about E-cigs

11. OutWest

OutWest Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Very interesting to read - thank you! Been meaning to run a search on clinicaltrials.gov to see if there was by chance any signs of anything but kept forgetting. Also interesting to see who's sponsoring it, which brands are being evaluated, and where the trial is taking place (Virginia Commonwealth University - a uni that receives huge amounts of funding from Philip Morris). Makes me wonder if there might be an NJoy/PM connection after all... Another possible reason for that uni is that they are willing to perform tobacco research there (unlike some unis)

12. OutWest

13. Krakkan

Nah I dont think so but anything possible in this crazy world.

14. Krakkan

15. Krakkan

I remember reading somewhere someone hinting about this study and that we would see PM come into the E-cig in September do you think this study is coincidence? I forget who posted it but he talked about Cancer institutes etc.

16. Momof3

Momof3 Super Member ECF Veteran

That detailed description was the only thing that jumped out at me. Tobacco, tobacco, tobacco....

I'd like to see that section discussed, but it's Fri. Sorry Krakkan, having problems following at both, maybe more people will jump in tomorrow.

17. Krakkan

:) no problem I was just trying to get as much input as I could as well lol

18. Krakkan

Big Tobacco may have a hand in this you never know

19. OutWest

I think it was Sun that hinted at it? Cant remember.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but when I was reading the article at prwatch.org site about the PM/VCU thing, another article caught my eye The Ultimate Irony: Health Care Industry Adopts Big Tobacco's PR Tactics | Center for Media and Democracy In that article it talks about how one way to get people to lobby on their behalf is to get a few people to say bad or false things about the issue in the media, which in turn will cause people to write letters, make calls, etc. And, if you get someone who's a so-called expert to say the negative stuff, it'll spread to other media outlets on it's own, causing more letter writing, etc. And anyway, the paranoid cynic in me cant help but wonder if maybe that's what we've been seeing with the ecig. The negative stuff started appearing more frequently in the press around Feb, right around the same time as the clinical trial thing started. Coincidence? And, by having a small handful of people say how "inhaling PG might be bad and there's no studies on it", when we know from that 1942 Times article that there have been studies on PG, and all the other things we've seen and same bogus crap (like flavors are for kids) repeated over and over, it does make you wonder if we were played and have been unwitting pawns to create awareness and for grassroots lobbying.

It's probably just a coincidence, for we know some good reasons these people would want ecigs shut down (the funding that WHO, Tobacco Free Kids, and American Lung Association get from big pharma, for example). And, at this point I dont care if I have been played, so to speak, for I do feel ecigs can save lives. But it's one of those things that makes me go "hmmm. I wonder..."

20. smokinsimon

smokinsimon Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've had the feeling from the get go, that BT had a hand in ecigs, I still haven't found anything to change my mind. It's too perfect.
    I guess I'll find out in September eh. I don't think it's coincidence at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.