NCR vs IMR battery - any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanveeradil

Mar 5, 2014
India
Greetings to all,
As per the title, whats the real life experience difference between NCR and IMR batteries?

I know there is a lot of literature in the net on the difference between their chemistry and mode of function, advantages and disadvantages of each. Also im aware that IMR is recommended for vaping and some device manuals have even listed the brand of IMR to be used.

But what i want to know is have you guys experienced any difference from practical point of view? Like vape quality, flavour, vapor production, charge holding time before its time to recharge...etc etc.
Panasonic NCR is 3400 mah while AW , Efest IMR in 2000-2500 mah. And some like Sony, Samsung in between. Paperwise Panasonic looks strong, but its not strictly an IMR.
Looking for replies from someone with lots of experience with batteries and vaping...and also those with less experience :).

tanveeradil

Mar 5, 2014
India
NCR, ICR and IMR are all Lithium Ion Batteries, meaning all three have the same property as far as the functions of Lithium Ions are concerned (no memory, high drain) though IMR is higher draining than ICR -details discussed below. No idea where NCR stands in this regard).

Heres my contribution (with some knowledge about chemistry)

ICR - I = Lithium, C =cobalt , structure = LiCoO2
IMR - I = Lithium, M = Manganese, structure = LiMn2O4
IFR - I = Lithium, F - Ferrous (a.k.a Iron), structure = LiFePO4
NCR - ???

These acronyms are based on the chemicals used in the cathode end on the batttery

Im not going to bore you with details unless someone wants to know the scientific reasons for saying so but -

1) IMR typically have around 30 - 40% lower single charge life than ICR
2) IMR (also IFR) cannot be inherently overcharged, hence safer than ICR which can overcharge dangerously (esp for those like me who leave their batteries unattended in the charging state) - so please dont use ICR for vaping purpose, not that it will blow your mouth but theoretically (not always with reliable brands) it can explode while on overcharge.
3) NCR - No Idea

Simply Red

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I'm here, when I'm here
Heres my contribution (with some knowledge about chemistry)

ICR - I = Lithium, C =cobalt , structure = LiCoO2
IMR - I = Lithium, M = Manganese, structure = LiMn2O4
IFR - I = Lithium, F - Ferrous (a.k.a Iron), structure = LiFePO4
NCR - ???

N = Nickel, C = Cobalt ?? R = Rechargeable. Someone let me know if I passed. :D

NCR batteries are a new type of "hybrid" battery manufactured by Panasonic and others. NCR batteries use a Cobalt cathode like ICR batteries but have the same hybrid makeup with nickel which IMR batteries have. This provides for higher drain capabilities while also having higher overall battery capacity.

tanveeradil

Mar 5, 2014
India
Last edited:
Hey guys!

Forgive the post i'm actually a noob at the forums but work in a Vape shop here in Vegas.

So here it goes,

the specifics about NCR chemistry are coming as the info previously given about the other chems are accurate.

Here it goes,

NCR Li-Ion batteries are a new standard in the Lithium ion world. This chemistry of these batteries are LiNiCoAlO2. They are referred to as "NNP" batteries.

Yes, they are high drain similar to the IMR batteries but the AlO2 (Aluminum Dioxide) is used as an insulator. It coats the electrodes of the cell which protects again the number one enemy of Li-Ion cells. What is that enemy you ask? HEAT. The metal oxide coating (interior of the battery) significantly increases the safety of the battery by reducing the heat to almost nothing even in the event of a short circuit.

The 3400 NCR from Panasonic is a safe battery but keep in mind that the discharge current is not going to be like that of, oh say, the Sony 30-amps (IMR chem). The safe discharge current is going to be right around 10 amps and if you follow the rule about using no more than 80 percent of your battery's discharge current, you'll be perfectly fine with a battery that goes on, and on, and on. :D

Hope this helps,

JWAL

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Looking for replies from someone with lots of experience with batteries and vaping...and also those with less experience :).
Lot's of good explanation here. But what you asked is the "someone with lots of experience with batteries and vaping". In Vaping world, vapers wants to push the limits of the batteries and they (us) relies on people who does the actual testing. And from published papers on the net or otherwise...... tells us what we can do and what we can't do.

If and when the limit is pushed to the brink of thermal run a way, you will pay the price! Whether it be just destroyed battery or worse.... missing teeth!

So the answer become.... You need to read up and learn.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. Wouldn't you rather ask what battery should I use for which purpose? Before you ask, I will never buy and use Efest purple's .... EVER! Over rated and cheap batteries that are labeled pretty.

Cheers

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Batteries are all about useable power and safety. mah ratting means squat if it can't supply the amps to fire my coil. I use at least 30 amp continuous rated batteries on all my mods. On mech's this gives me an ample safety margin and great response time, on a DNA30 this gives me more useable power. A 10 amp battery will only run the DNA at max till the charge is 3.9 volts in the battery, a 30 amp battery will run it til its at 3.55 volts left in the battery.

Don't matter the mha's of a battery if it ain't got the balls to power your mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread