Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Hi, it's again the time I buy new 18650 batteries for my eleaf istick Pico.

I'd like something AW IMR Li-Mn since I read that they are the best to use but I just cannot find anything. They are all Li-ion, there's probably something I don't understand.

I'd like something at least 20A and something around 3000 mAh. I only vape at 13W on a 1.4 ohms coil.

I'm using this right now for the past 21 months:
Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh 20A Flat Top Battery
Which is a Samsung INR18650-25R, 2500 mAh, 25 amps and is unprotected. Was that a bad and unsafe choice when I bought them since they were unprotected?

Thank!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
All of these are 'safer chemistry' & will work well at your usual watt range.
The 3000mah will have slightly longer run time / between recharge cycles.

1w ~ 50w - 60w per cell
3000mah
Samsung 30Q 20a CDR
LGHg2 18ish a CDR
Sony vtc6 19ish a CDR
AW 3000mah

1W ~ 60w - 75w per cell
25a cdr
Sony vtc5A must be 'A'
LGHD series

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Reactions: DaveP

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
All of these are 'safer chemistry' & will work well at your usual watt range.
The 3000mah will have slightly longer run time / between recharge cycles.

1w ~ 50w - 60w per cell
3000mah
Samsung 30Q 20a CDR
LGHg2 18ish a CDR
Sony vtc6 19ish a CDR
AW 3000mah

1W ~ 60w - 75w per cell
25a cdr
Sony vtc5A must be 'A'
LGHD series

LG HG2 18650 Battery 3000mAh Flat Top INR18650HG2 High Drain 20A 3.7V Rechargeable IMR Brown
So this one would be a safe choice for use in a regulated vaporizer right? It says it's an hybrid IMR which I would then assume it's a safe chemistry battery?

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm currently using both Samsung 30Q and LG HG2.

I suggest that you learn a bit about the batteries currently in use for vapers.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mooch's battery table. If it's not on this table, you probably don't want it.

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum
img_4813-jpg.643937

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Thanks badatitude for those links, I read them a few years ago but they changed quite a bit, they are now much better and complete, it pretty much answered all the questions I was pondering, many thanks for doing this! I bought the Samsung 30Q.

If you want it a bit more complete, you could also add some info about CGR battery which is missing:
18650 IMR High Drain Panasonic CGR18650CH 10A Rechargeable Battery Cell
It's an IMR hybrid so safe chemistry but I wonder what does the G stand for. I'm also wondering what does the N stand for in an NCR battery (Nickel Cobalt Round?).

Your battery posts are much more complete, cleaner & easier to understand than Rolygate's. It should be replaced with yours. It's found right on the homepage, first link in the "Forum Suppliers" section:
Warning - rechargeable batteries for APVs

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The gcr18650ch 2250mah is a mediocre at best 10a CDR cell, why add info about a cell that really has no benefit to use for vaping.
There isn't much call for a 10a cdr cell and there are much better choices for a 10a cell like the LG MJ1 which is a good 3400mah 10a CDR cell.

The cell advertised in your link as 'better than' the GCR is actually an Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650ga 3300mah, a good 10a CDR.
Again not much call for a 10a cell & the LG MJ1 is at least equal to it.

Your original post stated " I'd like something at least 20A and something around 3000 mAh" .
As you can see on Mooch's chart posted above there is only one 3000mah cell that he has tested & proclaimed as a true 20a CDR cell.
But,, at your power levels any of the 3000mah cell suggested will work fine & be as safe as possible.
You do understand at your normal 13W using a single cell regulated power device you won't be drawing more than 5.2a from the battery. Even doubling your normal 13W to 26w will only draw 9.2a.
Vaping doesn't get much safer than using a cell at 50% of its CDR.

All of the 18650 cells suggested and or on Mooch's chart are 'safer chemistry' cells, there are no cells available that are 'safer', one is not 'safer' than the other.

If you're just interested in Li Ion chemistries ---> Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Yes, the GCR18650CH is a mediocre battery. I stopped using it in 2014. I'm only talking about it because I'm wondering what the letter means. I'm not talking about it as a question if it's a good battery to buy.

Yes I know about batteryuniversity.com, I love that website! A bit too complex for my knowledge most of the times though :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Would be a good idea to update Rolygate's post then because it always talks about batteries being protected or to use AW IMR Li-Mn
Warning - rechargeable batteries for APVs

Roly's battery post was last updated in 2013. It does need an update. Back then lots of vapers were using mech mods. At one time there was a button device that installed inline with the battery to protect from shorts. These days the batteries we use are different chemistry and are more forgiving than the earlier ones. Mods also have out of range resistance checking, reversed battery shutdown, and short protection, so vaping is a much safer hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread