Need a fix for a button

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Got a new to me black wrinkle LP Grand the other day that has a black Derwin button cover. The hole in the button is a little deep and I'm having a hard time getting it to work with flat 18650's that work fine in my other REO's. Anybody got a good fix? For now I'm just stuffing something in the button cover, but I'm getting tired of having to mess with it when I take it apart to clean it.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think dental floss laid across the top of the button before you pop the button cover on might make it tight enough to stay put. But then, you'd have to replace it each time you took the button cover off, so might as well just leave it the way you have it with something stuffed in it. You might try doing some type of permanent "stuffing" by, say, putting a glob of white glue in there then letting it dry before you re-install it.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
I've put an o-ring in the button cover before I install it
Gives you a little extra throw(the thickness of the o-ring)
Sounds like you need about 1/16" thick
1/8 ID X 1/4 OD X 1/16 CS fits perfectly
And it will stay in the button cap when its off the REO

Last edited:

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
I think dental floss laid across the top of the button before you pop the button cover on might make it tight enough to stay put

One thickness of dental floss will keep the button cover on good
Place the button in the locked position
Cut a small piece of floss about the width of the button then position it so that only one thickness of floss overlaps the button in one place, then push the button cover on

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
If you have a hole punch for paper, you could possibly use a couple of those tiny discs they produce to take up some of the space inside the button hole to give you more throw, or even stuff a small ball of thread or lint into the button hole before re-installing the button. Good Luck with the fix!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
If I had of known they were flat I wouldn't have ordered them. There is something different though with this button cover because these batteries work in both my other REOs with metal button covers. It's definitely the button cover that is the issue.

On 13 of my metal Reos, 5 have black delrin, 1 has a white delrin, 2 have brass and 5 have aluminum Reo button covers. None of them are an issue at all when firing. But then I also only run button top batts in my metal Reos.

I also have a bag with a few new spare buttons, so took some measurements for you. The recess in all the buttons is the same, metal or delrin, .100". With that info if you have a vernier caliper or depth gauge you can check that black delrin button to see if it is factory spec. Or compare it to another with a toothpick, etc as a depth gauge. If it is the right depth the button is not at fault.

Might you have a partially collapsed spring in that Reo? Using flat top batteries if the spring is not holding the batt up high enough for the positive contact to get a good connection might be why in only that Reo. Another possible flat top batt thing, check for a cracked positive contact from mashing the button.

Ed... my experience with button installation is the brass are the tightest so take more force to install, the delrin and aluminum press and lock on very easily.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Got a new to me black wrinkle LP Grand the other day that has a black Derwin button cover. The hole in the button is a little deep and I'm having a hard time getting it to work with flat 18650's that work fine in my other REO's. Anybody got a good fix? For now I'm just stuffing something in the button cover, but I'm getting tired of having to mess with it when I take it apart to clean it.

My trick.
I trim about 1mm from the silicon feeder tube and pop that little ring in the button cover before I put it on.

cheers
I

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Ah ha. The 2 Al buttons are .1 (.0940) and the back button is .1820. So it's about twice as deep. Anyone know something that sticks to Derlin?

Just cut some cardboard the size needed and test it.. if it's good crazy glue the crap in the button cap.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
If I had of known they were flat I wouldn't have ordered them. There is something different though with this button cover because these batteries work in both my other REOs with metal button covers. It's definitely the button cover that is the issue.
You are absolutely correct about the problem being the button cover. The depth of the black delrin button covers are noticeably deeper than the metal and brass button covers. My fix was balling up some thread and stuffing it into the holes and also using that same thread to drape over the sides of the button to help keep the cover on and tight. I had to do that just so I could make contact using even button top batteries. If I throw a flat top battery in the mod won't fire at all. When I clean my mods I always leave the covers on the buttons and use a toothbrush to scrub everything down. I like the idea of placing a small o ring inside the cover to take up the dead space and give me more button throw, i think that's a great idea and glad some one said that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
You are absolutely correct about the problem being the button cover. The depth of the black delrin button covers are noticeably deeper than the metal and brass button covers. My fix was balling up some thread and stuffing it into the holes and also using that same thread to drape over the sides of the button to help keep the cover on and tight. I had to do that just so I could make contact using even button top batteries. If I throw a flat top battery in the mod won't fire at all. When I clean my mods I always leave the covers on the buttons and use a toothbrush to scrub everything down. I like the idea of placing a small o ring inside the cover to take up the dead space and give me more button throw, i think that's a great idea and glad some one said that.

I have an aluminium button cover coming with my next Reo; those are drilled close to perfection compared to the delrin? I don't mind tossing the dental floss on too much really but it would be nice to fire and forget, as it were.

Reactions: JetMac

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
I have an aluminium button cover coming with my next Reo; those are drilled close to perfection compared to the delrin? I don't mind tossing the dental floss on too much really but it would be nice to fire and forget, as it were.
You shouldn't have anything to worry about with the aluminum covers. I have two and have never need anything to keep them attached. Just press them on and push them down until they stop. Make sure the button is locked before attempting to install the cover (critical) otherwise your contact will pay for it. Some covers are tighter than others, no two are ever the same obviously, so if it feels loose to you and can pull it back off easily then yes I'd try the floss or thread trick to firmly attach it. Both of mine were PITA to install, super tight, but once I got them on and seated I couldn't pull them off by hand. When ever I need to remove the cover I have to use my tweezers to kinda softly pry it off the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread