Need a new mod and have been out of the loop for over a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I've been using a couple Vamo's (V3 and V5) with X10 tanks (from fasttech) and they are finally going bad. I'd like a new box mod, but see that everything is now in watts instead of volts that I'm used to. I rebuild my own coils and they read about 2.6 - 2.8 ohms. I usually vape at 3.3 to 3.5 volts. It looks like some are for very low resistance and some would fire too hot for me? I also want something I can use my green (Panasonic?) NCR18650B batteries since I have some that are still new.

I was finally deciding on the Kamry 30W V2 VW VV Variable Wattage / Voltage APV Box Mod from Fasttech at $32.37 but saw a review that said button top batteries won't fit.

I like easy access to the battery, don't want anything with screws. I think a spring loaded pin would be good. My tank read Low Voltage on a friend's Clouper mini, possibly wasn't making contact.

I don't fuss much with my equipment and just want to grab it and go. Can anyone make a recommendation?

I see the forum has changed since the last time I visited. It's been a long time!

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
Thanks, but I don't want a built in battery. I looked at the Sigilei Mini, good price at MyVaporStore ($29.95), but continuing to fire is concerning. I can't find many reviews on the Kamry 30W. The few on fasttech are all good. Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Kamry since I needed a few other things from fasttech. I'll post a review after I have had it a while. Thanks.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Most important for you is a mod that has step down so it can fire under 4.2V with a fresh battery. The Sigelei Mini would be a good one. I've had one for several months with no issues. However, the battery is a tight fit and I don't know if you will get a button top in there.

The 30W istick can also step down and is inexpensive. It has built in batteries.

The sx mini can step down and take a button top, but its pricey.

Reactions: JaneinMesa

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
Kanger SUBOX Mini Black Starter kit – KangerTech
If you look around you can probably find this mod being sold by itself.

There is also a kanger Kbox. Ipv mini v2 is a single 18650 mod that goes up to 70 watts. Their about $60.

Somewhere on this website there is a thread called "itty bitty mods under $100" it's by katdarling and she usually stays pretty up to date on it. You should check it out.

Reactions: meloyo

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been using a couple Vamo's (V3 and V5) with X10 tanks (from Fasttech) and they are finally going bad. I'd like a new box mod, but see that everything is now in watts instead of volts that I'm used to. I rebuild my own coils and they read about 2.6 - 2.8 ohms. I usually vape at 3.3 to 3.5 volts. It looks like some are for very low resistance and some would fire too hot for me? I also want something I can use my green (Panasonic?) NCR18650B batteries since I have some that are still new.

I was finally deciding on the Kamry 30W V2 VW VV Variable Wattage / Voltage APV Box Mod from Fasttech at $32.37 but saw a review that said button top batteries won't fit.

I like easy access to the battery, don't want anything with screws. I think a spring loaded pin would be good. My tank read Low Voltage on a friend's Clouper mini, possibly wasn't making contact.

I don't fuss much with my equipment and just want to grab it and go. Can anyone make a recommendation?

I see the forum has changed since the last time I visited. It's been a long time!

2+ ohms and 3 to 3.5 volts.

You sound like you would like my setup:
I am using a 3d rda on a nemesis with a kick.

Before that I used to use mostly astro telescopic mods (with kicks), but the fire button turns out to be easier on the nemesis compared to the astro, plus the main reason I use the nemesis is because it screw on directly to the 3d with 20mm threads instead of using the little 9mm 510 thread.

As for the astro, it is telescopic, so no fiddling trying to adjust to exact size, and the centerpin is floating, so no screws to adjust for centerpin; meanwhile I also got a tenpack of chiyou topcaps because the fit the astro, and I use those to screw on permanently onto other tanks/toppers and not wear down 510 thread connectors.

by the way, the NCR type batteries are not the safer chemistry batteries.
For vaping, IMR batteries are recommended.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I got the Kamry V2 today. I was so excited BUT the description by Fasttech was wrong. It does not go down to 1.4 v, it only goes down to 4.1 volts. I am using it on the K2 tank (like a protank) I ordered and running it at the lowest setting of 7 watts and it's ok. Can anyone give me advice on when I build my coils how I can keep them from burning too hot. I should be able to throw in a couple extra wraps to increase the ohms? I really struggle with the whole ohm's law thing and now that they have switched everything from volts to watts I am really confused. I also ordered 30 gauge wire to try instead of 28 gauge, but since it is thinner won't it lower the ohms, therefore make it burn hotter?

FYI, the Kamry V2 seems decent but I've only had it 15 minutes.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
Most important for you is a mod that has step down so it can fire under 4.2V with a fresh battery. The Sigelei Mini would be a good one. I've had one for several months with no issues. However, the battery is a tight fit and I don't know if you will get a button top in there.

The 30W istick can also step down and is inexpensive. It has built in batteries.

The sx mini can step down and take a button top, but its pricey.

I didn't quite understand your post ("step down") and had already placed my order, but you are right. You are the only one to mention that! My Kamry doesn't fire low enough. I need these to go down to 3 watts. The description said it went down to 1.4 volts, but it doesn't with my higher ohm coils. The others recommended won't work either. Now I'm stuck have to find the right build for my coils, but will also have to worry about the amps my batteries are capable of. I might just buy another Vamo V3 - the best device I've used so far. I'm so bummed at not just the money, but the time involved in research and I had everything working so well.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
30g has more resistance than 28g so you will have higher ohms.

Step down means the mod can power down lower than the charge of the battery. A fresh battery is 4.2V. Some mods are not capable of firing that at less than 4.2v. Step down is also referred to as "buck".

I'm pretty sure the isticks can go as low as 2V.

To convert volts to watts:

volts squared ÷ R (resistance of the coil).

To convert watts to volts:

√(watts × R)

I'm pretty sure Steam Engine can do the math for you:

Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
Yeah, I just spent hours looking into it. Thanks for the watts to volts calculation and that calculator. I was thinking of building lower ohm coils but I'm using a tank similar to protanks. I can try as kanthal is cheap. I have no intention of going much below 1 ohm and worrying about my batteries (http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/battery-information/) . I have Panasonic CGR18650CH and NCR18650B batteries which I think are ok to 10 and 6.8 amps, respectively. According to the calculator, and staying well under 6.8 amps, I want to have a coil over .5 ohms.

Any advice on what gauge kanthal I can try for my protank heads to get the resistance down to around 1 ohm? 30 gauge is too thin. 28 or 26?

I don't want to switch tanks because I have yet to see anything that has the capacity, I can rebuild, not glass, and has a changeable heads like my X10's or K2 (like protanks).

When my equipment is gone, I'm going back to built in batteries or am going to have to quit vaping because it's getting way too complicated for me to keep up.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I've never rebuilt Protank coils, but I thought most people used 30 or 32g. You could try 28. I have a feeling 26 will be too big and have too low a resistance for the airflow.

There are some new tanks that might suit you, although they have glass. I guess the new Subtanks have coils above 1 ohm, and have that RBA deck. The Aspire Triton looks nice, too. What about a rebuildable? There are some inexpensive ones that work well for above 1 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread