Need advice for SS or Kanthal and the size, coil building for Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Binh

May 25, 2016
Hanoi city, Vietnam
Hi there, I'm Dylan, fresh new and still go around ask many and dumb noob questions, lol.
So now, here, I need your advice to buy for myself some coil.

My vape shop here have Kanthal A1 and SS 316L (seem that I dont like Ni or Ti, they seem to be too professional for me now).

So which one you guys prefer Kanthal or SS for beginner like me looking for Flavor, and regular coil building (or little advance is ok, like Zipper build,...)

My set up is Rx200 + Griffin tank. Both authentic.

I already tried Kanthal 26ga make Zipper dual coil build with 4 wraps (its 6 if include the wrap stick inside the atty). But its happened as I get 0,1ohm only (minimize that Rx200 can handle, and I believe that its maybe lower but the screen just not set up to show it on), very hard to fire these coils up, battery drain like hell, device so hot,...
So I'm kind of afraid at Kanthal. I think my coil building have some mistake or it because of Kanthal not suitable to build like this. How about SS.

And for Kanthal and SS which size should I chose from 22 to 30ga.

Thank you very much

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Hi there, I'm Dylan, fresh new and still go around ask many and dumb noob questions, lol.
So now, here, I need your advice to buy for myself some coil.

My vape shop here have Kanthal A1 and SS 316L (seem that I dont like Ni or Ti, they seem to be too professional for me now).

So which one you guys prefer Kanthal or SS for beginner like me looking for Flavor, and regular coil building (or little advance is ok, like Zipper build,...)

My set up is Rx200 + Griffin tank. Both authentic.

I already tried Kanthal 26ga make Zipper dual coil build with 4 wraps (its 6 if include the wrap stick inside the atty). But its happened as I get 0,1ohm only (minimize that Rx200 can handle, and I believe that its maybe lower but the screen just not set up to show it on), very hard to fire these coils up, battery drain like hell, device so hot,...
So I'm kind of afraid at Kanthal. I think my coil building have some mistake or it because of Kanthal not suitable to build like this. How about SS.

And for Kanthal and SS which size should I chose from 22 to 30ga.

Thank you very much
Dylan, a good guage for starters is 28g. If you prefer a little lower ohm with more wraps you can go to 26g.

26g is great all around wire. Kanthal is a little easier to work with than SS.

SS is very soft as well as being very low resistance so it requires many more wraps to achieve the same resistance as Kanthal.

I vape SS in power mode with contact coils. The flavor blows away Kanthal, for me. You can glow and dry burn the SS as well so it's easier to clean and rewick.

Try them both and see what you like.

Use a coil calculator to target the ohms you want to achieve.

Here is an SS 317L build I just did, 15/14 wraps, 3mm inner diameter in dual mode which ohm'd out to .5.

I can put as many watts on it as I want and the flavor is incredible.

My favorite Kanthal build is a 7/6 wrap. 3mm or 2.5mm ID. In dual coil mode a 7/6 wrap of Kanthal is .5 ohms...the same resistance as a 15/14 dual of SS wire.

555c490b531d47b9210a50b384fa59d6.jpg

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
Kanthal has higher resistance than NiCr or SS , so less wraps for the same resistance.
Less wraps = less surface area = less vapor = less taste

Depending on the mod, always find the best size/type of wire with the largest surface area with the determined resistance that will benefit better battery usage.

Reactions: Dylan Binh

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
The nice thing about SS or Nichrome is that they will heat faster than Kanthal, so if you are doing Claptons or other mult-wire coils, they will ramp up faster. But yeah, for standard coils or parallels, It may take more wraps than you want to hit your targeted resistance. And all that stuff previously mentioned.

Dylan Binh

May 25, 2016
Hanoi city, Vietnam
The nice thing about SS or Nichrome is that they will heat faster than Kanthal, so if you are doing Claptons or other mult-wire coils, they will ramp up faster. But yeah, for standard coils or parallels, It may take more wraps than you want to hit your targeted resistance. And all that stuff previously mentioned.

Ya right, now I understand why I used Kanthal 26ga with Zipper coil building and my coil can not get heat up quick. It need to fire around 3-4s before the liquid can be burned for me to puff, and the device got too hot and batterry die more quick. The box need to work hard but the result is slow and low.

I will try SS with Zipper coil building. Any suggest about the size of SS. 20 to 26 which one should I pick from this range.

Dylan Binh

May 25, 2016
Hanoi city, Vietnam
Kanthal has higher resistance than NiCr or SS , so less wraps for the same resistance.
Less wraps = less surface area = less vapor = less taste

Depending on the mod, always find the best size/type of wire with the largest surface area with the determined resistance that will benefit better battery usage.

Thank you bro, so as my tank is Griffin, can I use SS to wrap coils, which size of SS is the best fit?
Does the tank have enough space to build around 0,2-0.75ohm? (as my target is from 0,3-0,5 is the best)?
Which ohm should I target to maximize flavour, then keep box heat low, then battery life longer?
Which coil building is the best for using (beautiful look will be good too, for me)?

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Thank you bro, so as my tank is Griffin, can I use SS to wrap coils, which size of SS is the best fit?
Does the tank have enough space to build around 0,2-0.75ohm? (as my target is from 0,3-0,5 is the best)?
Which ohm should I target to maximize flavour, then keep box heat low, then battery life longer?
Which coil building is the best for using (beautiful look will be good too, for me)?
Use trial and error. Wrap different coils. Use your eyeballs. See if they fit. Let us know what you come up with.

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada

Kanthal is a license branding of Sandvik and they have began to crackdown on unauthorized distributors this year.
NiCr and SS is much much more cheaper than Kanthal as they are not licensed products, already seeing Kanthal prices going up.

I find 26awg Nichrome 80 works best at 0.5-0.7ohms with the best performance and battery usage life. Taking it below 0.5ohms will not provide any additional benefits other than increasing the level of danger and drainage of the battery.

Dylan Binh

May 25, 2016
Hanoi city, Vietnam
Where can we buy 316LSS wire in bulk without having to go through some buddy system or emails?
In case, you can find them in ebay, read the customer's feedback on trusted seller.
Only cons is its always 1 month shipping. But you can try to buy 1 or 2 then continue looking around.
ss 316L | eBay

Dylan Binh

May 25, 2016
Hanoi city, Vietnam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread