Need advice on what e-cig starter kit to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
Firstly, I've been vaping on and off for over 3 years (smoked inbetween) now so I know the basics and as much as I enjoy it, I've never found a starter kit that I've been able to stick with.

I don't want to make the same mistake and want one that will last me for at least over a year and I've mainly only bought from one site (Liberro) and I realize that it's not the cheapest for e-liquid and I thought it would be silly if I want to really get serious about this and to continue spending what I was, even if the quality was good. If I could knock off a few pounds/dollars then it's totally worth it in the long run.

An example of the prices I'm used to paying for 30ml of e-liquid is £12/$18. So I don't know if that's a lot for just 30ml?

I want a fresh start and would like to know what sites offer the best and cheapest e-liquids that will work with any e-cig starter kit I go onto buy and if those sites that sell the e-liquid also sell a good starter kit then that's even better.

So I live in the UK and want to budget myself to a £100 which will pay for the starter kit and enough e-liquid to last me a few weeks. I don't care about appearance of the e-cig and don't want to bother with e-cigars/e-pipes, just as long as it gives an above average throat hit and produces a decent amount of vapor but throat hit is more important. I will only be vaping inside, if that makes any difference.

Basically I just want a good overall sturdy e-cig that isn't too small or too big and provides a great throat kick and decent vapor that can be used with cheap vapor off the site its sold or other sites and has a solid lifespan, 12-24 months is good. Also it needs to have a med range battery life as I like to vape for long periods of time, not constantly but it would be good to know it can last if I decide I do want to do an hour or longer of constant vaping instead of just having a 5 minute vape.

Sorry for the long post, can anybody help me out please? BIG THANKS.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Hard not to recommend the Kanger Subtank Mini (can purchase their replacement coils for it, or build your own on the rta deck, so you've got options there), along with a compact vv\vw mod like an IPV Mini v2 or an iStick.
I prefer a mod with replacable battery and so lean heavily towards the IPV Mini v2.
iSticks have an internal battery and so only recharge the mod as you would your cell phone. (Can do that on the IPV Mini v2 too, but also has a removable/replacable 18650 battery, so more options with the IPV Mini v2 as well)

All of this only if you are interested in a PV with far greater capabilities than the typical ego type battery/ProTank style starter setup.

Last edited:

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
JDHW, this is the best time in years to have many different choices in mods that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Here is a thread that you might want to check out:

Little Itty Bitty Mods Under $100

I have an iStick 30W and two MVP 20W mods, all of which cost under $30 if you shop around, and which would make a great mod for a beginner or a veteran, depending on what topper you want to put on it.

The tank you should consider has a lot to do with how you like to vape. Are you a lung hitter or do you prefer mouth-to-lung? Some of the tanks you'll hear a lot about in here, such as the Kanger subtank, are really for lung hitters, not mtl hitters. So keep that in mind when you compare tanks.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Oh, man. I really hope you are coming back. :)

£100 is a lot these days, you can go a long way with even £50-£60 no trouble.

£12 for 30ml is almost at the very top of the price bracket. Go up higher and you are into 'niche' liquid vendors (Mrs Lords, Colonel Boom) and/or the posher higher volume liquids (T-Juice, Halo, eVo, Cosmic Fog etc.)

If you are paying £12 for Liberro, prepare to be liberated. :)

I have liquids from 85p/10ml right up to £5.95 for 10ml. There are too many companies charging £4.95 for bog standard stuff and in reality most of the big names are selling their customers 40p liquid for £4.95.
My favourite cheap liquids are Hangsen, bought for less the 85p per 10ml, but purchased in big-ish bottles. I paid £4 for 50ml (from China) and I know shops that sell this in their own bottles for £4.95 - so that's £25 for something you can buy for £4.

Aerovape and Cornish e-liquids are cheap and decent quality. Dripdrop are cheap, but I have to admit to not using them (long story). There is even a £1 liquid vendor, but I only like the tobacco flavours. The choices are endless.

As for kit (hardware) - I would have a look around on here and see what takes your fancy.

Myepack.co.uk

I don't know what kind of e-cigs you are used to, but box mods are all the rage at the moment. So are high performance tanks.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Oh... Google is not your friend, either, just in case you aren't aware of how things work these days.

However, maybe you can find PBusardo on youtube and check out "Kanger subox mini" published today (I think).... he reviews the latest Kanger kit which covers a few bases in one purchase.

I'm 36 minutes in and got bored... zzzzz .... but it's an interesting product.

It's on sale for £44.99 some places. I'm sure Ukecigstore will happily ask you for £55, and I know another store which is planning to charge £65. These aren't walk in shops, these are online places happy to max out their profit. It's a very silly business.

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
Oh, man. I really hope you are coming back. :)

£100 is a lot these days, you can go a long way with even £50-£60 no trouble.

£12 for 30ml is almost at the very top of the price bracket. Go up higher and you are into 'niche' liquid vendors (Mrs Lords, Colonel Boom) and/or the posher higher volume liquids (T-Juice, Halo, eVo, Cosmic Fog etc.)

If you are paying £12 for Liberro, prepare to be liberated. :)

I have liquids from 85p/10ml right up to £5.95 for 10ml. There are too many companies charging £4.95 for bog standard stuff and in reality most of the big names are selling their customers 40p liquid for £4.95.
My favourite cheap liquids are Hangsen, bought for less the 85p per 10ml, but purchased in big-ish bottles. I paid £4 for 50ml (from China) and I know shops that sell this in their own bottles for £4.95 - so that's £25 for something you can buy for £4.

Aerovape and Cornish e-liquids are cheap and decent quality. Dripdrop are cheap, but I have to admit to not using them (long story). There is even a £1 liquid vendor, but I only like the tobacco flavours. The choices are endless.

As for kit (hardware) - I would have a look around on here and see what takes your fancy.

Myepack.co.uk

I don't know what kind of e-cigs you are used to, but box mods are all the rage at the moment. So are high performance tanks.

Hi dj, thanks to you and everyone else whose replied. I checked on myepack.co.uk and I think I might go for the Emow mega kit. I guess 1600 Mah is one of the best batteries to get so that's good but one thing that does concern me is it comes with just 1 clearomizer, don't they only last so many e-liquid refills? From memory I was told that a cartomizer etc are recommended to be used about 5 refills then you throw it away, does this apply to clearomizers and because you're only given 1, am I best stocking up on a few more from the site?

Another thing is it comes with 5 upgraded duel coil heads, why do you need 5 and I presume that's another thing you need to keep buying because they need replacing after so many days or weeks of vaping?

Thanks a ton.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome JDHW!

I knew djsvapour would locate you. He's got good insight with regards to UK suppliers. I'm on the other side of the Pond :D

1600 maH is actually somewhat weak for battery life, compared to what's out there these days. However, it all depends on how frequently you're vaping. So, I should clarify that a 1600maH battery wouldn't last *ME* a work day. My lowest-maH batteries are 2100 maH these days (and that's in the iStick 30 - which is a grand little mod, IMO.)

Regarding clearomizers, you ought to consider at least a couple. You might fill one with juice and in mid-vaping, you might want to try another flavor. Rather than dumping off what's left in your one tank, you can simply load another and keep rolling. Backups for backups for backups :)

The tank that comes with the Emow holds just shy of 3mL. Again, depending on how often you're vaping, that could last you a couple of days or merely a couple of hours. The coils will get dirty/gunky, and as the performance decreases, you'll want to consider changing the coil. Hence, the 5-pack. Some people may only get one day from a coil, others could get a week's use from a coil.... Everyone is different.

I believe the Emow is 510-threaded. That means a variety of tanks will work atop the Emow. You are NOT locked into only using the tank that comes with the kit.

Sorry for prattling - hopefully something was useful.

Cheers!

Reactions: JDHW

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
Welcome JDHW!

I knew djsvapour would locate you. He's got good insight with regards to UK suppliers. I'm on the other side of the Pond :D

1600 maH is actually somewhat weak for battery life, compared to what's out there these days. However, it all depends on how frequently you're vaping. So, I should clarify that a 1600maH battery wouldn't last *ME* a work day. My lowest-maH batteries are 2100 maH these days (and that's in the iStick 30 - which is a grand little mod, IMO.)

Regarding clearomizers, you ought to consider at least a couple. You might fill one with juice and in mid-vaping, you might want to try another flavor. Rather than dumping off what's left in your one tank, you can simply load another and keep rolling. Backups for backups for backups :)

The tank that comes with the Emow holds just shy of 3mL. Again, depending on how often you're vaping, that could last you a couple of days or merely a couple of hours. The coils will get dirty/gunky, and as the performance decreases, you'll want to consider changing the coil. Hence, the 5-pack. Some people may only get one day from a coil, others could get a week's use from a coil.... Everyone is different.

I believe the Emow is 510-threaded. That means a variety of tanks will work atop the Emow. You are NOT locked into only using the tank that comes with the kit.

Sorry for prattling - hopefully something was useful.

Cheers!

Very useful! Thanks Dinger. Although your cautions were taken on board I think I'm still going to get it at least just as a beginner kit, it would be good to use it as an experiment but then I might be better getting a cheaper one but that one is only 800 mah so the extra 10 dollars is worth it I think. Hope this thing works out well

Reactions: DingerCPA

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
@JDHW, and if you find something else down the road, it will be a fine backup :)

Cheers!

Annoyingly though they don't sell the clearomizers separately on this site... which is strange so I'm putting off buying it just yet until I find out why. £4.50 for 20ml is a lot cheaper than £12 for 30ml that I was paying so that's a bonus. If they don't see the cleromizers then they probably don't sell the coils either, maybe I'm searching wrong but I'll try and find out.

Reactions: DingerCPA

Geek_Verve

Jun 3, 2015
Fishers, IN
Don't buy a starter kit, something like a istick 30 and nautilus or nautilus mini or kanger subtank would be the better initial investment

I agree. I started with an eGo-C kit, and, while it did ok, it took me a while to commit completely to it and give up the smokes for good. If I knew now what I knew then, I would have definitely gone with something a bit more capable. I've used the Nautilus for about 6-months or longer, and it's great for vaping on less powerful mods. I just picked up a Kanger Subtank Mini, and it hits significantly better, but my iTaste MVP 2.0 wouldn't fire it with the .6-ohm coil (haven't tried with the 1.2-ohm). Luckily, I just got a new Sigelei 150 in the mail today (fantastic deal, if you're ok with the size), and it handles the Subtank easily.

Good luck finding a rig that works for you. Luckily the selection has never been better.

Reactions: JDHW

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Annoyingly though they don't sell the clearomizers separately on this site... which is strange so I'm putting off buying it just yet until I find out why. £4.50 for 20ml is a lot cheaper than £12 for 30ml that I was paying so that's a bonus. If they don't see the cleromizers then they probably don't sell the coils either, maybe I'm searching wrong but I'll try and find out.

If you are talking basically a starter kit, it doesn't particularly matter if you can get more of the same clearomisers, there are other choices.
Most of the ones you will be looking at have replaceable atomizer heads. You definitely want to buy a few spares but I have to admit to buying 5-packs once I have decided if I like them or not.
I would NOT recommend the liquids from Myepack. They are Dekang (as you say £4.49 for 20ml) but, well, Dekang is not to many people's taste. I quite like the tobaccos (you might even find the odd review from me) but even those are unique in taste. Again, you could try a bottle or two (£2.49), but if you are looking for fruity or sweet vapes, then there are better choices.
LT e-cigs do 30ml for £5.40 in many fruit flavours. Aerovape do 30ml for £6.

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks everyone, I'm going to check out the istick30 then, if it's going to be better in the long run. The thing that puts me off it is learning all these different devices that need buying separately and knowing where to buy the each piece and all the rest of it. I guess that's why Liberro took so much of my money was because they've got a pretty simple lay out and it's all buying from one place but because of their prices is one of the reasons I quit e-cigs to begin with so I won't be going back there.

JDHW

Moved On
Jun 3, 2015
Sorry for all the questions but I have one about the istick, there's 30w and 50w with not much price difference between them so I guess I should go for the 50w? Also they seem to just come with the bottom half of an e-cig (tank?) so I'll need to find the rest of the stuff to go with that. What goes well with isticks and where can I purchase everything for them online?

I've heard of beauty ring, clearomizers, cartomizers, I presume carts are not really in demand anymore since clearomizers so I'll stick with clears. Hmm my recent disposable e-cigar from liberro is out so I'm currently going cold turkey at the moment so every day that passes makes me want to finish this shopping quickly but don't want to make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread