Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakar

Apr 6, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I have been vaping the same mix for the last 5 years: 14mg nic, 50/50 pg/vg, 1.5% 7-Leaves, 1.5% Maxx B, 1% RY4 and 1% menthol. I had been using a 5v homemade box mod with 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers and this blend worked really well for me. I got tired of rebuilding the mod, and my preferred cartomizers are getting harder to find so I moved up to a Cool Fire IV at 30w with a Innokin Apex iSub tank at .5 ohms.

First thing I noticed with this new setup is the menthol was just overpowering and unpleasant. I dropped the menthol from the mix, but the flavors now seem to "dry" and almost dusty; they lack any richness. The hit also seems a bit harsh.

I'm looking for suggestions on adjusting this recipe. Do I need to drop the nic level for the harshness or would adjusting the pg/vg balance help? How about the dryness of the flavors? Would upping the RY4 round out the flavor some? Is there something else that can add some richness?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Reactions: Snafuninja

SailCat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2009
Beaverton, OR
www.SailCat.com
It would help in suggesting possible solutions if you would share the brands of flavorings. To suggest any possible solution without that information would be speculation at best, so here goes. :)

Set aside a small sample of your juice to tiker on so you don't wreck 120 ml.

EM will add moisture to e-liquids. While it's not actually a sweetener, it will add a degree of sweetness to e-liquids which are drier (less sweet) than Ethyl Maltol itself. If that effect isn't objectionable, that course of action would be worth a try. You may also find Koolada a more pleasant alternative to menthol for your new application.

I really enjoyed your recounting of your five year, one mod, one juice experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBob

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I had been using a 5v homemade box mod with 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers and this blend worked really well for me. I got tired of rebuilding the mod, and my preferred cartomizers are getting harder to find so I moved up to a Cool Fire IV at 30w with a Innokin Apex iSub tank at .5 ohms.
Might like to read:
What Is Atomizer OHM Resistance?

"APVs with 5.0 volt settings
Recommended: single coil with 2.5 - 3.2 ohm resistance or dual coil with 2.0 ohm resistance"
VS
"Innokin Apex iSub tank at .5 ohms"

Alakar

Apr 6, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
If you are still wanting that menthol and there you can try just adding 1 or 2 drops of menthol, a little goes a long way. I would also trying dropping you nic level because .5 ohms 14 nic is a little high, and try like a 60/40 or 70/30 VG/PG.

I was thinking the same thing as far as the nic levels after reading that you tend to get more from a tank hit than a carto. I'll also try playing around with the pg/vg mix. Thanks

Reactions: Snafuninja

Alakar

Apr 6, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
It would help in suggesting possible solutions if you would share the brands of flavorings. To suggest any possible solution without that information would be speculation at best, so here goes. :)

Set aside a small sample of your juice to tiker on so you don't wreck 120 ml.

EM will add moisture to e-liquids. While it's not actually a sweetener, it will add a degree of sweetness to e-liquids which are drier (less sweet) than Ethyl Maltol itself. If that effect isn't objectionable, that course of action would be worth a try. You may also find Koolada a more pleasant alternative to menthol for your new application.

I really enjoyed your recounting of your five year, one mod, one juice experience.

Sorry, forgot to post that all flavorings are Flavor Art except the menthol, which is crystals in a pg base. I'll give the EM and Koolada a try. They may be just the thing. Thanks.

Alakar

Apr 6, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Might like to read:
What Is Atomizer OHM Resistance?

"APVs with 5.0 volt settings
Recommended: single coil with 2.5 - 3.2 ohm resistance or dual coil with 2.0 ohm resistance"
VS
"Innokin Apex iSub tank at .5 ohms"

I tried the higher ohm carts with the box mod, but preferred the 1.5 ohm dual coils as they gave a hotter, almost liquidy hit.

I've played with the wattage on my new setup a bit now, and backing down to 20W seems to have smoothed out some of the harshness, but the flavors are less distinct. I have alot of experimentation to do.

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread