need help choosing battery for Ailien 220W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
Hello,

I need some info on the best battery for my alien with the 0.15coil of the TFV8 tank from smok

which battery will be best (price aside) i want to have as high capacity as possible but i don't want them to explode in my face since they need to handle it output =/

was thinking of LG HB6 and sony VTC5A not sure of the vtc6 some say it goes to 30A and some say 20A and that it is temp controlled at 80C not sure how often u would reach 80c tho =/

Last edited:
Reactions: nocigsnomore

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Here's a table of batteries tested and recommend by Mooch, our resident battery expert. Notice that he has listed the manufacturer's specs followed by his own test results. Go by Mooch's numbers for amperage and MAH. Click it to see the full sized easy to read version.

If you need the wattage to vape at anywhere near 200W, choose the highest amp batteries. Keep in mind that higher MAH provides longer vape time on a charge, but you need the amp capacity to be safe at high watts. There's a trade off with most batteries between amp ratings and MAH vape time.

image-jpeg.600623

Last edited:

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
Here's a table of batteries tested and recommend by Mooch, our resident battery expert. Notice that he has listed the manufacturer's specs followed by his own test results. Go by Mooch's numbers for amperage and MAH. Click it to see the full sized easy to read version.
If you need the wattage to vape at anywhere near 200W, choose the highest amp batteries. Keep in mind that higher MAH provides longer vape time on a charge, but you need the amp capacity to be safe at high watts. There's a trade off with most batteries between amp ratings and MAH vape time.

hm yes i watched that one, but it doesn't say which one is the best since there is LG's HB2/4/6 with same spec there =/ and the vtc5a is only 5a lower but with high mah

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
hm yes i watched that one, but it doesn't say which one is the best since there is LG's HB2/4/6 with same spec there =/ and the vtc5a is only 5a lower but with high mah

What's your average wattage level? You may not need something to cover the entire 220W range of the mod you mentioned. The link below actually calculates the amperage you will pull at various resistances and wattages. I didn't see Alien listed, though.

Others will be around to address the mod you have and the coil you are vaping. I'm a low wattage vaper. The Samsung 30Q and the Sony VCT5A are big winners among high watt vapers.

Mod range

Last edited:

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
What's your average wattage level? You may not need something to cover the entire 220W range of the mod you mentioned. The link below actually calculates the amperage you will pull at various resistances and wattages. I didn't see Alien listed, though.

Others will be around to address the mod you have and the coil you are vaping. I'm a low wattage vaper. The Samsung 30Q and the Sony VCT5A are big winners among high watt vapers.

Mod range

when i use this VapeCalc and add my coil (0.15) and then around what wattage i'll be going on 150W~ it ends up on 31A do i have to count out every battery that doesn't go up to 30A? I Think i'll just buy 6 HB6's :)

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Watts and battery cutoff voltage determine the amp draw on a regulated device (jag kan ta det här på svenska också om det är enklare). Thus:

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (multiply with the number of batteries in a series mod) = amps (divide by the number of batteries in a parallel mod)

The Alien is a series mod (most multiple-battery mods are) with a cutoff around 2.9 volts (3.2v seems to be the most common cutoff voltage). So, at the full 220w the amp draw will be (clarification in parentheses):

242 (220w+10%) / 5.8 (2x 2.9v) = 41.72 amps (per battery)

I don't go over the discharge rating of batteries so I'd never use 220w with any two-battery mod. Going by amp ratings.

20 amps:
115.5 (105w+10%) / 5.8 = 19.91 amps

30 amps:
170.5 (155w+10%) / 5.8 = 29.4 amps

Of course, if you don't let your batteries discharge fully you can go higher in watts and still stay within the cdr of the batteries.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
Watts and battery cutoff voltage determine the amp draw on a regulated device (jag kan ta det här på svenska också om det är enklare). Thus:

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (multiply with the number of batteries in a series mod) = amps (divide by the number of batteries in a parallel mod)

The Alien is a series mod (most multiple-battery mods are) with a cutoff around 2.9 volts (3.2v seems to be the most common cutoff voltage). So, at the full 220w the amp draw will be (clarification in parentheses):

242 (220w+10%) / 5.8 (2x 2.9v) = 41.72 amps (per battery)

I don't go over the discharge rating of batteries so I'd never use 220w with any two-battery mod. Going by amp ratings.

20 amps:
115.5 (105w+10%) / 5.8 = 19.91 amps

30 amps:
170.5 (155w+10%) / 5.8 = 29.4 amps

Of course, if you don't let your batteries discharge fully you can go higher in watts and still stay within the cdr of the batteries.

so at 155w it is discharging both batteries at 29.4amps (170.5 (155w+10%) / 5.8 = 29.4 amps) ? is the battery not in parallel meaning the amperage will be split with more batteries if not what's the benefit from a series mod?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
so at 155w it is discharging both batteries at 29.4amps (170.5 (155w+10%) / 5.8 = 29.4 amps) ? is the battery not in parallel meaning the amperage will be split with more batteries if not what's the benefit from a series mod?
The batteries in the Alien are in series so the calculated amp draw is per battery. However, the amp draw would be the same with a parallel mod. See, in that case you'd have half the cutoff voltage (2.9), so you'd end up with double the amps, which you'd then spkit between the batteries. Example:

170.5 / 2.9 = 58.8 amps. Divided by two, 29.4 amps per battery.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
The batteries in the Alien are in series so the calculated amp draw is per battery. However, the amp draw would be the same with a parallel mod. See, in that case you'd have half the cutoff voltage (2.9), so you'd end up with double the amps, which you'd then split between the batteries. Example:

170.5 / 2.9 = 58.8 amps. Divided by two, 29.4 amps per battery.

i see so it is already splitting the amperage so i did good by buying the LG's HB6 30A CDR or were they overkill?

since i will be vaping around 150 it will end up on around 28.44A (165w(150w+10%/5.8V=28.44A)) in this calculation is 165W the actual wattage drawn and 150 on the wattage on the screen of the mod itself?

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
i see so it is already splitting the amperage so i did good by buying the LG's HB6 30A CDR or were they overkill?

since i will be vaping around 150 it will end up on around 28.44A (165w(150w+10%/5.8V=28.44A)) in this calculation is 165W the actual wattage drawn and 150 on the wattage on the screen of the mod itself?
At 150w 30-amp batteries are definitely a good idea. The inefficiency numbers of mods vary. I commonly use 10% in my calculations as it's difficult to find numbers from the manufacturers. Basically, the mod is drawing amps from the battery to deliver the required volts to the atomizer. Some of the energy is lost in the conversion. That's where the 10% comes in.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you really need to vape at 150W for your build, you can go with 30A batteries in the Alien, but they will have a lower capacity (1,500 mAh). Personally, if I were going to vape at 150W I'd use a 3 battery mod both for a safety buffer and longer run time. And in a 3 battery regulated mod you can use 20 or 25A batteries which will give you additional capacity, 2,500 to even 3,000 mAh.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
At 150w 30-amp batteries are definitely a good idea. The inefficiency numbers of mods vary. I commonly use 10% in my calculations as it's difficult to find numbers from the manufacturers. Basically, the mod is drawing amps from the battery to deliver the required volts to the atomizer. Some of the energy is lost in the conversion. That's where the 10% comes in.
Thanks for all the help it has really given me some usefull info!

If you really need to vape at 150W for your build, you can go with 30A batteries in the Alien, but they will have a lower capacity (1,500 mAh). Personally, if I were going to vape at 150W I'd use a 3 battery mod both for a safety buffer and longer run time. And in a 3 battery regulated mod you can use 20 or 25A batteries which will give you additional capacity, 2,500 to even 3,000 mAh.

yes i know sadly i got this info a bit to late but i will definitely think about it next time i buy a mod! I'll just have to carry extra pack of batteries on me xD i did buy 6 of the HB6 so i have a couple now =D

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
yes i know sadly i got this info a bit to late but i will definitely think about it next time i buy a mod! I'll just have to carry extra pack of batteries on me xD i did buy 6 of the HB6 so i have a couple now =D

Well enjoy it! I have one and it's a favorite mod for me. And with good batteries like the HB6 (you did order them from a reliable source, right? Not off eBay or Amazon?) you'll be fine at higher power (forget the 220W inflated claim though). And keep your 3 sets of two batteries paired/married. I usually just use a black indelible marker and go with A1, A2, B1, B2....to keep them sorted.

Reactions: DaveP

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
Well enjoy it! I have one and it's a favorite mod for me. And with good batteries like the HB6 (you did order them from a reliable source, right? Not off eBay or Amazon?) you'll be fine at higher power (forget the 220W inflated claim though). And keep your 3 sets of two batteries paired/married. I usually just use a black indelible marker and go with A1, A2, B1, B2....to keep them sorted.
Yes i bought them from Illumination so i hope they weren't deceived themself. i will be sure to mark them at least until mooch comes out with his married test hes doing now will be interesting to see what he comes up with from that :)

Reactions: Eskie

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A good 3 battery mod for the money is the Wismec Reuleaux RX200S or it's new sibling, the RX2/3. The latter is designed to use either 3 batteries or 2 batteries (weight and size relief). The 3 battery configuration takes you to 250W by their design documents. The 2 battery configuration tops out at 150W. It comes with two covers for 2 or 3 batteries.

I have the older RX200S and it's a neat mod. With three batteries it's large in the hand, but feels solid and comfortable. I haven't held the newer 2/3 battery version.

It's $49.99 here. There are others who have it for $44.99. The link has good pictorial explanations and a feature listing.
Reuleaux RX2/3 $44.99 by Wismec

Last edited:

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
A good 3 battery mod for the money is the Wismec Reuleaux RX200S or it's new sibling, the RX2/3. The latter is designed to use either 3 batteries or 2 batteries (weight and size relief). The 3 battery configuration takes you to 250W by their design documents. The 2 battery configuration tops out at 150W. It comes with two covers for 2 or 3 batteries.

I have the older RX200S and it's a neat mod. With three batteries it's large in the hand, but feels solid and comfortable. I haven't held the newer 2/3 battery version.

It's $49.99 here. There are others who have it for $44.99. The link has good pictorial explanations and a feature listing.
Reuleaux RX2/3 $44.99 by Wismec
yeah i also saw that they are releasing a new one with 4 batteries its on preorder now! crazy

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's become a running joke how much power they can deliver. Several 4 battery mods coming out, including one from Smok at 400W:facepalm:

You're good with Illum. I order from there and IMR all the time. It's scary how many fakes there are out there of the better batteries. And I'm looking forward to Mooch's report on marrying batteries as well. It would sure simplify our lives, but I'm not dropping my marking pen until he puts up the all clear data. In truth it's not that big a deal to keep them sorted. But knowing you could just grab a set without always checking would be nice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
And here I am completely satisfied with running my 1, 2, and 3 battery mods at 10W. I graduated from eGo into the carto movement through Provari, Smok, iStick, Innokin, and Releaux and still Tootle Puffing!

All I ever wanted was a relatively safe clone of my old Merit ultra light filter cigs. It's nice to be able to make 50ml of juice last almost a month, too.

I am still a fan of great mods with cool features and bells and whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread