Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I found myself moving up in power use after starting out straight tootling with a 24 mg juice and maybe 2 to 3 ml a day. Now my build run towards subohm dual coils with a higher VG 6 mg DIY juice. However, I still rarely exceed 40W (and run in TC anyway) and only vape about 5 ml a day. Actually a it less nic per day than back in my true tootling days. it's all a matter of finding what works best and is most enjoyable for you.

I do still go high ohm, high nic when I'm traveling as it holds me for longer periods and is way easier to stealth vape with little cloud.

The only time I'm really at "high wattage" for me is for something like a dual Clapton build that I'll use a preheat for 1 second at 100W just to get the metal up to temp quickly. Everyone just needs to find their happy place.

Epsilonsama

Dec 26, 2016
I also got the same mod and right now I got a HOHM Life that according to Mooch it's CBR 20A. While using the regulated mod current equation provided on one of the posts here says it's safe to use on 80W 0.15 coil provided by the mod but the mod display a much higher current of around 22A if I remember correctly. Is the mod really using 22A of the battery?

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
I also got the same mod and right now I got a HOHM Life that according to Mooch it's CBR 20A. While using the regulated mod current equation provided on one of the posts here says it's safe to use on 80W 0.15 coil provided by the mod but the mod display a much higher current of around 22A if I remember correctly. Is the mod really using 22A of the battery?

here: http://i.imgur.com/iC6tmra.png

Dec 26, 2016
Watts and battery cutoff voltage determine the amp draw on a regulated device (jag kan ta det här på svenska också om det är enklare). Thus:

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (multiply with the number of batteries in a series mod) = amps (divide by the number of batteries in a parallel mod)

The Alien is a series mod (most multiple-battery mods are) with a cutoff around 2.9 volts (3.2v seems to be the most common cutoff voltage). So, at the full 220w the amp draw will be (clarification in parentheses):

242 (220w+10%) / 5.8 (2x 2.9v) = 41.72 amps (per battery)

I don't go over the discharge rating of batteries so I'd never use 220w with any two-battery mod. Going by amp ratings.

20 amps:
115.5 (105w+10%) / 5.8 = 19.91 amps

30 amps:
170.5 (155w+10%) / 5.8 = 29.4 amps

Of course, if you don't let your batteries discharge fully you can go higher in watts and still stay within the cdr of the batteries.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
KenD, since you seem to know this pretty well, I hope you, or someone else, can clear this out for me...

Shouldn't the voltage sag of the battery be taken into account when making this calculation?

For example with your 220w calculation...
"242 (220w+10%) / 5.8 (2x 2.9v) = 41.72 amps (per battery)"
...if the 2.9v is measured at rest, which i assume it is, and let's just for this example assume the sag at this point take the voltage to 2.0v at run-time (maybe extreme?), then the calculation of the actual draw from the battery would be more like this, if the actual output to the coil should be able to reach 220w...
242 (220w+10%) / 4.0 (2x 2.0v) = 60.5 amps (per battery)
...or maybe the set/stated watt in the mod is calculated internally based on the voltage at rest, so the actual output watt to the coil would not be the 220w, but rather something like 83.44a (2x 41.72a) x 2.0v = 167w?

Or what else is it that I misunderstand? ...I'd really like to get clear on how this actually works!

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario

i just bought the 220 myself and currently only have the browns for it(the only pair of VTC4's i have are in the dripbox 160w).. that table is freakin handy! i don't vape over 75w anyhow... yet... i did get the baby beast and big baby beast tanks too... so i'm on the hunt for batteries again, and they are damned hard to find here. i can get the HB6's... but i think i'd rather get the VTC5a's and just limit my wattage

CaponeGiaccone

Mar 8, 2016
I mean i could be thinking of a Koopor Primus session I had (too much egg nog) but I have the Smok Alien 220 in grey, G-Priv 220 in silver, Primus 300 stainless color, and the Marshall in Gold. (All sans kit tanks) But I'll regardless, I charge new 18650s inside the G-Priv and married VTC5As inside the Marshall G320 since Smok claims its safer than ever with the new balancing chip technology. I was worried about the triple battery mod balancing well but it does. I hate chargers. Anyway I'll let you know if I blow my face up or the charge max voltage decreases. Doesn't seem likely. These mods are great. Over 165W vaping, triple battery mods are best and thetes no thinking about how long you can push 180W out before batts get too low, safety to such a level, its good for people like myself to use triple mods.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

CaponeGiaccone

Mar 8, 2016
i just bought the 220 myself and currently only have the browns for it(the only pair of VTC4's i have are in the dripbox 160w).. that table is freakin handy! i don't vape over 75w anyhow... yet... i did get the baby beast and big baby beast tanks too... so i'm on the hunt for batteries again, and they are damned hard to find here. i can get the HB6's... but i think i'd rather get the VTC5a's and just limit my wattage
VTC5As are the best. If you use a 3 battery mod they are okay for 200W vaping. But It's a new cloud chasing hobby I have. I dont use nicotine since I cant stop smoking anyway sadly. Good luck. LG HB6s and Sony VTC5As FTW

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
I mean i could be thinking of a Koopor Primus session I had (too much egg nog) but I have the Smok Alien 220 in grey, G-Priv 220 in silver, Primus 300 stainless color, and the Marshall in Gold. (All sans kit tanks) But I'll regardless, I charge new 18650s inside the G-Priv and married VTC5As inside the Marshall G320 since Smok claims its safer than ever with the new balancing chip technology. I was worried about the triple battery mod balancing well but it does. I hate chargers. Anyway I'll let you know if I blow my face up or the charge max voltage decreases. Doesn't seem likely. These mods are great. Over 165W vaping, triple battery mods are best and thetes no thinking about how long you can push 180W out before batts get too low, safety to such a level, its good for people like myself to use triple mods.

i didn't have a married set for the 220, i just got it today... it balanced the batteries i do have that were bought at the same time, but used separately... the store i bought it from didn't have anything better than the HE4's which is why i didn't buy new bats for the mod today. i'm rural and getting batteries means i have to get them online and trying to find them in this country can be such a joy! NOT... i might just see if i can get them shipped here from the states, but i'm going to do the painful search here first for the VTC5as.

i'm not big on high wattage anyhow... i can kill batteries fast enough at 25w(2 hours or less single bat mod)... i want safety and as long life as i can without having to carry a dozen back up batteries lmao.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

No.
    The screen is showing you the current from the regulator to the coils, not from the batteries to the regulator. Use the equation to calculate battery current.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    No.
    The screen is showing you the current from the regulator to the coils, not from the batteries to the regulator. Use the equation to calculate battery current.
    Yeah, the amp display on mods is next to useless. Does nothing but confuses users. Manufacturers shouldn't include it in my opinion.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    i didn't have a married set for the 220, i just got it today... it balanced the batteries i do have that were bought at the same time, but used separately... the store i bought it from didn't have anything better than the HE4's which is why i didn't buy new bats for the mod today. i'm rural and getting batteries means i have to get them online and trying to find them in this country can be such a joy! NOT... i might just see if i can get them shipped here from the states, but i'm going to do the painful search here first for the VTC5as.

i'm not big on high wattage anyhow... i can kill batteries fast enough at 25w(2 hours or less single bat mod)... i want safety and as long life as i can without having to carry a dozen back up batteries lmao.
    Hey, forgot to mention that I have ordered batteries from Lightning Vapes successfully into Canada a few times. Generally Samsung and LGs, but they are authentic, super cheap in 2 or 4 packs and shipping is reasonable. No tax or duty either.

P.s. Their wick/wire combos are stupid cheap. A pack of Native Wicks Platinum or Cotton Bacon AND 100' of wire for $5-6 total.

Shipping takes about a week via USPS/Canada Post.

CaponeGiaccone

Mar 8, 2016
    I got a pair each of LG HB4, LG HB6, and Sony VTC5A 18650 batteries. The Alien 220 has basically the power output and battery balancing technology as the G-Priv 220 minus the screen which drains battery unless turned all the down and turn off quickly set up.. I use the G-Priv with LG 30 amp 1500 mAH batteries and blast off the Sense Blazer tank at 180W then swith coils and use VTC5As. REMEMBER the tanks dont neeeed to run as high wattage as is recommend as maximum. It's too warm at 200W so lime 160W is very reasonable, dual 18650 charging in a state of the art mod. Gold plated connections, I've had about 8 cycles of each pair of batteries internally charged at the same max voltage everytime. Pink HB6s charge very quickly and I suggest the pink HB6s onlY because at times near 200W with a .15ohm octuplet clapton or a TFV8 interchangeable coil, the amperage can hit 31 on the screen. HB6s are able to display it so must be able to be pushing it. The best mod. Dont take off the screen film if you dont need to. I ended up with a Gold G-Priv and trust the on board charging when it comes the dual 18650s on this beast. Alien220 is the same thing. Although I honestly think the GPriv is capable of higher wattage with 2 Sony VTC5As for casual vaping. Skip the Marahall G320 I think it's cheaply made and don't trust it's on board balancing charger. It came out of no where and the quality is cheap. Zinc-alloy construction and that screen plus the fact that the chip is so fresh on the Alien and gpriv, go with those. Dont test the limits if you vape comfortably at under 180W and rock VTC5A 25 amp 2,600mAH beasts. Sense blazer is the tank to get. It's a new tank set up with its own ceramic coil and clapton option plus all the TFV8 Coils with leaks or spitback. Great. I suggest Stainless steel color models because they never let me down in terms of quality. Alien 220 is the win. Gpriv is the showy version

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I got a pair each of LG HB4, LG HB6, and Sony VTC5A 18650 batteries. The Alien 220 has basically the power output and battery balancing technology as the G-Priv 220 minus the screen which drains battery unless turned all the down and turn off quickly set up.. I use the G-Priv with LG 30 amp 1500 mAH batteries and blast off the Sense Blazer tank at 180W then swith coils and use VTC5As. REMEMBER the tanks dont neeeed to run as high wattage as is recommend as maximum. It's too warm at 200W so lime 160W is very reasonable, dual 18650 charging in a state of the art mod. Gold plated connections, I've had about 8 cycles of each pair of batteries internally charged at the same max voltage everytime. Pink HB6s charge very quickly and I suggest the pink HB6s onlY because at times near 200W with a .15ohm octuplet clapton or a TFV8 interchangeable coil, the amperage can hit 31 on the screen. HB6s are able to display it so must be able to be pushing it. The best mod. Dont take off the screen film if you dont need to. I ended up with a Gold G-Priv and trust the on board charging when it comes the dual 18650s on this beast. Alien220 is the same thing. Although I honestly think the GPriv is capable of higher wattage with 2 Sony VTC5As for casual vaping. Skip the Marahall G320 I think it's cheaply made and don't trust it's on board balancing charger. It came out of no where and the quality is cheap. Zinc-alloy construction and that screen plus the fact that the chip is so fresh on the Alien and gpriv, go with those. Dont test the limits if you vape comfortably at under 180W and rock VTC5A 25 amp 2,600mAH beasts. Sense blazer is the tank to get. It's a new tank set up with its own ceramic coil and clapton option plus all the TFV8 Coils with leaks or spitback. Great. I suggest Stainless steel color models because they never let me down in terms of quality. Alien 220 is the win. Gpriv is the showy version

Umm...do those screens display the battery current or the coil current?
    Most display the coil current which is, typically, much higher than the battery current in a multiple-battery mod.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    That amp meter gives useless information. As Mooch says, it's the amps at the coil, which isn't the same as the battery amp draw. You need to calculate that:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / battery cutoff voltage = amps

So, at 180w:

198 / 5.8 (two batteries in series, 2.9v cutoff) = 34 amps (per battery)

Coil resistance doesn't factor in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread