Need help on which switching regulator to use for VV box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleZoom

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
Tennessee
So, after looking at (and lusting for) pre-built VV mods I've decided to build my own for a few reasons. I love tinker so it'll be fun, and a provari is a big investment. And what if I find 3.7 with x.xohm atty/carto is my sweet spot? Or 5.0 volt with x.xohm atty/carto? So, my persuit for vaping perfection has led me to building a nice VV box mod. I'm gonna start with the standard plastic box mod until I figure out what works best, then migrate to a nice aluminum case with a more "polished" build. I figure with this route I can afford to have a mistake or two along the way and still come out under the price of a pre-built. If the box shape doesn't suit me, I'll go with a "copper" style mod once I get my bearings. I have decided that running batteries in series and using a buck converter is probably my best bet. I don't want to use a linear regulator because of the heat issue, I want it to be sooo cool haha My issue is in choosing WHICH buck converter to use. I don't want a "low" (2.5) amp limit, or a "low" 15 watt limit. If I wanna use triple coils on this baby at 6 volts, i'd like it to handle. I probably won't, but you get the picture. I'd like the potentiometer I chose to go from 3-7 or so. (As opposed to 0-7 and the like.) I'd also like to incorporate a digital potentiometer and a display/volt meter so I don't have to externally attach it. So, any help I can get on this project would be awesome. I love this forum, such a great place all around. Thanks in advance everyone :)

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I wouldn't necessarily say the OKR-T/6 is best because it requires no caps, this is very nice, but it's performance. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add caps to it, but it performs beautifully without them, and takes up much less space. The output is smooth enough for the MadVapes voltage meter to work on it. I have build mods with the OKR-T, TI, and SWADJ regulators and they all perform nicely, but I prefer the OKR-T .

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
That's all there is to recommend it as 'better'? :)

The good modders like Mamu and CapCad cap the Murata, just like they would the TI.
Well, you can if you want, but you're not improving performance. The OKR series recommend caps to improve dynamic response and reduce ripple, things that are of no benefit when powering an atomizer. Now, if you're powering other electronics with an OKR, external caps might be necessary.

On-board caps is a pretty big reason. There's the extra expense and hassle of using caps that conform to specifications you don't have with the OKR. Plus, you have a smaller footprint especially since the OKR is smaller to begin with. The OKR is also cheaper even without including the cost of capacitors.

TripleZoom

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
Tennessee
Well, the OKR-T/6 looks like a winner for sure. So, I'm not dead set on a digital pot, but it wouuld be nice....What I am set on is a built in voltmeter. I've never built a mod before, but I do have some experience with other electronics. All of this is going to be a learning experience., and I'm glad I have this forum for support. So, what potentiometer should I get so I can go from, say, 3-6v? And will the voltmeter they sell at madvapes work with the OKR? Says on the site it doesn't work with switching regulators. Is that really the case, and if so, where can I find a voltmeter that has several imputs (so I can check battery power as well as the set vout) and that will work fine with a switching reg?

Last edited:

TripleZoom

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
Tennessee
Last edited:

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
This is a plug and play model... I have 2 and they work very well... you can add an led, volt display, good button, battery tray, and box to house it all, and you're done! oh yeah, a 510 cart connection...

Model Dimension Engineering DESWADJ3

And, I just rec'd these as samples from TI... I believe they'll be a good answer as well...

PTR08100W - 10-A, 4.5V-14V Input, Non-Isolated, Wide Output, Adjustable Power Module

and

PTR08060W - 6-A, 4.5V to 14V Input, Non-Isolated, Wide Output, Adjustable Power Module

They only took a few days to get here after I ordered them... Steeljan has a youtube showing exactly how to build with them as well..

STEELJAN VIDEO

Honestly, don't buy a prebuilt box mod... I have and wish I hadn't.. 'You' can control the quality better, and use the best components (box, button, etc), and not be disappointed with the high cost the prebuilts bring with them. Not going to expand on that... But, it's true...

There are tons of component diagrams and suggestions in here and if you have ANY soldering skills, it'll be a no brainer.. A dremel with a cutting wheel and a 'burr' are helpful as well. It's too DAMN easy to ignore the DIY.

BTW, Dealextreme has 18650 2 battery trays... Thats my next step! But, with the Model Dimension Engineering Module, with 2ea 14500 900mahs, I'm getting OVER a day of pretty constant vaping.. With the cheap linear's, like MV offers, I get about half of that.... and they GET hot.. These Model dimensions ones, no noticeable heat.... Haven't tripped out yet either... for the $23, they are a no brainer...

comments?

TripleZoom

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
Tennessee
The "plug and play model" that you listed: "AnyVolt Micro is a miniature step-up / step-down switching DC-DC converter. The output is adjustable from 2.6V to 14V and currents up to 0.5A can be drawn." I don't really need 14-, but I sure need more than half an amp! I appreciate the suggestions anyways. I've decided on the OKR-T/6 and I think it will suit my purpose very well.

bikertrash

Oct 29, 2011
NC
Yup, I agree... I listed the RC Hobby link primarily due to be a slight amount less expensive than from the Mfg site.. installation is really small and clean... I will probably secure a couple of OKR's just to tinker with.. I'm quickly finding there are a LOT of great DIY choices.. I only mention the SWADJ3 due to ease of wiring. There almost is nothing to do to employ it. And, it WORKS very well. The worm screw pot and everything is integrated... Not as easy to adjust on the fly I suppose... There's always something wrong with everything.......

I like it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread