Need Help with a Batch of Home-Brewed NET - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarruth

May 3, 2015
I made a batch of home-brewed NET, and at first it tasted awful. Then I steeped it in a dark closet, leaving the lid off so it would get air. It smelled a lot better, and then I tried vaping it, and it tasted and smelled great - for about the first 20 minutes or so. Then it goes flat, no flavor or aroma, sort of tasteless and "oily" - completely dead and flat. If I keep vaping it after that, I get the familiar burnt coil smell. I have filtered it many times over.

I followed this recipe, but after reading a few recipes online, the methods seemed almost identical to each other.
How to make your own Naturally extracted Tobacco NET's.

1. Any ideas about where I went wrong?
2. Is there a way to save this batch, or do I need to toss it. If so, why?

Hoping to improve my NET making skills.
Thanks for any help offered.
jcarruth

Reactions: 67Tele

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm not a fan of high heat extractions, too high a temperature not only harms flavor but it pulls more oil and other undesirables from the tobacco yielding a gunky NET. The link you provided indicated water temperatures above boiling (> 210F) which I personally feel is excessive from a flavor perspective. There are several threads within this sub-forum that provide in-depth details and information on heat assisted PG/VG extractions; Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea Personally, I'd keep the extraction temperature below 150F and process the tobacco for around four days. If you have the patience you might try a simple room temperature extraction, it's bulletproof (there's no way to mess it up) and yields the best flavor available from a PG/VG based extraction process but the down side is it takes about 12 weeks to obtain peak flavor. Here's a link for cold extractions; Cold maceration of tobacco

The other problem is that coffee filters are really inadequate for final filtering. The typical coffee filter provides 25 - 50 microns particle retention whereas for a cleaner performing NET you really need to filter extract at around 3 micron or better. The better it's filtered the longer your wicks and coils will last before fouling. Extracts made using PG/VG as the solvent even when properly filtered will foul wicks/coils in 3 - 5ml. Without adequate filtering fouling occurs much quicker.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
ouch... a pressure cooker set for 10 lbs?? thats like 238F...
temps like that will release oils and create micro particles of crud that are nearly impossible to filter out with coffie filters...
oils and natural waxes in tobacco produce a bitter, green ( grassy) taste.
I prefer keeping the temps around 140F and use Everclear as the solvent.
check out the thread on PGA extracting...

and of course... a good aging time helps in developing the flavors too
a good 2-3 weeks improves things tremendously :)

Reactions: 67Tele

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Great advice above from those that taught me.
I do the cold maceration (1 oz pipe tobacco in a 4 oz Mason jar w/PG). 10-12 weeks in the cabinet, taking it out once a week to do a slow roll (Don't agitate it too much.)
First Filter: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quali...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
Second Filter: #2 round/fluted paper coffee filter
Third and Final Filter: http://www.amazon.com/Ahlstrom-6010...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

All through: http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDC-02W...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Gets me about 120ml extract.

After mixing I use this a bit for mixing and to introduce some oxygen: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Br...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Then I give the mix a bath in the rice cooker on Keep Warm at ~100 degs for 2-3-4 hours. Put it back in the cabinet for 2-4 weeks shaking occasionally.

It's a waiting game when you begin but, once you get it going you'll have a good stash that will last a long time.

Good Luck

I made a batch of home-brewed NET, and at first it tasted awful. Then I steeped it in a dark closet, leaving the lid off so it would get air. It smelled a lot better, and then I tried vaping it, and it tasted and smelled great - for about the first 20 minutes or so. Then it goes flat, no flavor or aroma, sort of tasteless and "oily" - completely dead and flat. If I keep vaping it after that, I get the familiar burnt coil smell. I have filtered it many times over.

I followed this recipe, but after reading a few recipes online, the methods seemed almost identical to each other.
How to make your own Naturally extracted Tobacco NET's.

1. Any ideas about where I went wrong?
2. Is there a way to save this batch, or do I need to toss it. If so, why?

Hoping to improve my NET making skills.
Thanks for any help offered.
jcarruth

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am way too busy paying the mortgage to spend hours playing with stoves/ pressure cooker / etc.
I try for simplicity. 1oz. of tobacco in a half-pint Mason jar, fill with PG, seal and set in closet shelf (cool and dark) for eight weeks. Then I strain out the tobacco and filter with an Aero press. Two passes brings me down to 2.5 micron filter paper.
These will last for months. But that's just me......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread