Need help with first mech mod for birthday present to myself

Discussion in 'APV Discussion' started by meatball0223, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. meatball0223

meatball0223 Full Member

Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    My birthday is coming up soon and as a present to myself, I wanted to get a starter mech setup and step further into the world of vaping.

I have been vaping since about June of last year. I started on blu cigs and quickly moved to ego style batteries. For the past three months now I have been rotating between an mvp v2 and an ego twist for on-the-go vaping.

I have a series of questions and would like your help setting me up with a reliable and safe starting setup. I have a pretty good understanding of ohms law and battery limitations, and I plan to get some 30a batteries even though I don’t plan on vaping anything under .8 or so.

Generally, I am looking for a clone setup, as I don’t want to spend too much money before I commit to mechs for good. But I am looking to spend up to $150 or so and I also have an amazon card I plan to use for the charger, kanthal, and other accessories that doesn’t count toward the totals, so any supplies that I can get on amazon would be preferred so I can just use up the card.

My first question is simple. I need recommendations for a good, reliable, starter mech. I know a lot of people are going to suggest the hcigar nemesis clone, but I would like other recommendations as I am already considering that one but I would like more input. I am not very picky about design as long as it is reliable. I also would like to know what the better clone RDA’s are and where I can purchase them from a reliable online vendor. Are there any mechs and rda’s that were meant for each other ( look good together)?

In addition, I would need to know a good reliable charger, preferably on amazon, that I could use. I have heard nitecore’s are good, but are there any other recommendations? For my 18350s I plan on buying some aw imr’s off of rtdvapor. Does anyone have a list of a few reliable vendors that sell the genuine sony 30a 18650’s?

besides kanthal and cotton, ekowool, what are some necessary accessories/supplies? Are there any tool kits or sets that are recommended to buy?

I also had some questions about maintenance and setup. Are there any necessary cleaning steps I should take before using my mech? Does the tube need to be washed or sanded in any way upon receiving it? Are there any specific compounds I should be using to clean the mech? And how often/thoroughly should I be cleaning it? Are there any critical steps in preventing shorts or resistance in the mech itself?

What are the advantage of dual/single coils in RDA’s? is one inherently better than the other?

Lastly, I generally have a good idea about battery limitations and I only plan on pushing about half of the amp limit on the batteries but I have a couple last questions. Can someone explain the C rating of a battery and how I can use that to find the amp limit without looking it up? Also, can someone explain voltage drop to me, as this is one thing I never really learned about.

If you have anything to add, please feel free to do so, any help is greatly appreciated and I am excited to step further down the vaping rabbit hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.