Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
This might be in the big thread but its to big to find.

I'm getting a burnt taste off most of my new e2s. Many have tasted burnt right out of the package(some light some heavy burned taste). I'm getting good vapor production but poor flavor. Today I had one going good for a while but then it tasted burned after a refill. It doesn't matter what device I'm using or what voltage. The one XL e2 i tried tastes more like plastic or rubber.

Also, I'm using the 510s and I have black, steel and the XLs. I'm using one now that doesn't taste burned but still isn't giving me the best flavor. Over the past few weeks I've tried just about every kind of carto available and just haven't had any luck....what am I doing wrong?

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Are yours the Ceramic cup type?
What voltage/ohms Carto did you order?

If you are taking long drags, it will eventually give a burning taste. Mine taste burnt after 2 seconds when using the 3,7v carto's on a 3.7v battery.

If the wick has a clear liquid when new, you need to soak the carto in hot water to remove the Primer liquid.

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
they are the ceramic cup ones.

they ohm out at 2.9 but I'm not 100% sure what voltage that should be run at. Im using a buzz so ive tried all different voltages. Ive also used them with an ego and had same results. Also, it tastes burnt right from the start.

the wicks look dry. I wonder if my specific juice could have anything to do with it? I've got a unit in the mail that is supposed to be adjustable all the way down to 3v....maybe that will help...i dunno

KEITH97M3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
HONOLULU, HAWAII
nu-vapor.com
I got 20 of the ceramic cup ones a few weeks ago also and every single one of them has the same burnt chemical taste no matter what I do. I tried flushing it out before using, wasted a ton juice by doing this and nothing seems to get rid of that awful burning chemical taste.

I give up trying to use those, just not worth the barely 1ml it holds and you cannot even use half that juice anyways because the wick will not bring the liquid to the coil once it gets that low.

Bad design that was not well tested, worst carto I have ever used and I have used every single different one made for a 510. Regular cartoz hold just as much with out the crappy taste and cost less anyways so I cannot see any reason to switch to these.

Verdict on these E2 cartoz is: Total Fail.

Aloha, Keith

Last edited:

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Well I have 30 of the XL KR808D-1 Ceramic cup ones and I use them exclusively, I dont even touch the original carto's anymore.

If they taste burnt then your batteries voltage may be too high. 2.9ohms should work fine with a 3.3v Battery (3.7v Battery should also be fine, at least when not fully charged). 3.2ohms work best with a 3.7v Battery.

Are you sure you have the ceramic cup revision? The earlier plastic cup ones burn the juice very easily.
Remove the caps and try to bend the cup. If its solid, its ceramic.

I use V4L juice by the way (mostly PG). If you are using 100% VG then it may be a bit thick resulting in a dry wick if chain vaping or taking long drags. As I mentioned before, if I drag for longer than 2 seconds, the juice tastes burnt. But 1-2 seconds is enough to get a decent vape.

Last edited:

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
hmm...I'm pretty sure its just firing too hot for my preferred fluid. I'm not sure of the mix but its a thick dark brown tobacco flavor. I did try some 80%pg and it seems to work just fine(i'm not a big fan of the flavor though). I should have some 50/50 clear juice in the mail today maybe that will help. and yes i'm sure they are ceramic.

These things put out vapor like its going out of style so im not giving up quite yet. That 3v mod might solve my problems.

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
I just cleaned out my most burned tasting one, filled it with 50/50 clear and put on the ego. It tastes far less burned(but still a hint) Peppermint is a good flavor btw. I checked the specs on that new mod I bought and it is guaranteed to 2.7v on the low end(but states it should go lower than that). If this combo doesn't produce quality vapor I give up.

Even though these things all 0hm out at 2.9 they seem to fire at greatly different temps.

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC
I got five boxes of the ceramics the other day. The wicks don't burn. There are videos of that. Beyond that I'm thinking it's best to burn them off first. After about a day of vaping I finally got rid of most of the taste on one that I just filled and vaped. On a another, I burned it off quite a bit and it doesn't taste like the other. The seller said that there wouldn't be any primer on these but evidently there was. When using my Wetbox if the liquid is used up I can shoot some to it and keep on vaping. I'm trying to get these to work like they should because I want to get away from expensive attys. But attys seem to taste better. Dunno, haven't decided what to do yet.

:)

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
I've managed to get one going really good. I did what you said and it helped straight off. I still had a hint of burnt taste so I scaled back my new VV to 3.4. Which is just a hair lower than any other of my devices will run. Mine seem to be firing a bit too hot. I wasn't taking long draws or anything.

I've still got work to do before I master the art of the E2

oettinger

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Tampa, Fl.
I have gone to these exclusively and exclusively on 3.7 volt mods.

I find the juice makes the biggest difference. On their own website it says they are designed to work with Dekang, or EcoPure juices ONLY. and that the 510's are designed to work on "Joye" devices only.

I use juice that is 80pg 20vg, and is CLEAR, and they work awesome. I put in some Dark, Thick Freedom Smoke USA juice, and it would not wick AT ALL.

I think the resellers should be sure to list the warnings from the original site so that customers do not get the wrong impression of these.

PS jdubious: I love the Wolfsburg logo for your avatar. I have one tattooed on my leg. I am a giant VW weirdo.

jdubious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Coppell, TX
That makes sense, I have had slightly better luck with my clear fluids. Sadly, I have very little fluid like that and many of the E2 cartos. I just threw some mystery fluid(Marlbo) in a fresh carto and am getting good vapor with no other preparations. Also, i noticed I get way too tight a draw unless i use my ego.

Oettinger, I am a VW mechanic and enthusiast. I wanted an avatar that was VW related but only those that are in the know would recognize. I found this guys photo bucket and he has dozens to choose from. Pictures by caddy-shack - Photobucket

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just some things that I found about these E2 cartos.

The quality control is hit or miss. Some have mystery fluid on the wick which gives them a terrible taste. Some wick well and some don't.

If you have not bought any yet I would say hold off and wait for the "next" revision to come out, R4.

If you have some now you are not stuck. Here is what gives the best results for me for a New Carto.

1) Check the battery threads on the carto BEFORE you do anything to them. Some have come from the factory with FUBAR threads that could damage your battery.

2) Remove the 2 seals that come are under the mouth piece and then Dry burn. Hold the battery button down for about 5 seconds while watching the coil wire in the cart. It should glow orange. Let cool for 5 minutes.

3) Boil the carto body in water for 5 to 10 minutes without the seals or mouth piece.

4) Flick out the water and then dry with a blow dryer or oven at 200F.

This should get any tastes out of the carto.

If the carto doesn't seem to wick fast enough, the easiest solution is to hold your PV level or the battery end slighty up when you take a hit. If you like to mod things, you might try putting a small piece of folded up PTB next to the wick on both sides of the cup. It's easy and it doesn't need to come out unless you decide to boil the carto again.

It is a little bit of a hassle the first time you do it until you find the best technique and tools to get the PTB into the carto. But it can work wonders. There is a complete how to vid inside the big thread about cutting and inserting the PTB into the carto.

I know the E2 Techical thread is big, I started it, but a quick search of the thread for PTB mod might turn the E2 cartos you have into something that works for you.

I too was Very disappointed when I first tried these E2 cartos. But after some trials and errors and reading about 2,000 posts in the "Big Thread", I realized that they can be made to work.

Hope this helps.

nightsong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Dallas
The downside to that is that the wick is then saturated with water. How long do they have to sit to dry out? Can they be oven dried and if so at what temp, if you have tried?
I soak them for 20 minutes in warm water, rinse and flick all the water out. Turn the oven on for about 3 minutes to preheat and turn it off (probably reaches ~200) Throw them in there and let them dry and then usually only have to do 2 5-sec burns and the coil is hot and no more vapor coming out. Good as new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread