RDA NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZGOER

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hello, I'm Frank. I hope I'm in the right area for help. I have a Velocity rda, at first everything was great, big clouds, great flavor, and so on. However, now every build I do has a harsh, burnt taste. Can't even use it. I tear it down, start over and get the same result. What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my rda? Please help.

Thank you,
Frank

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello, I'm Frank. I hope I'm in the right area for help. I have a Velocity rda, at first everything was great, big clouds, great flavor, and so on. However, now every build I do has a harsh, burnt taste. Can't even use it. I tear it down, start over and get the same result. What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my RDA? Please help.
Thank you,
Frank
Might want to start at known good settings where/when "at first everything was great".

ErrrKT19

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
c.r., co
Hello, I'm Frank. I hope I'm in the right area for help. I have a Velocity RDA, at first everything was great, big clouds, great flavor, and so on. However, now every build I do has a harsh, burnt taste. Can't even use it. I tear it down, start over and get the same result. What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my RDA? Please help.

Thank you,
Frank
sounds like your coil may have a short/hotspot. photo of your build? more detailed info on your build process would be most helpful =)

EZGOER

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2015
Sounds a lot like a wicking problem. Not sure what you are using for wicking but to much is worse than not enough.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have been using the pre-built Comp Wire coils by Wotofo and Cotton Bacon 2 wicking in my builds. I feel like these coils are "to tight" for me, I have to really twist the cotton to pass it through the coils.

EZGOER

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2015
A couple of things. 1- if you are having to twist wick through the coil like that, you are using too much. Wick should me feel firm, but you should be able to insert and remove quite easily.

Are you pulsing and checking for hot spots before you wick? If it's not glowing evenly then that could also be your issue.
Thanks for getting back to me again. I will try using less wick material. Seemed to work better at first when I was using cotton that came with Kanger Subbox. Yes, I check my coils first and get a nice even red glow all the way across. But I will definitely try again using less cotton. Just wandering, could I have a problem with my RDA? Maybe something wrong with the PEEK insulator? Burnt? Cracked?

Thanks again

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
A burnt insulator will give a burnt taste - but the more likely culprit is tight wicking.
As mentioned, it should slide easily through the coil, while not leaving gaps of open space.
Otherwise, you're "choking" the wick - liquid won't be able to get to the coil, and you be vaping toasted cotton...

Thanks for getting back to me again. I will try using less wick material. Seemed to work better at first when I was using cotton that came with Kanger Subbox. Yes, I check my coils first and get a nice even red glow all the way across. But I will definitely try again using less cotton. Just wandering, could I have a problem with my RDA? Maybe something wrong with the PEEK insulator? Burnt? Cracked?

Thanks again

EZGOER

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2015
Have you checked the 5-10 pin, is it stick out far enough? I had a Velocity clone and running it on my rig v2 and everything was fine at first but out of nowhere something had changed. The 5-10 for one reason or another had become too short and started shorting out.
Thanks for answering. I have had a problem with the 5-10 pin, but not like what you say. The pin on mine was loose and making the post loose, pin seems to stick out far enough, making good connection. When I tightened the pin it didn't really seem to help my problem any.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread