Need lightly flavored, zero nic, e-liquid for movie scene...recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hello,
    I'm building some custom electronics to control some effects in a movie and they asked me if I knew a way to enable someone to blow a huge cloud of smoke. Umm, yea, I might. :)

But, the person blowing the cloud will most likely have never vaped before. If they're lucky they'll get a few minutes of practice before they shoot. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightly flavored, zero nicotine, liquid we could use? I'm thinking that a gentle mint flavor might be the most universally liked?

They have a budget of $100 for this effect, device and liquid. While I know I can probably get something that will work for this I think I might want to add on a few extra dollars of my own and buy something nicer since I will get to keep the device. The subox mini is looking pretty good. :) Have to look around though as I don't know if it will give them the cloud volume they want.

Cloud size/density is very important but not if the actor starts coughing after each draw. He's going to need to fill his lungs and hold that for a couple of seconds before exhaling. Thanks for any liquid recommendations you might have!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    How concerned should I be about possible throat irritation? The actor will practice a few times, at least, and then they'll get someone to come over and view the different cloud sizes/shapes the actor can come up with (more draws). They'll go on set and practice the scene a couple of times (more draws) and then do up to several takes before he's done (more draws).

A little irritation is OK but if it rapidly builds up to where he ends up coughing every time, we're doomed. Should I try to have the practice and approval done a day or two earlier? I would just go ahead and do this but it's going to be hell trying to set it up and would like to avoid that if you thought it wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks!
    If I understand the scene correctly it's sort of a "who's got the biggest..." between two guys, but using smoking instead. One of them (a big guy) takes a drag on a huge cigar and produces a decent cloud, and he looks smug. The other, much smaller, guy takes a drag on his measly little cigarette and blows this monster cloud. He wins. :)

I think they are going to set it all up so that he takes a huge draw from the PV then switch to the cigarette before exhaling. They wiill set up the shot (editing, angles, etc.) to not show the PV and its use. I don't know the details though. I don't even get to see the scene being shot! :-(

[ecit] I must be misunderstanding sonething about the scene though because you don't take long drags on a cigar, right? No inhaling?

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    When I smoked, I inhaled cigars. It's harsh, but doable. Another option for the straight VG is to take pure VG and cut it with a few drops of water. It'll thin it just enough to make it wick better. For pure cloud chasing, the Freemax Starre or Atlantis 2 will do wonders. Use the 0.3 ohm (0.2 for the Starre) head at about 70 watts. Show him how to direct to lung... anyone vaguely familiar with smoking has problems with this concept.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread