Need more info about Wismec RX200S

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Single 18xxx battery charging in a mod, *cringe*, for the most part safe to due in an emergency or a pinch when not near your regular charger, or until you can afford one. Multiple battery configurations, the mod charging balancing boards are generally not that reliable, one battery gets fully topped off properly while other batteries can get overcharged or charged below the others. This unbalanced charge levels can be dangerous as the lower battery put more stress on the higher charged battery, or an overcharged battery this damages that battery. You do not necessarily need to buy a 6bay charger, a 4bay will work just as well and may be cheaper to afford, being with just 2 married sets of batteries, 3 are in service (in the mod), and 3 are charging/resting. I get almost a day and a half off a charge with my RX200 using LG HG2 batteries, 0.3ohm dual clapton (24core, 28wrap wire) at 100watts and only have 2 married sets for the RX.

MegaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
USA
www.megavaper.com
I have the mod. Yes you can charge the batteries in the mod and get current voltage read out of each battery at any point in time. Is it safe? Yes, the mod will detect when one battery reaches max cap 4.20 volts and stop.

It is better to charge in a charger, for balancing voltage. Its a little tricky to do in the mod. one battery will constantly drain faster then the other two. you will have to continually rotate to that spot and vape to get the voltage down so that the device will charge again.

Reactions: SteveS45

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Three of my chargers are 4 bay. Before buying a 4 bay charger look at how many milliamps it can provide when charging more than one or two batteries. My Efest LUC 4 can charge 4 batteries at 1A. My new Xtar VC4 4 bay charger can only charge 2 batteries at a time at 1A. 4 batts get .5A charge rate.

So, when charging a set of batteries for the RX200S I'm better off using the LUC 4 and getting the charging done at half the time. The Xtar VC4 will chug along for about twice as long if I charge all three at a time, but it has some other features I like. When charging is done from a low level to full, it evaluates the MAH strength of the battery and reports it on the display. My brand new 2100mah VTC4's come out at around 2060mah after the 3rd charge cycle. I expect that to get better with a few more charge/discharge cycles.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Welcome to ECF!

If you think you're just going to be charging for a month or so on in device charging, I'd say go for it. Just allow the batteries to relax for 30 to 60 minutes after you charge them before discharging them.

Regarding buying a charger. I have 3 chargers, 1 - 2 cell Nitecore, 1- 4 cell Nitecore, and 1 - 4 cell XTAR VC4.

The XTAR:
    * is so much better it isn't even close. Wish that I had only purchased VC4s. Make sure if you buy an XTAR VC4 you buy the model that has a car adapter, wall adapter, the USB cable and the charge body. You want the ability to charge via more than a USB cable.
    * my VC4 revealed to me that my 3000mah batteries are NOT reaching their full capacity anymore....and I'd tell you where they are at, but they're in the VC4 right now.
    * the XTAR can also reboot dead batteries if they sit for too long and are discharged too far, whereas with other chargers you would have to throw the batteries out.
    * current voltage and amps are on the read out along with mah

Immortel

May 2, 2016
    Hey guys.
    I dont want to kindap this thread and I didnt find any rule against it, but my apologies, if it is against any rule.
    I have kinda similar questions with similar topic, so I have to try it here.

Few days ago, I´ve bought RX200S. Great mod and such, but there is few things I want to know for sure.

1) Is it really that dangerous to charge batteries via usb connector?
    Im doing this but... Just to point one of those batteries get to 4v. Than Im switching batteries to external charger. But I dont have any charger that can charge more than one battery, so Im using HD-3013 charger, which is obviously cheap but my first one. This is for one battery.
    Second battery is charging in LiitoKala lii - 100 Smart Universal Battery Charger, which is maybe little bit better than HD-3013 but not that better.
    Third battery... Is charger via usb port in kbox mini (or istick pico). I just dont have any other 18650 charger and dont want to wait too long. Well, Im fine with 500mA chargin, which should be healthier for batteries.
    I should not probably charge batteries in RX200S and probably will not do it again.

2) Even when all batteries are charged this way to 4.2v, they are discharged unballanced. I mean, one is 3,96v, another 4,00v and another 3,8v, for example. What does it means? Does it means that RX200S discharging batteries badly OR those batteries are bad for RX200S as married?
    They are all LG HE4. Two bought from GB, third from my local shop (which is probably buying those batteries from China too). Is this bad for battery marriage? They all was used just in one battery mods (kbox mini, istick 60w tc, istick pico, kato mech) and was never discharged under 3,5v. Never.
    So, I just want to know, that Im doing badly at this. I think I know it, but read it from more experienced folks will be more persuading for me.

Yes, I have in mind that I have to buy 4 battery charger, but I cant right now. But will in month or so.
    Is it safe to do it this way or I should really buy 4 battery charger, like, right now?
    Im looking at XTAR VC4, which looks fine and have good reviews. Probably my next buy, but still cant find any info about how much mA will be delivered when all 4 slots are full. I mean, 500mA is fine for me, 1A is better but I want to use it just in rush. I like to take care about stuff so it last long. I hope.

Well, sorry for wall of text and sorry if Im breaking any rules, will start a new topic if needed.
    Thanks for any meaningfull reply and sorry for my bad english.
    Cheers!

Reactions: IMFire3605

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Hey guys.
    I dont want to kindap this thread and I didnt find any rule against it, but my apologies, if it is against any rule.
    I have kinda similar questions with similar topic, so I have to try it here.

Few days ago, I´ve bought RX200S. Great mod and such, but there is few things I want to know for sure.

1) Is it really that dangerous to charge batteries via usb connector?
    Im doing this but... Just to point one of those batteries get to 4v. Than Im switching batteries to external charger. But I dont have any charger that can charge more than one battery, so Im using HD-3013 charger, which is obviously cheap but my first one. This is for one battery.
    Second battery is charging in LiitoKala lii - 100 Smart Universal Battery Charger, which is maybe little bit better than HD-3013 but not that better.
    Third battery... Is charger via usb port in kbox mini (or istick pico). I just dont have any other 18650 charger and dont want to wait too long. Well, Im fine with 500mA chargin, which should be healthier for batteries.
    I should not probably charge batteries in RX200S and probably will not do it again.

2) Even when all batteries are charged this way to 4.2v, they are discharged unballanced. I mean, one is 3,96v, another 4,00v and another 3,8v, for example. What does it means? Does it means that RX200S discharging batteries badly OR those batteries are bad for RX200S as married?
    They are all LG HE4. Two bought from GB, third from my local shop (which is probably buying those batteries from China too). Is this bad for battery marriage? They all was used just in one battery mods (kbox mini, istick 60w tc, istick pico, kato mech) and was never discharged under 3,5v. Never.
    So, I just want to know, that Im doing badly at this. I think I know it, but read it from more experienced folks will be more persuading for me.

Yes, I have in mind that I have to buy 4 battery charger, but I cant right now. But will in month or so.
    Is it safe to do it this way or I should really buy 4 battery charger, like, right now?
    Im looking at XTAR VC4, which looks fine and have good reviews. Probably my next buy, but still cant find any info about how much mA will be delivered when all 4 slots are full. I mean, 500mA is fine for me, 1A is better but I want to use it just in rush. I like to take care about stuff so it last long. I hope.

Well, sorry for wall of text and sorry if Im breaking any rules, will start a new topic if needed.
    Thanks for any meaningfull reply and sorry for my bad english.
    Cheers!

1) Get a dedicated "Intelligent" 18650 charger when you can, or can afford one, suggested brands are Nitecore, Efest (LUC and Blu (bluetooth controllable)), or an Xtar, suggest at least a 4 bay. To keep the batteries truly balanced in RX, manually rotate the batteries in position within the mod, battery 1A back left, 1B back right, 1C Front outer battery, after re-charge, 1C back left, 1A back right, 1B Front outer battery as example, recharging sepperately from the mod just as long as all batteries in the set are brought back up to a full 4.2v charge state before use they become balanced equally at the same fresh charge level again.
    2) Different discharges you are reading, this is common with all multi-battery mods, my Sig150, IPV3, RX200, Kbox200 all display this, battery closest to the control board discharges the most or can be the least discharged, just the nature of the circuit, this is also showing you the lacking of a true charging balancer in the mod that a multi-bay external charger has, it charges equally well in the mod, yet the moment one of the batteries get to full 4.2v it shuts down charging entirely leaving the others not topped off, where an external charger each slot is wire independent and once a battery is full the controller shuts down just that slot's charging current.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The reason we recommend "marrying" batteries in a set is because multiple battery mods do not discharge (drain) the batteries equally during use. If batteries are used in random combinations (not married as a set), certain batteries will "age" unequally to others, meaning those batteries will become weaker over time. You always want your batteries to remain equal in performance to each other. As a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

The best way to "marry" batteries is to purchase batteries in sets. Same brand and model, same age, same lot (if you can). Mark them in some way to be able to identify which set they belong to.

I have an RX200. I use two married sets of batteries. Three LG HG2 3000mah 20 amp batteries and three AW 3000mah 20 amp batteries. The two sets are different colors (LG HG2 are brown, AW are red), so I don't have to mark them. It takes up to 4 - 6 hours to recharge each set when they are totally discharged, so it really does help to have two sets. I use a Nitecore Intellicharger i4.

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands; suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, discusses what independent charging bays are, LED and Liquid Crystal Display models, and "smart chargers".

I recommend getting two sets of three batteries for the RX200 of any of following batteries:

AW 20A 3000mAh Flat-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...a good high-capacity 20A battery, could be an HG2

LG INR18650-HG2 20A 3000mAh Bench Retest Results...a great 20A battery!

Samsung 30Q 20A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 20A/3000mAh battery!

Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Who has the best 3000mAh battery? -- LG HG2 vs Samsung 30Q vs Sony VTC6 Shootout

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
    • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Thanks to both of you. All informations you gave me was useful and gave me a lot.
    Before I can afford four slot charger, I will use those one battery chargers.
    Just one question for baditude.
    Is there way to check how many amps those baterries have now?
    They wasn't use for long, maybe four, five max months and never high drained.

If you have kept discharge current below 10amps (below 100watts), they should have a good life span, 50% of 20CDR. Because yes as they are charged and discharge during even gentle usage, mah decreases, thus CDR decreases, not maxing out at 50 to 75% total CDR, 9 to about 15months down the road they could be between 15 to 10amps CDR. You'll know they are at the end of their life when they do not hold their charge as long and feel to sag in power, which average happens around the 9 to 15month mark anyway. Charge life cycles batteries are generally rated for are between 150 to 250 (full charges coming up from about 3.0 to 3.2v all the way back up to 4.2v), I generally half cycle my batteries, they get between 3.5 to 3.8v before I recharge them you can generally get about double the charges of about 300 to 500 charge cycles the life of the battery.

Immortel

May 2, 2016
    I see. Good tips, thanks.
    I was used those baterries most of time below 20w and for short amount of time between 35-50w.
    That should be okay, but I have to get second threesome for proper rotating and peace charging. Still not decided which one, probably 20A will be more than enough (till I will buy So Horney or T6 base for my tornado) so I will be concentrating on mAh. I know about Mooch and his recommended batteries ("watching" him some time) so I will choose with that. 20A / 3000mAh would be best, but that is something I will think about later.
    Now it's time to get one of those intelligent chargers.
    Thanks for clarification, feel little bit safer and better :)

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Well for below 180ish watts, any 20amp name brand will work, the 3 suggested are the LG HG2, Samsung 30Q, and AW IMR 20amp 3000mah, Mooch has bumped up the 30Q as the best in that class at the moment, but the newer Sony VTC6 is also one to consider as well. 180 amounts about to 60 watts per battery, which is ideal on a 20amp, above 180watts Sony VTC4, LG HD2/HD2C to about 210 to 220watts, above that your are going to need 30amp CDR batteries like the LG HB2/4/6 but those are low mah but true 30amp and nothing on the market out performs them there, not even the old time champ the Sony VTC3, the LG HB series runs cooler where the VTC3 reaches max safest temp at about 27-28amps. But for your application the HG2, 30Q, and AW will work well in your usage without issue and might last up to 2 years at that gentle a usage below 30 to 40watts total.

Reading one of your posts above, the Xtar VC4 is a great choice on a dedicated charger, Xtars are like the Cadillac, Lexus, and Infinity brand with the best warranty and quality, pricey yes but that extra price gets you a great warranty.

Immortel

May 2, 2016
    Thanks for another good tips! I already know about HG2, 30Q but that IMR is new for me.
    I'm really can't say how high I want to go in watts, because I'm kinda new in cch (mostly mtl user) and still discovering new stuff to learn and try.
    I have little dream, where I have two threesome of high mAh batteries for daily use and later get some two or three threesome high amp batteries for trying big setups for big clouds, so this is really helped me. Once again thanks.
    Too shame that in our country people on forums aren't that into helping...

I think I saw that xtar for like 29$? That is not bad for really good charger (seen a lot pricey chargers without some of those features).

But let me correct you little, your wrote about my 30-40w using, I'm now on 40-55w. But I don't think that will make a difference :)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5

So, when charging a set of batteries for the RX200S I'm better off using the LUC 4 and getting the charging done at half the time. .......

I don't have the link handy but according to @Mooch the slower the batteries charge the more life/cycles you will get out of them. I have plenty (lol perhaps too many) singles and married 2x/3x sets of batteries so I am perfectly content to wait for them to charge in my efest LUC6 charger at 0.5A each. 2 of the bays can charge at 2.0 if charging one or two singles and 4 of the bays can charge at 1.0 if charging 4 or less cells but the only time I charge a non-married cell at >0.5A is if it is late at night (or I have to leave the house soon) and I want them charged ASAP so I don't have to leave the charger unattended.

Reactions: IMFire3605

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I don't have the link handy but according to @Mooch the slower the batteries charge the more life/cycles you will get out of them. I have plenty (lol perhaps too many) singles and married 2x/3x sets of batteries so I am perfectly content to wait for them to charge in my efest LUC6 charger at 0.5A each. 2 of the bays can charge at 2.0 if charging one or two singles and 4 of the bays can charge at 1.0 if charging 4 or less cells but the only time I charge a non-married cell at >0.5A is if it is late at night (or I have to leave the house soon) and I want them charged ASAP so I don't have to leave the charger unattended.

That's true, but Mooch also reveals that charging 18650's at 1A or even 2A in a hurry won't harm the batteries. I never go over 1A because I don't like for my batteries to get warmer than just enough to sense with a finger. Hot is bad for battery longevity.

I do want to charge them in 3 hours vs 6 hours, so I charge at 1A. If it's 6pm I want my batteries charged by 9pm instead of midnight. I agree that slower is better, but two years life from a $7 battery is plenty of use for my money.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just need to know if i can use the mod to charge the batteries until I can afford to buy a 6 bay charging station.

You can use the RX200S to charge the batteries straight from a USB cable, but I'd save that for times when you are away from home and you just have to do it to keep vaping. It's better and safer to take them out and use an outboard charger. If you are going to be gone for a while, carry a spare charged set of batteries in a plastic battery box.

Heat is generated in the mod when you charge them using the mod. You don't want to stress the electronics and end up with a bricked RX200S over time. Let the charger absorb the heat and stress of charging batteries.

Most chargers have a 12V cord included or available. Buy a cheap car charger with a cigarette lighter plug and keep it in the glove box.

When you go charger shopping make sure that it can charge 3 or 4 18650's at once on the 1A setting. Otherwise, you'll be charging two and then the other one or charging them all for 6 hours at .5A.

I like the Efest LUC 4. It charges up to 4 18650s at 1A.

Last edited:

Josh Vanderpool

Multiple ID Suspension
    Dec 18, 2016
    Ithaca, NY
    Well for below 180ish watts, any 20amp name brand will work, the 3 suggested are the LG HG2, Samsung 30Q, and AW IMR 20amp 3000mah, Mooch has bumped up the 30Q as the best in that class at the moment, but the newer Sony VTC6 is also one to consider as well. 180 amounts about to 60 watts per battery, which is ideal on a 20amp, above 180watts Sony VTC4, LG HD2/HD2C to about 210 to 220watts, above that your are going to need 30amp CDR batteries like the LG HB2/4/6 but those are low mah but true 30amp and nothing on the market out performs them there, not even the old time champ the Sony VTC3, the LG HB series runs cooler where the VTC3 reaches max safest temp at about 27-28amps. But for your application the HG2, 30Q, and AW will work well in your usage without issue and might last up to 2 years at that gentle a usage below 30 to 40watts total.

Reading one of your posts above, the Xtar VC4 is a great choice on a dedicated charger, Xtars are like the Cadillac, Lexus, and Infinity brand with the best warranty and quality, pricey yes but that extra price gets you a great warranty.

I use the VTC6s in my rx200s and they work great! I vape quite heavily and I don't go past 64% discharge on it a day (3.78v) and they also don't need to be married FYI, I use two older unmarried batteries as well as a brand new one I had to buy for it. But DONT use different brands in it only use the same kind and brand of battery. It doesn't vape above 9v so if you have a .5 coil in it won't go higher than 165w. I usually don't vape any higher than 125w with my sweet spot being at 85-110w. They suggest batteries that have a 25a limit at least and mooch says the vtc6s have a max CDR (not safe CDR!) Of 25a, iv had no problems! Except when I decided to drop it on concrete but it survived and still works like a charm, although my RDA didn't sadly lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread