Need motivation to quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
hi, this might be the 3rd thread I started. One was about fasttech where I got my kangertech subvod c's, the second was about coughing from the vaporizer, which I learned I was vaping too high of a nic level, and also needed max vg, then my bf's o ring on his subvod got cut in half when he changed the coil. Well, I just reordered and received and brand new subvod c cuz we think his was a lemon, and it was only $4 more to buy a whole new device rather than just a tank, plus we now have an extra battery.

Anyway. So it's two weeks in with the vapes, my bf is down to 1-2 cigs a day and doing great. I on the other hand am dying. Not literally. But my body get physically hot and sweaty, my blood boils and I obsessively think about smoking when it's been a few hours since I've had a real cig. Thing is, I know I'm not having nicotine withdrawal cuz of my vaporizer, so this all must be psychological. But I am terrified to run out of cigs. We have 7 packs left in the carton we were going to go thru and plan to never replace.

I am bipolar, I have BPD, PTSD, agoraphobia, and have a severe anxiety and panic disorder, I also have a (((very))) addictive personality. Cigarettes have been my stress ball, my excuse to step away from stress, the best friend that never criticizes me for 24 years. I have a huge psychological thing for everything about cigarettes and I'm so afraid to let go of them.

So here I am, I know many of you have found success in quitting via vaping and I want to get where you are. I mentioned this in my first post here, but I'm also on a fixed income so quitting would make a huge difference in my life financially. I'm here looking for advice, encouragement, tips for gaining the strength and motivation to let go of my cig habit. Right now I'm still smoking 8-10 cigs a day from 1 1/2 packs. But I really can't afford to vape AND smoke in future. Please help. TIA

P.s. The photo is of a rock I'm gifting my bf's dad of his 57' chevy, my kangertech subvod c, & a 120 mil bottle of Lucky Devil 6mg nic, banana marshmallow e juice that a kind person sent me on his dime when he found out I bought 24mg nic 80pg/20vg juice. It's very tasty and I plan to buy from him in future.

Attachments

• IMG_8296.JPG
    IMG_8296.JPG
    894.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: Cf11

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hi Sarah,
I'm not sure if I asked you before but are you on any medications for your health ( physically and mentally)?
I take meds every day so I'm not trying to offend you in anyway.
I can understand the anxiety that comes with not having a cigarette, I was really worried about that in the beginning also. We are all different but with myself I threw away my last pack of cigarettes the same day I brought my first Evod/Ego setup. Alot of people have vaped and smoked for a while to help with the weening process. From what you explained I think anxiety is the obstacle, not really any other thing. I have a good friend who is/was having the same issues. She went to see her doctor, and they gave her anxiety meds. But, she needed someone ,to talk to her, get her motivated or preoccupied to get into the rhythm of being focused on other things( hers became a redecorating). I bought a couple fidget spinners, 1 for mum, to keep me mentally busy.
I hope this is coming out correctly, understandable.
Let us know if anything changes. Don't worry, you're definitely not alone here. [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hi and welcome to ECF. Wow, sounds like you are having a rough time. Just don't be rough on yourself. I dual smoked and vaped until I was ready to fully give up the stinkies. Count the ones you haven't had and when you get the need vape until it passes. I know easier said than done. It is how I was able to put them down. I've also heard of people that put them down after their first vape on a mod. Well, that wasn't me. When I got serious, I made that last pack last a week or more. It can be done but it is in your time. Don't compare yourself to others, you are unique so doing it on your timetable is the way to get it done. You might need a bit more nic to get you over the hump. Just an old man's recommendations. Again, welcome.
Jerry

Simar Sidhu

Moved On
Jun 1, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I found that the biggest thing was to reach for a vape every time I wanted a cigarette and, keep one pack in the freezer until I decided it was okay top be out of smokes as long as I had my vape.

Every time you think you want a smoke, ask yourself which tastes better, which smells better and, what you really want. Then ask yourself if you really want to risk cancer, smell like an ashtray, risk starting a fire and, have to clean up after cigarettes yet again.

I'd bet that by the time you do a bit of self talk and answer all those questions, you will have picked up your vape and, won't want a smoke after all. :)

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
Hi Sarah,
I'm not sure if I asked you before but are you on any medications for your health ( physically and mentally)?
I take meds every day so I'm not trying to offend you in anyway.
I can understand the anxiety that comes with not having a cigarette, I was really worried about that in the beginning also. We are all different but with myself I threw away my last pack of cigarettes the same day I brought my first Evod/Ego setup. Alot of people have vaped and smoked for a while to help with the weening process. From what you explained I think anxiety is the obstacle, not really any other thing. I have a good friend who is/was having the same issues. She went to see her doctor, and they gave her anxiety meds. But, she needed someone ,to talk to her, get her motivated or preoccupied to get into the rhythm of being focused on other things( hers became a redecorating). I bought a couple fidget spinners, 1 for mum, to keep me mentally busy.
I hope this is coming out correctly, understandable.
Let us know if anything changes. Don't worry, you're definitely not alone here. [emoji106]

I use a fidget spinner in therapy, otherwise I get too overwhelmed and can't focus, I've been wanting one for home. I do take meds, lithium, resperidone, Wellbutrin, and Xanax. I used to take 4mg's of xanax a day and physically addicted but it took me 9 months to ween down to 1/2mgs a day. I've been severely anxious going on nine years now and for myself, anti anxiety meds really don't help me, they just make me tired. Don't worry I'm not offended. :) I'm currently having a hard time finding things to distract my brain, not just from smoking, but also intrusive thoughts. It's something I talk about in therapy, I'm not very good at self soothing nor distraction.

Reactions: Eskie

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
Hi and welcome to ECF. Wow, sounds like you are having a rough time. Just don't be rough on yourself. I dual smoked and vaped until I was ready to fully give up the stinkies. Count the ones you haven't had and when you get the need vape until it passes. I know easier said than done. It is how I was able to put them down. I've also heard of people that put them down after their first vape on a mod. Well, that wasn't me. When I got serious, I made that last pack last a week or more. It can be done but it is in your time. Don't compare yourself to others, you are unique so doing it on your timetable is the way to get it done. You might need a bit more nic to get you over the hump. Just an old man's recommendations. Again, welcome.
Jerry
Thank you. Yes, my mom and sister agree, I shouldn't compare my ability to cut down or quit to anyone else. I guess I just expected it to be a lot easier than it is. And now knowing how hard it actually is really scares me. But I will try to stop focusing on how well my bf is doing, that's been really throwing me off too.

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
I found that the biggest thing was to reach for a vape every time I wanted a cigarette and, keep one pack in the freezer until I decided it was okay top be out of smokes as long as I had my vape.

Every time you think you want a smoke, ask yourself which tastes better, which smells better and, what you really want. Then ask yourself if you really want to risk cancer, smell like an ashtray, risk starting a fire and, have to clean up after cigarettes yet again.

I'd bet that by the time you do a bit of self talk and answer all those questions, you will have picked up your vape and, won't want a smoke after all. :)
I like that idea. To ask myself questions//induce mindfulness. Thank you. I am going to ask myself those questions right now!!! Lol

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I still keep a pack of cigarettes in my bag after over a year of vaping and not smoking. I don't drink either, but also keep a bottle of wine in my room. Why? It just works for me. The fear of not having something that your so used to can be a bit overwhelming for some, like myself. What I did when I started vaping was smoke when I really needed to and vaped the rest of the time. After a while the cigarettes just sort of fell off and I found the vape to be enough for me. I know it's hard, but stick with it and don't pressure yourself if you feel the need to smoke. There are chemicals in cigarettes that the body needs detoxing from, and even though your not craving the nicotine, it's the other crap they put in them that keep us addicted. We all get there and it just takes time and for some it takes a bit longer than others. We got your back, and are here for you through the journey. :)

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Do like me, twisted my ankle, so I tricked my brain to think there was no pain in my ankle but slamming my hand in the car door. Now my ankle doesn't hurt.
(I do not recommend doing the above, it was a learning curve for me. It contains no nicotine or batteries and you must be of legal age in your respective state to purchase)[emoji3]

Reactions: Davs

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Davs
What worked for me was to not deny myself a cig but rather allow myself to have one but only after I vaped a bit. The vape was 18mg nic which was harsh and made me cough but what it did good for me was turn me off having that cig. The vaping took me to a point of a having a pain start in my head, like the start of a headache, which not only tells me I've had enough nic but makes the thought of smoking a cig very unappealing. Kinda of like chain smoking 3 cigs in a row. After being off cigs a couple of weeks I cut the nic down in my vape juice.
Maybe that would work for you but whatever route you use good luck with it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi,

I wanted to reply to your post, because I empathize a great deal with it. I'm bipolar type I also, struggle with anxiety and also take meds, and have been smoking steadily since age 18, stopping ONLY when pregnant and nursing. I too have cut back a great deal using an e-cig, and it's been hard, I too made several errors regarding nic level and whatnot.

The first thing I need to say is that I've TRIED nicotine replacement in various fashions, and it hasn't worked well. I quit for two or 3 weeks using an e-cig when they were pretty new.... But it was at a point in my life that I was not stressed, as I wasn't working.

This may help you or not, but the NIH (Mental health division) did a study on the reasons why putting down a cigarette can be tough even WITH nicotine replacement--- this was done a few years ago but I could probably find the link-- few people know this, but a tar cigarette, the tar itself is an anti-depressant also, it's an MAOI, which is one of the more powerful anti-depressants out there. KNOWING that was helpful for me, as I was like, "Well, if I can get through the first few weeks, I can deal with the MAOI fading away, and get used to just vaping (which is, as far as hand to mouth, far more satisfying than any other nic replacement.) I even considered asking my pdoc to give me EMSAM which is a transdermal MAOI for the first few weeks but then I was like, "Don't be an idiot, Anna, that's just ridiculous." That being said, as an MI person myself, though my quit date is Sunday, knowing I've already cut back if I start feeling drastic, I will take a hit or two off a cigarette and not beat myself up for it. The half pack I'm smoking? I already don't usually finish the whole cigarette. If you are worried, and financially strapped, grab one of those packs of cigarettes and use it ONLY with the understanding that hey, I will take a puff or two, put it somewhere safe, and puff on it later if I MUST). Yeah, yeah, they say relighting cigs is bad but this is a TRANSITION period. I bet smoking 1 or 1.5 cigs a day that way won't kill you, at this point. Also, there are great threads re: nicotine withrawal and how to figure it out, treat symptoms, etc.

Again, don't be too hard on yourself. There have been times when depressed/manic I've smoked up to 3 ppd, and cigarettes have been my best friend, for life. Until the past 2 years when I have gotten repeated, increased, horrible pneumonias and I know I'm headed for COPD if I don't stop--that's motivating :)

THIS MORNING was the FIRST MORNING in my life, it seems like, that I didn't head STRAIGHT for the cigs, which I usually do upon awakening, (with coffee), and this morning I bathed, did laundry, hit my vape, and THEN finally smoked a cigarette! What a victory! It's amazing what can be achieved with the right tools, motivation, and support. This is a fantastic site, and I really hope it helps.

Also, I'm not sure how much you are aware are your options for treating anxiety (which will probably rise, during the initial quit phase...) There are plenty of non-habit forming anxiety meds that you can consider, or talk over with your doc. I hate benzos too, they just make me freaky and disinhibited, sigh. I use Neurontin daily and it TRULY helps with the anxiety, and it's a daily med where I don't have to up the dosage. Also, Seroquel in TINY doses (maybe XR if you have to go places, function, and whatnot) helps me just become a non-anxious blob on the sofa, I use it during episodes where I'm just CRAZY anxious, that being said you have to be careful as some of the atypical-antipsychotics change how nicotine and cigs are processed in your system....

There are also tons of anxiety coping skills. I use the one called "Mammalian diving reflex" when I'm just NUTS.... You get a big bowl of water with ice-cubes in it and you close eyes, hold nose and breath, and suspend yourself up to your ears, a couple times. Whales and other diving mammals have this reflex-- it decreases pulse, respiration, etc., all things anxiety related, so that mammals can hold breath for a long time under water-- humans have it TOO, though we don't use it much. I was skeptical to try it (I hate cold water, but it WORKS). I plan to use this if I'm really fretting for a real cigarette, as it just kind of CHILLS you out completely-- THE best coping skill I've found (I'm a therapist) as far as sheer physiology. Buying the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook might benefit you-- it's full of great stuff, you can do it by yourself or with your BF/therapist or even on your own, it's a cornucopia of excellent tools for anxiety. You can get it used fairly cheaply. I use these skills often.

If you want more info on meds or coping skills, I'd check out site crazyboards.org, they will educate you as a consumer as far as what might help you stabilize your meds, while you quit, and how to talk to your doc about it.

And finally, don't give up! I'm actually really excited with my morning progress. Be gentle to yourself and good luck! Finding the right e-cig for you will really give you a leg up and this site for sure did that!

Take care,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you. Yes, my mom and sister agree, I shouldn't compare my ability to cut down or quit to anyone else. I guess I just expected it to be a lot easier than it is. And now knowing how hard it actually is really scares me. But I will try to stop focusing on how well my bf is doing, that's been really throwing me off too.

When Quitting Smoking, it Isn't how many Cigarettes you smoke that is important. No... It's How Many you Don't Smoke that Matters.

I think you are Going Great. And the Key is to just Focus on Today. Not about anyone else and Not about Tomorrow. Just stay in Today.

I posted this a second ago in a Another Thread...

NO! You Do Have The Will Power. And you CAN Quit Smoking.

Go into the Bathroom, look in the Mirror, and in a Loud Voice say... "I Can Do it. I'm Going to Beat this!"

When I quit, I used 2 set-ups. One Atomizer had my Day to Day e-Liquid in it. And the other had an e-Liquid that was at a Higher mg/ml level.

When the Cravings would Hit, and I felt like I was going to Cave In, I would switch to the Higher Nicotine Level. Sometimes it only took a Hit or Two for the Craving to pass. Sometimes it would take 5 Minutes. But the Craving would pass. And I would then Switch back to my Lower Nicotine Level.

You Need 2 Complete e-Cigarette Set-Ups anyway. Because if something happens to you e-Cigarette and it Doesn't Work, you Have To Have A Backup. So you might as well Load Up your 2nd e-Cigarette with some Higher Nicotine for when things seem dark.

Drink a Lot of Water. Get a little More Exercise than you Normally do like talking a short Walk at Lunch or after Dinner. Chew Gum. Have Snacks handy. And get rid of things that went with Smoking like Ashtrays or Matches/Lighters.

You can Make it. And it might be Rough at Times. But you Can Make It.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
You don't say whether you actually like your set up, but I am getting the impression you don't. If you don't really enjoy your device and/or juice, you will be less likely to turn to it when the cravings happen.

I'm also inclined to think that you need more nicotine, but not delivered with a sub-ohm device.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I went for 2.5 PAD to zero in 3 days with the vape. My ex G/F, it took her a month or so to slowly cut back to zero. I think we've both had a couple puffs on a cig since then, not the whole thing. Doesn't matter, it's NASTY. Just keep with it, maybe vape more, more power, more clouds. I like that I can vape inside the house, or in bed. Fall asleep with it, etc. No smell, no worries.

Marc_G

May 30, 2017
Keep it up! You are not alone in the fight to quit.. there are a lot of us! I have been searching for things to distract me when I am craving a cig.. So far fidget spinner works for a bit, puzzles have also helped for longer periods of time. I also put my pack of cigs in spots that are hard to get to, I take 1 out when I really need it and put it back in the spot. That extra little difficulty of getting a cig out makes it easier to convince myself of not needing one at times. Good luck!

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
Do like me, twisted my ankle, so I tricked my brain to think there was no pain in my ankle but slamming my hand in the car door. Now my ankle doesn't hurt.
(I do not recommend doing the above, it was a learning curve for me. It contains no nicotine or batteries and you must be of legal age in your respective state to purchase)[emoji3]

Lolol! That reminds me of a story about a local naturopath who, when a friend of a friend went complaining of back pain, this was in the late 70's. The naturopath hit him in the solar plexus with a 2x4 and asked if his back was still hurt. Apparently he charged my friend's friend $100 for it too! I would say it's not true, but my mom actually used to take us to this same doctor when we were kids, she only stopped after my brother almost died because he had ruptured his spleen and the naturopath told us he only had a stomach ache and to have him rest in bed.

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
Hi Davs
What worked for me was to not deny myself a cig but rather allow myself to have one but only after I vaped a bit. The vape was 18mg nic which was harsh and made me cough but what it did good for me was turn me off having that cig. The vaping took me to a point of a having a pain start in my head, like the start of a headache, which not only tells me I've had enough nic but makes the thought of smoking a cig very unappealing. Kinda of like chain smoking 3 cigs in a row. After being off cigs a couple of weeks I cut the nic down in my vape juice.
Maybe that would work for you but whatever route you use good luck with it.
I think you're right. I was vaping 24mg nicotine juice and was smoking way less, but it made me cough so hard that I bought 6mg juice. Now I can vape without coughing, but it's doing nothing to curb my cig cravings. I think I will go back to the high nic for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread