Need some advice on funky taste with replaced coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Just did my first dry burn.

waow; that was somethign th watch;

when it first started glowing reddish i got worried but i guess now that it was a good thing.

the coil is definitely underneath the main big wick that i can see on the top ; a lot of thick heavy smoke came out when it started coming out, and the SMELL WAS DEFINITELY the smell / taste that I've been geting sometimes like aburrnt something; so it seems the burnt taste is coming from the wick. probably some cheap polyester/cotton mix and the dryburn is probably vaporising the polyester. this stuff from the wick just CANNOT be good; just the sort of thing I was worried about; The AMOUNT of toxic fumes that came out of that wick was most worrisome;;

oh - yeah this is a new atomiser; just put in last night; so yeah i'd recommend people try dry burning new atomisers just to make sure theres not some cheap wick in there thats going to smoke out toxic fumes.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I doubt very much if any manufacturer uses polyester for a wick. As I said on a previous post, take a lighter and try to burn it - it won't burn if it's silica.
I also doubt they are using cotton - cotton will just burn up in a heartbeat with no liquid on it.
Even coil heads from the cheapest place in China are almost always silica.

Now that's not to say that some silica that is being used has a strange bad flavor - but you can boil, clean, soak in alcohol and usually remove it. You shouldn't have to I agree.

If you see smoke coming from a new coil, the chances are it is some residual machining oil or manufacturing residue left over - which is why I always, always thoroughly clean any new clearomizer (or new coil head) before use.

Where are you purchasing your coil heads from and coil heads for which clearomizer are we discussing here?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I doubt very much if any manufacturer uses polyester for a wick. As I said on a previous post, take a lighter and try to burn it - it won't burn if it's silica.
I also doubt they are using cotton - cotton will just burn up in a heartbeat with no liquid on it.
Even coil heads from the cheapest place in China are almost always silica.

Now that's not to say that some silica that is being used has a strange bad flavor - but you can boil, clean, soak in alcohol and usually remove it. You shouldn't have to I agree.

If you see smoke coming from a new coil, the chances are it is some residual machining oil or manufacturing residue left over - which is why I always, always thoroughly clean any new clearomizer (or new coil head) before use.

Where are you purchasing your coil heads from and coil heads for which clearomizer are we discussing here?

I dont know where in the world they are originating from; I got some from one guy who sells protanks, and some from another guy who sells egos and vapes.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ah I see. I wouldn't worry too much about them not being silica to be honest, but like I said previously, I would give them a soak in vodka or everclear or something before use - just to remove any funky taste / residue on them before use.

i'd hate to waste good rum :)
but come to think of it I could use one of those small 10ml eliquid bottles to keep some rum in for soaking coils; i'll try that thanks.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
I keep reading that everywhere and wondering why.

In the primer you'll see I say it's possible to skip the drying stage, but that you run the risk of other problems, such as a dry burn on a long wick not working completely well. Also when putting juice into a tank with a wick that is wet with water, you will have to vape that out of the wick before you get any flavour or nicotine. Not a disaster, just a minor inconvenience. Drying the wicks eliminates variable that can cause you some problems, that's all. If you only have one wick and you need it *now* then obviously drying time is not an option. Once you get into the swing of things you do the cleaning in batches once a month and drying time is not an issue at all. I usually have half a dozen or more heads on rotation - once most of them are used I will pop them in a pan of water on the stove and boil the juice out of them, ready to start all over again.

I have a suspicion that its not good to leave the coil in water for to long because the coil might rust or something. I'd left a coil in water for a long time; every now and then I would throw out the water and pour in some hot water to let it soak in hot water; but last night when i went fiddling around with it, it was dead; checked it with a multi.

Theoretically it is possible for a coil to develop surface rust, since it contains iron. I've never had an issue though, and it's unlikely to contribute to the coil going open circuit in the short term. What does happen though, is that the contact between the coil wire and the center pin or body of the head becomes high resistance. It's fixable but more fiddly that most people want to deal with - replace the head.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
i'd hate to waste good rum :)
but come to think of it I could use one of those small 10ml eliquid bottles to keep some rum in for soaking coils; i'll try that thanks.

Rum wouldn't be the best choice for cleaning your coils. A pure grain alcohol with no flavor will do a better job, like vodka or everclear. The purer the grain alcohol, the better since it won't leave behind any residual flavor. But in a pinch, rum would probably work for you since apparently you like the taste of rum. ;)

stylezuk

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Someone mentioned in a prior thread white vinegar be cheaper than any of these alcohol substances.

Re: Bad Taste

Had bad case of Vapour tongue this morning none of my liquids tasted nice needed to eat and drink before anything was tasting as should just goes to show that sometimes coils and tanks have nout to do with it..

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Rum wouldn't be the best choice for cleaning your coils. A pure grain alcohol with no flavor will do a better job, like vodka or everclear. The purer the grain alcohol, the better since it won't leave behind any residual flavor. But in a pinch, rum would probably work for you since apparently you like the taste of rum. ;)

A little rum taste is better than a burn or toxic taste for my case. To me , so far it's not like vaping has reached anywhere like a good taste; at best its a matter of what taste is least intolerable.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
A little rum taste is better than a burn or toxic taste for my case. To me , so far it's not like vaping has reached anywhere like a good taste; at best its a matter of what taste is least intolerable.

If that's the case, then you're probably running into one of two problems.

First, you might not be using the right juice for you.

I'd invite you to try vendors with really cheap samples, like EC Blends. You can get a 5ml bottle for $2.50. Just go through their HUGELY FREAKING HUGE list of flavors, see if anything sounds good to you, and try it out. Also mix up the blends. Try a high PG juice and see if the flavor and throat hit is better for you, and if you've recently quit smoking or haven't quit yet, try a higher nicotine like 1.8% or higher. If the PG is too harsh for you, then try a higher VG blend. It'll mute the flavor a little, and make it sweeter, but it produces a lot more vapor.

Also look into trying juice from different vendors. I love EC Blends (their RY4 is my current ADV), but I ordered a custom juice with blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and strawberry from them about a month ago, and no matter what I vape it in, it just tastes burnt. I suspect it's the raspberry, since it also tastes burnt on a straight raspberry juice I got from them. Yet raspberry from other vendors is delicious.

Also, check your medium, that being the carto/clearo/atty/tank/etc. that you are using to vape. Is it old? Is it new? Did you clean it right? Were the coils fully saturated when you first used it? It's not hard to burn some cartos and clearos if you didn't give it time to saturate before you vaped. If the first hit you got off of a new medium was a dry hit, then something very bad may have happened: IE burning the wicks. Everything you try after that will also taste burnt. Try a new, fresh carto/etc. and give it time to let the juice soak in. Your opinion may change.

Sorry if this went off topic but I don't want anybody to have a bad experience vaping. I believe the right combination for EVERYONE is out there. You just have to have the patience to find it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
If that's the case, then you're probably running into one of two problems.

First, you might not be using the right juice for you.

I'd invite you to try vendors with really cheap samples, like EC Blends. You can get a 5ml bottle for $2.50. Just go through their HUGELY FREAKING HUGE list of flavors, see if anything sounds good to you, and try it out. Also mix up the blends. Try a high PG juice and see if the flavor and throat hit is better for you, and if you've recently quit smoking or haven't quit yet, try a higher nicotine like 1.8% or higher. If the PG is too harsh for you, then try a higher VG blend. It'll mute the flavor a little, and make it sweeter, but it produces a lot more vapor.

Also look into trying juice from different vendors. I love EC Blends (their RY4 is my current ADV), but I ordered a custom juice with blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and strawberry from them about a month ago, and no matter what I vape it in, it just tastes burnt. I suspect it's the raspberry, since it also tastes burnt on a straight raspberry juice I got from them. Yet raspberry from other vendors is delicious.

Also, check your medium, that being the carto/clearo/atty/tank/etc. that you are using to vape. Is it old? Is it new? Did you clean it right? Were the coils fully saturated when you first used it? It's not hard to burn some cartos and clearos if you didn't give it time to saturate before you vaped. If the first hit you got off of a new medium was a dry hit, then something very bad may have happened: IE burning the wicks. Everything you try after that will also taste burnt. Try a new, fresh carto/etc. and give it time to let the juice soak in. Your opinion may change.

Sorry if this went off topic but I don't want anybody to have a bad experience vaping. I believe the right combination for EVERYONE is out there. You just have to have the patience to find it.

Yep finding a good juice is certainly a problem, and I don't have a wide range of options in my country, aside from the cost factor; most of the ejuices I have bought are hardly used.

I've been trending towards making my own mix of VG + water. No nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread