Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
The only RTAs I've used as of late are the Kayfun Mini v4 but I think I wanna try something different. I've never been very good at building and usually find it a bit of a hassle, but since I am a light vaper, I don't find that I have to do it very often and I don't really mind rewicking. I was interested in the Theorem since it has that Notch coil which looks like I can reuse it for a long time and just rewick when needed, but I've heard conflicting reports on how good that coil is. I'm not a cloud chaser and prefer vaping MTL and require a little throat hit and not really up to date on whats good these days. I'm tempted to get the Serpent Mini since I've heard nothing but good things about it and it seems fairly easy to build but before I make the plunge, I wanna make sure I get the best MTL tank to suit my style of vaping. Looking for something around or under the $30 range.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Kayfun is my favorite tank for good flavor and easy builds in a single coil style. I have 6 or 7 Kayfuns for daily use and backup for the FDA debacle. I tend to tire of heavy flavor in juices anyway, so KF is a good all around choice for me.

Squape (r) is my best flavor tank, but it's tall and bulkier than Kayfun, IMO.

There are still a lot of tanks I haven't tried in over 6 years of vaping, so I'm still looking.

Reactions: BuGlen

sketch804

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Merlin all the way. It's the best tank for people just getting into building because the deck is very open and wicking is pretty forgiving. Been my daily driver for a while now. I have the serpent mini and it's a fantastic rta, though I've had better luck with the merlin, but that's just me. Both have amazing flavor. Good luck to you. Just try a few, unfortunately that's the only way.

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Is the Merlin suitable for MTL hits? I've also been eying the Ultimo as I wanna try one of these ceramic coil tanks, plus it has a RBA section.
    Comes with a little MTL screw.

13140775_10154115624847346_1721691084_n__66567.1462417584.1280.1280.jpg

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    The only RTAs I've used as of late are the Kayfun Mini v4 but I think I wanna try something different. I've never been very good at building and usually find it a bit of a hassle, but since I am a light vaper, I don't find that I have to do it very often and I don't really mind rewicking. I was interested in the Theorem since it has that Notch coil which looks like I can reuse it for a long time and just rewick when needed, but I've heard conflicting reports on how good that coil is. I'm not a cloud chaser and prefer vaping MTL and require a little throat hit and not really up to date on whats good these days. I'm tempted to get the Serpent Mini since I've heard nothing but good things about it and it seems fairly easy to build but before I make the plunge, I wanna make sure I get the best MTL tank to suit my style of vaping. Looking for something around or under the $30 range.

Well the serpent mini is $18 if you can wait 9'days to have it shipped. That might leave you money to try something else. In another few weeks.

The goblin mini 3 should be great and to me looks better than the serpent mini.

I vape like you. Don't listen to anyone who suggests a tank that's "sub ohm but you can close the air down how you like it" as that sentiment means they have no clue about what makes or breaks good flavor mtl atomizers.

you want first party Chinese or clone or ?

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    GG Tilemahos v2 +(Springomizer); there is a spring system for a coil; so there are no leads on the Coil at all to concern yourself with. Just make the Spring long enough to stretch across the Build deck and your set. Well you still have to Wick it

I disagree about it being s good flavor tank. I found the flavor flat out awful the couple months I borrowed one. And the soringomkzer. I don't k ow it's that much easier than just making s coil.

If there weren't so many fidgeting ninnies on YouTube making nothing but contact coils and futzing about with whisk for 38 mins in elaborate snipping sprees or uselessness beginning vapors would have it easier. The super fan builders make it seem like an art and the truth is. Wrap a spaced coil. Insert it. The spacing can be off. Throw some cotton through it. Learn the pancake wicking method. Done for 95% of rta

Once you accept spaced coils are better in almost every application building a coil take about the same time as opening a pack of springs especially when you have to muck about with getting the springomizer to bite the thought number of coils down

I believe this is all moot though as the budget was $30. Though coppervape / shenray has a clone they call tile mayos plus with the new chimney and springomizer. .

I k ow some peop,e swear by this tank. I can only say in my couple months borrowing one I found it a pain to wick. Flavorless on a good day (tasted awful on a bad) and throat his was absurd. 3mg felt like 24. I'm all for throat hit but it was like vaping Forrest fire

Heh

Sorry to disagree with you. But it makes the Internet go,round. And fwiw anyone trying it may well feel as you do. Or I do. Who knows.

Good thought though but fir the budget.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have a box full of various RTA's. Some are good and some aren't. Kayfun is just really familiar to me after years of use. It's easy to coil, easy to wick, and predictable in flavor. Sometimes, I wish that the air flow screw on the V2's and 3.1's actually did something, but they all approximate the draw of a cigarette. That, and flavor are what tootle puffers are looking for.

I recently stocked up on Kayfun Lite V2 and Kayfun 3.1 at ridiculous prices. I bought some for $4.95 after buying others for $9.95. Either price is a steal for a dependable tank atomizer.

Flavor is as juice dependent as it is atomizer dependent. I vape one of the least flavorful juices (Hangsen tobacco) that there is. I still get what I consider good flavor and when I want more I just add a drop of Flavorart Desert Ship to a tank.

The best way to ensure good flavor is to replace the wick every few days and replace the coil when it loses the original shine (alumina coating) after a dry burn. After all, most tanks are so similar that it's mostly about airflow and chamber design. The rest is pretty much standard. Yes, there are good and bad tanks, but once you wash out the metallic taste of a new tank they tend to be similar.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    kanger subtank mini's rba is easy to build and pretty much leak-proof.

I appreciate the bought but rmreakisticallh The kanger subtank is awful for mtl vaping. Sorry. It's just not good at all. Neither rba or the mtl coils are even acceptable to me. The chimney is too wide. The air intake is way too big. He coil
    Positioning is wrong.

Ou wind up with little to no vapor production or scorching hot uncomfortable vape if you turn it up for lore volume. And density is really bad too.

It's ok for lung hits. When you build it (the coils spit juice like crazy) but it's exactly what I means when I said don't get a sub tank and close the air down.

For mtl tanks you want no more than 2mm air below the coil. And the chimney Ned's to be as small As possible.

As a rule of thumb if it comes with s drip tip bigger than a cigarette it's not going to work well for mtl. Inner bite of the drip tip should be 3.5-5 mm and 5 is getting too big.

Some tanks can be "fixed " by inserting ptfe tubing below the coil in the air exit to
    Reduce the air at that point. But with so many good choices out there. I wouldn't bother trying to turn a horse into a car.

Taifun gt2 hit it clone is considered the holy grail. I is the authentic and it's great. Hurricane clone works but brines well as the Taifun. Plus Chinese brass color could be toxic.

There are ver few first Party or authentic Chinese tanks (not clones) that are suited to mtl. It's why most of us who want to rebuild wind up getting something fromeurope.

Right now
    One kf the best devices gong is the by-KA v6. You customize it. And it's not expensive for an authentic. Under $100. You choose deck type. Max Air flow tank size. And appearance. Irder the kit.

@qorax has a video on it. It's one of the least expensive authentic European flavor chasing mtl devices.

Fasttexh also has a pico clone for $11 that's almost 1:1.

Given the budget kf the original
    Post along with other factors stated My recommendation would be to
    Get s joytech tank tat takes clr coils. Ego one megs. Tron Etc. the cl coils are awful. The tanks work well for restricted lung or mtl. The clr coils are only $8-9 a pack and are made to be rebuilt. So you have the coincidence of changeable coils but the cost of rebuilding. Given the coil
    Is basically a tiny rba the flavor produced and density are outstanding.

Ok can get an ego megs tank for $10. Two packs of clr coils, wire, wick, and a winding rid
    for about $20.

For reference everything I own is mtl. And most are rebuild able. I've searched for the perfect rank
    For a few years. There ain't one but I keep trying. Fkr the budget. You can't beat the megs tank and clr coils. The rebuild able clr coils are so good notifies design tanks around them. And they're so way to rebuild I watch tv and bang out five in ten mins jf that.

My second vote is ehpro kayfun lite. It's compatible with all
    Kayfun parts and has the benefit
    Of two air holes which the original
    Sorely needed. It's the only time
    I've seen a clone that's better than the original.

They're disappearing from shelves now. They're $20. Flavor is great. Airflow is good. Rebuild is as easy as it gets. Materials used seem
    Good and it's inexpensive. I think he clr based system is better as they vape
    Similarly and the clr gives you convenience since you can have a bunch ready to go and build when you truly have time. In he time
    It takes to
    Rewick a kayfun you can swap
    The clr coil ten times.

I'm it trying to disagree. The kayfuns are great. I just think for new to rebuilding the convenience of making your own cartridges to replace will ease you I better. You can't go wrong with w kayfun unless you buy the worlds cheapest clone.

Make sure you get a reputable brand of clone. lol oxymoron. People that truly use peek and delrin and proper grade steel. For kayfun lite I don't think there's better than the ehpro. But consider the clr systems.

I can send you s tank that takes clr coils (it has cosmetic damage - they replaced it for me ) and a coil Or two if you PM me. Then you can try it out without spending money. if you love it you can decide which form factor you want. Small and light with less capacity. Or bigger and heavier. And of course you can keep the tank I send if you aren't bothered by some paint scratched off. I never ended up using it. I'd bought three on clearance. All three had he issue and all three were replaced. Im overflowing with them and would love to Send one out to s good home and help you sample something.

It took me years to find great tanks. And I wasted a ton of money. Most Clones of small
    Production boutique devices are garbage interpretations. The cloud one clone is good s lot of good kayfun. Taifun gt from
    Hotsig everyone loves but j had issues so I bought an authentic.

Sorry for the information overload and ramble. I'm very passionate about good mtl tanks. And helping People find one since I'm against the big Chinese companies for the most part. They take a ton and contribute nothing back to the USA. So I don't want People pouring hundreds Into their pockets in coils.

Funnily I still think this is the best clr tank. The whole kit was $45

913d50438e2d1b8152dfd3fa63c70e55.jpg

It produces a nice sense vape and voluminous eh oh can be changed with power.

So a little or a lot.

d71ecf79f5a50b423b63bb0d05f1c09f.jpg

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    Man hat was long and poorly organized. Sorry. I hope some of it was helpful. You're getting some good thoughts in here. I just spent an obscene amount trying to find the right gear. From $20 to $400

Any of the following authentic second hand (if you can stretch the budget you can probably find a good deal ) would be a good buy and attainable and if you don't like it you cs. Resell for sround what you paid. Which ends up costing less than disposable $30-50 tanks with no resale.

Gus Phenomenon lite
    Taifun gt2
    GP heron 2
    Go soheroid 4
    Mark bugs gem
    Kayfun mini v3
    By-KA v6
    Calix v2
    Cloud one v1 (this should be much cheaper now v2 is out)
    Mark bugs gem v1
    Kayfun v4 (much cheaper now the 5 is out - you don't want the 5 clone as there's no cloned mtl kit yet)

For new Chinese less expensive

Goblin mini v3
    Eh pro kayfun lite
    Joytech mega tank (clr coils only. Cl suck and can't be rebuild)

I'll edit this post as I recall others.

@DaveP had some
    Good thoughts. I'd just caution you in super cheap clones. You don't want to
    Vape tanks that use unknown adhesives or plastics filled with bpa and who knows what else. Nor do you want pig steel screws that rust or are coated with strange coatings and not heat resistant. Also avoid painted internals. And don't go with fake ceramic or delrin Etc. as mentioned previously the Chinese gold and brass and what not isn't safe. Brass shouldn't contact nixie anyway met alone fake brass

So try and pay attention to
    Materials. I got some kayfun lite repair kits and everything is so cheap it's unusable. Some clear plastic insulators and cheap polycarbonate tanks. Be ware that stuff. Along with cheap wire. If the wire leaves dark marks on your hands you shouldn't be vaping it without washing it. Dirty wire may not even leave a mark. If you're getting headaches or weird flavors probably something isn't clean.

Lightening vapes sells super clean wire cheaply.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    @DaveP had some
    Good thoughts. I'd just caution you in super cheap clones. You don't want to
    Vape tanks that use unknown adhesives or plastics filled with bpa and who knows what else. Nor do you want pig steel screws that rust or are coated with strange coatings and not heat resistant. Also avoid painted internals. And don't go with fake ceramic or delrin Etc. as mentioned previously the Chinese gold and brass and what not isn't safe. Brass shouldn't contact nixie anyway met alone fake brass

All good advice. I like Tobeco and EHPro for my Kayfun clones. There's also SMJY (sp ? ) that gets good marks. The two I mentioned use good SS for all parts and I have no problems with screw or other parts quality in those. I have about 15 RTA's from the two that are nicely machined and use glass or Polycarbonate clear sections. There's no way to determine if plastics are free of questionable additives, but mine are nice and clear after contact with juice for years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread