Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I concur. There are much easier things to use around. There was no point in history where people started on mechs. They have always been an advanced device.

If this is something you are just GOING to do though, you can stay safe(ish) by buying premade coils at a vape shop of over one ohm. ( We'll leave sub ohm for later) getting some genuine vtc5 batteries and never leaving the thing in your pocket.

Gawain

Sep 25, 2017
I concur. There are much easier things to use around. There was no point in history where people started on mechs. They have always been an advanced device.

If this is something you are just GOING to do though, you can stay safe(ish) by buying premade coils at a vape shop of over one ohm. ( We'll leave sub ohm for later) getting some genuine vtc5 batteries and never leaving the thing in your pocket.
Ahh. I thought the one I was getting wasn’t a mech mod lol. Do most shops accept tradin in mech mods and what not or would I have to buy a whole new one

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Sir Lancelot Clone - Copper | Vape Supplies | Vapin in the Cape

That is a mechanical mod. Straight draw of power off battery, no built in protection.

sir-lancelot-mod-600x600.jpg

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I strongly agree with everyone who's suggested starting with a regulated mod. If you do decide to use a mech mod (now or later), you'll need to know about:
  • Ohm's law - how to calculate your draw on the battery
  • Battery choices - which brands are rewraps, which are reliable, which vendors are less likely to sell counterfeits, which CDRs you can trust and the difference between true CDR and pulse ratings
  • Battery safety - how to handle batteries, what sort of issues require immediate replacement, what indicates declining performance
You'll also need to get an ohmmeter, but it sounds like you'd be better off spending that money on a regulated mod. Good luck with the exchange!

Gawain

Sep 25, 2017
I strongly agree with everyone who's suggested starting with a regulated mod. If you do decide to use a mech mod (now or later), you'll need to know about:
  • Ohm's law - how to calculate your draw on the battery
  • Battery choices - which brands are rewraps, which are reliable, which vendors are less likely to sell counterfeits, which CDRs you can trust and the difference between true CDR and pulse ratings
  • Battery safety - how to handle batteries, what sort of issues require immediate replacement, what indicates declining performance
You'll also need to get an ohmmeter, but it sounds like you'd be better off spending that money on a regulated mod. Good luck with the exchange!
Thanks aha! Know of any good starter kits or box mods (I’ve used the tube style before and I believe it was a kangertech). Preferably something not super expensive

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You can get decent kits for cheap from china if you are willing to wait around 3 weeks to get it.

Here is a fairly decent regulated device that is straight up fill it up and vape. It has a built in battery comes with tank and a couple coils. Around $14 shipped. It produces a decent mouth to lung vape. It does not have variable wattage or any frills. So depends on what you want how much you want to spend.
silver joyetech ego one ct xl kit (2200mah)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
For starters, do you know if you want MTL or DTL? Would you like to start with something simple that doesn't have a lot of settings, or do you want variable wattage and/or temperature control? Oh, and are you familiar with those terms yet, or might an explanation be helpful?

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
:danger:
I vaped for 2 years before I got my first mech mod... and before I bought it I spent close to 2 months researching different ones, completely understanding Ohms Law ( back and forth) and then studying the correct batteries to use and even more importantly a reputable place to buy them so they were not clones.... this is not something to mess with..

Get yourself a starter kit that is a regulated mod..

Honestly smoking cigarettes is safer for you now than using that Mech until you get a safe regulated starter kit.

:danger:

Not trying to be harsh, but safe......any help on suggestions on a safe kit to start on I am glad to help. Ask here. There are many experienced people here on this forum to help or PM me if you want....

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Since i lack precision about what you know about the vaping world i'll just add my :2c:

If you start with a sub 0hm device (or any device bought from a vape shop),don't get a smok product for a first vape,there's lots of people here that have been sold these as "starter devices" which they're not, they are all what we call sub 0hm (most of em are at least). Smok's mods (aka the battery under the tank itself) i won't say anything since i don't own one,but i do own a big baby beast tank from them,and lots of others have similar of not the same and there's always one or multiple issues with those. If you do wanna get a smok tank,get the rebuildable base for it but wait until you're okay enough to get into building yourself,i for one used both included coils and never bought some again,i've been using the rba base included in the tank's packaging with mixed results.

Then again that's my own experiences and what i've noticed around the forums (even lately there's been multiple threads about smok related issues look around you'll see). Experiences may differ,and you might like them more than i do so who knows,i still don't suggest you buy any tank from them.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ahh. I thought the one I was getting wasn’t a mech mod lol. Do most shops accept tradin in mech mods and what not or would I have to buy a whole new one
Mechs are still used but they're a niche market, and only the genuine ones are worth anything. I'd say you have to buy a new one unless you run into some weird trade in special. It's worth keeping though. After you get some experience you might find you really like mechs.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Add me to the chorus. If and when you want to try mech mods I am only one of the many people here who know how and will be happy to teach you. But mechs are dangerous to novices; there is a learning curve and I would much rather move you down it a bit before we begin. I am at a loss to recommend a good starter regulated mod for you as I don't know anything about how you wish to vape. Give us a bit more info and we'll be happy to jump in and help out. Welcome to the board.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
What are those?
MTL is an acronym meaning Mouth to Lung, pulling the vapor into your mouth and then inhaling it, as one would smoke a cigarette. DTL or DL means Direct to Lung or Direct Lung, that is inhaling the vapor from the mod directly into the lungs without the intervening steps. Different equipment is recommended for these regimes. Most of the ones doing both don't do either really well. The one I recommend for those who don't know what they want is the Kanger Sub/Top box kit as the tank involved has a wide variety of coils available, plus an RBA (rebuildable atomizer) adapter if you want to try building your own coils (which is, BTW, something you will need to know as mech user). But I only recommend it as a starter. Better gear is available in both regimes, and for not much if any more money.

Gawain

Sep 25, 2017
Add me to the chorus. If and when you want to try mech mods I am only one of the many people here who know how and will be happy to teach you. But mechs are dangerous to novices; there is a learning curve and I would much rather move you down it a bit before we begin. I am at a loss to recommend a good starter regulated mod for you as I don't know anything about how you wish to vape. Give us a bit more info and we'll be happy to jump in and help out. Welcome to the board.
Well I do like box mods (used them before but they were friends) and it’d be nice if I could change the tips. The one on my mech is designed by vapergatw and has a SS#303 on it

Gawain

Sep 25, 2017
MTL is an acronym meaning Mouth to Lung, pulling the vapor into your mouth and then inhaling it, as one would smoke a cigarette. DTL or DL means Direct to Lung or Direct Lung, that is inhaling the vapor from the mod directly into the lungs without the intervening steps. Different equipment is recommended for these regimes. Most of the ones doing both don't do either really well. The one I recommend for those who don't know what they want is the Kanger Sub/Top box kit as the tank involved has a wide variety of coils available, plus an RBA (rebuildable atomizer) adapter if you want to try building your own coils (which is, BTW, something you will need to know as mech user). But I only recommend it as a starter. Better gear is available in both regimes, and for not much if any more money.
Can you link me that starter kit?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Well I do like box mods (used them before but they were friends) and it’d be nice if I could change the tips. The one on my mech is designed by vapergatw and has a SS#303 on it
Changing the tips is usually easy most toppers are designed to do so. You haven't given me enough info to place what you have. Can you take a pic?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
What are those?

I'd add that MTL has a tighter draw - meaning you have to suck harder. It's more like a cigarette and is often preferred by people trying to quit smoking. DL is looser or airier. It tends to involve more vapour and is preferred by people who like big clouds.

Variable wattage just means you can adjust the power. Increase it to make the vape hotter, decrease it to make it cooler.

Temperature control (TC) is a bit more complicated and probably isn't what you're looking for just now, although if you get a standard mod it will probably be capable of it in case you want to try it out later. With TC, you set the temperature you want to vape at and the mod automatically adjusts the power to keep the coil at that temperature. It can only be used with certain coils.

Reactions: suprtrkr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread