New and naive. Harshness question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I'm brand new to vaping and know almost nothing. I was about a pack a day smoker and decided to get a vape pen in order to cut back on real cigs. My main problem is I don't always get the harshness feeling in my chest when I take a hit. I will get it one time and get almost nothing the next. It's very inconsistent. I want this feeling and it's making me go back to cigs since I'm not always getting it. Is there something I can do to consistently get the similar feeling in my chest as I get with an actual cig? I'm currently using Vapage Vpro 650 with 24mg e-liquid thanks in advance for any help.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Hi esumner04 =)

Would you tell me what the ratio of PG.VG is in your juice? The higher the PG the bigger the throat hit in the vape....I started at 70pg/30vg and 18mg. The longer I vape the less I want that but it helped to start with. I am now at 50/50 and 12mg. I am more into the flavor than the sensation at this point.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf esumner05. Nice to meet you and so glad that you are here. I am so sorry you are having issues. I have never read where anyone had problems with this one and they have good products. The pg in a liquid carries the most flavor. The vg is where you get the "clouds". Your throat hit comes from the amount of nic in your juice. At 24mg (which is what I vape) you definitely should be experience adequate throat hit.

It just sounds like there is something not making contact right. If there is a screw on the bottom of the atomizer (I am not sure which one it has) but if you could adjust it a little to see if you can get better contact with the battery. Also have you taken an alcohol swab and cleaned the top of the battery. If it is gunked, that would cause an issue also.

I am sorry I cannot help but I am sure someone who knows for sure will come along and help. I sure hope this is resolved. There is no reason to go back to cigarettes. But this is the reason people must have plenty of backups. Just my 3¢ (inflation)

Good luck to you.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
The best thing that you could do to be certain that you will get more TH is to get a VV/VW vaping device.That will enable you to adjust the strength of your vape instead of being as limited as you are right now The battery in the ecig that you are using now drains very quickly as you use it. Your first draw will be the strongest and the strength will fall from there.

There are many inexpensive devices out there to choose from and I feel sure that you could easily find one to suit your needs. JMHO

Good luck to you :)

ETA- VV= variable voltage
VW= variable wattage

If you like the style that you are using now, look into a SmokTech Winder. Here is an example

http://perfectvape.com/smoktech-winder-vv-1300mah/

ETA- I started out with mini ecigs and 36 mg juice 80% PG. VV and being able to get a more powerful lung hit was what kept me off the cigs. If it had not been for that, not sure that I would have stayed with vaping.

I tried all sorts of things that others suggested. Even adding a few drops of vodka to my juice. More power is what did the trick for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: katemcg

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the best thing to do is realize that vaping isnt like smoking.... its a totally different thing.... its close but no where near close to what people expect when making the transition from smoking to vaping....

to get close to a smoking experience.... go with a higher PG ratio, bump up the nic if you can handle it, and consider doing a flavor that is more like tobacco ( Heathers Heavenly Vapes has one called Pirates Booty... my favorite)

Reactions: jrlakeman

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Hey Rat2 :)...The OP is already at 24mg nic. I am suggesting that PG which does produce more TH than VG would be a viable try without adding too much nic....Here is a non-ECF Resource that states what I was referring to....PG vs. VG-based E-Liquid Mixtures - Perfecting Throat Hit, Consistency, and Vapor Production

I have experienced the above when I change my pg/vg levels at the same nicotine strength.

Hey there. Yes I know the op was at 24mg like me. I did not say that pg did not carry TH but I still feel as though nic plays the biggest role in TH. It also depends on the juice and what the base of the flavorings are. A flavoring that is in a alcohol base imo will add to the throat hit where as a flavoring in a pg base does not seem to. On juices that I am not getting enough throat hit, I will add a drop or 2 of Everclear to my 6ml bottle and is helps tremendously. I have also added peach flavored Vodka and done the same thing. I make my menthol with 50/50 crystals and Everclear and and use it as an additive to a juice the same way in my 6ml bottle. The alcohol just adds TH for me. (gosh I hope nobody thinks I'm an alcoholic lol) I have played around with percentages a lot trying to find what I like best. Most of my opinions come from vaping unflavored. I have also changed the same recipes I have been using for a year and half and increased the nic and there is a noticeable increase in throat hit for me. PG is also the primary ingredient in inhalers. I never noticed much throat hit when I was using them. Thank goodness vaping took care of that issue.

I guess all I am trying to say is if I am vaping 0 nic juice, I will get more throat hit with a higher pg percentage. But if I add nic to the equation. . . higher nic equals increased throat hit for me. I suppose it is the peppery taste that I like as well as the throat hit. Most people around here know so much more than I do and I am always trying to learn more. These are just based on my experimentation and of course my own crazy taste buds. (their just like me)
girl_wacko.gif

ChristianProgrammer

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2015
USA Milwaukee
WOW 24nic your really really a smoker.....
I'm a noob but I haven't wanted a cigar in weeks now .......and I INHALED those cigars dude....

All the above is great advise the best being a VV/VW mod that will give you the "hot" hit your looking for-- consistently

If your having these problems already I question the validity of your rig/setup..
The goal here would be going down in nic content I would guess over time.....but for now
your looking to 'emulate' the real thing so you need a harsher hit...(at least for now)
do more research and review the above suggestions in detail.

don't give up what your looking for is obtainable ... anything worthwhile require some effort

SouthMark40

Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Hampshire
As the OP stated there are a couple of things that give throat hit

1. The PG to VG ratio - the higher the PG in the eliquid the more throat hit
2. Device - most startup pen devices will only have a theoretical maximum of putting out (with a full charge) 4.2v
3. Device - vv/vw can go upto higher amounts of power increasing the power will again increase the throat hit but be careful and do your research
4. The Atomizer coil - this is measured in ohms ie 1.8ohm having a lower resistance may also help with throat hit but do not attempt lower than 1.2ohm without thorough research this can be dangerous if you don't fully understand it

I would suggest getting a VV/VW device and a tank with a lower resistance say 1.4 - 1.6 and increase the wattage/volts to find what works best for you, alternatively if you have a local shop pop in and see them also

Thanks

Mark

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Sorry I had to make a correction to the following post

the best thing to do is realize that vaping isnt like smoking.... its a totally different thing.... its close but no where near close to what people expect when making the transition from smoking to vaping....

to get close to a smoking experience.... go with a higher PG ratio, bump up the nic if you can handle it, and consider doing a flavor that is more like tobacco ( Heathers Heavenly Vapes has one called GAIA... my favorite)

The rest of the post is correct though.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread