NEW AND NEED ADVICE ABOUT WHAT TO BUY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

czarina

Nov 23, 2015
Hi! And let me just say that I am very thankful for finding this forum! (boy, do I have some questions! Ha ha) But I will save those for later.

First, I need advice on what kit to buy. So, I will tell you a little about my situation, and then perhaps you will have advice for me.

My reason for being here is that I desperately want to quit smoking. I have literally tried everything, to no avail.
I am a nurse, and most likely a type A personality.

Sadly, I think I could describe myself as a " hard-core smoker". But, I desperately want to quit, and have just heard about vaping. I thought vaping was using those hidious electronic ciggs they sell at the Smoke-and-Go. I had tried the Blue a few times, and couldn't see what all the hoofla was about, because they are just plain nasty.

I smoke Virginia Slims light, (non-menthol), 120's. About 2 packs a day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. At times, especially if I am working on something, I definitely chain smoke. A lot of it is just habit. I will try to cut down, and then realize I have lit up without even realizing I have.

I am desperate. Frankly, lately, I don't even like the way they taste. I am very excited about vaping, but I know absolutely nothing about it. I have been doing some research, but frankly, that just gets me mor confused!

I can't wait to purchase my first vaping apparatus! But, the more I look, the more confused I become. I was looking at Kanger, but then got confused about the " Subox Nano starter Kit" and the "Subox Mini Starter Kit"!

Help! I am soooo confused. At this point, I don't really care what all the numbers and OHM'S mean! That will all start to make sense to me after a while.

So, for right now, could you please advise me on a good, reasonable priced, ($60 to $70 or less), device?
(I am not partial to Kanger)

Something that has everything in the kit.(except the juice and battery, maybe).

I will go and purchase it immediately. I have been looking on e-bay, but just get more confused.

Once I get the purchase out of the way I will start with all the questions, ha ha!

And, I promise, no more long posts like this!!!!!!

Thanks so much for any help.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @czarina. Glad to have you here!:)

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautilus or eLeaf GS Air M (both tanks). Videos below.
Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

========

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome!

The SuBox kit is very popular. It sells for around $60 and you would need to buy at least 2 18650 IMR batteries and, preferably, a charger for the batteries. I think that would be over $70.

If you want to spend less, I would suggest the Eleaf iStick 30w. It has a built in battery that should last at least a day. The GS Air M is a great tank and costs around $10.

The Aspire Nautilus mini is also a great tank but is about twice the price.

Check out Sweet-Vapes.com.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @czarina I wouldn't recommend shopping on ebay for vape gear, ECF has many registered suppliers, and the best chance of getting "real" and not a clone.

Being a holiday week there will be some sales in Deals and Steals :
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Places I have used with no complaints :
www.myvaporstore.com
www.originvape.com
www.vapesupersaver.com
www.sweetvapes.com
www.myfreedomsmokes.com
www.mtbakervapor.com
www.madvapes.com
www.gotvapes.com

I started on gas station blister pack vapes and after finding ECF I bought my first "great" tank, the Aspire Nautilus Mini. You have two basic choices in mods, one with internal batteries you charge with a usb port, or a mod with replaceable batteries where you swap out the battery and put the old one in a separate battery charger (like the $15 Nitecore Intellicharger i2). Mod is the battery part.

Good luck in your journey, you CAN do it (and it's easier than you think). 1. You need decent gear (not the best), 2. You need juice you like (I'd suggest a trip to a local vape store to sample flavors PLUS you can look at what they have as far as gear BUT it is high pressure sales to sell you ANYTHING---- better to just look and come back here for advice) 3. You have to have the desire (you've got this). 4. Proper Nicotine level -- is decided by cigs you smoked AND the type of gear. I was at 12 mg on the Nautilus for 2 packs a day of light 100's (orange pack). Sub ohm tanks will require LESS nicotine content than you would use in the bigger ohm tanks.

Enjoy. :)

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
The Subox Mini comes with an RBA section and the Nano doesn't. That's the only difference between the two kits. You could use either kit for a starter kit. The RBA section on the mini is (optional). You don't have to use it but it's good to have for later when you advance and want to maybe start building your own coils.

I would suggest getting either. The Subox kits are awesome kits. I own 3 and have extra tanks. I bought my mom the Subox Nano for Christmas. I can't wait to give it to her. I got her into vaping last year.

Finding the perfect juice is key to aiding in quitting smoking. I was lucky enough to find a good tasting juice right away and quit the day I picked up vaping. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 20 years too. It does work if you find the right setup and a good juice. One thing I realized right away was I thought I needed a tobacco flavor for vaping but once I tasted the dessert types of juices I knew I found my juice. Try different juices until something tastes good to you.

Good luck.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yes, the Subox kit would be excellent, but as said above, a bit out of your price range with batteries and a charger. You're looking at about $60 bucks for the kit, and another 20 to 30 for batteries and a charger. From there all you'd need is juice-- I'd recommend 18 or 24 mg to start in a flavor you think you'd like-- and, once you had tried the coils available with your kit, sometime in the first week or two you'd want to get some replacements. A cheaper option would be the iStick 30 and an Aspire Nautilus tank. Then all you'd need is some juice and later some coils. You can buy the battery under $40 and sometimes under 30 if you find it on sale. THe tank can be had for 15-20. For juice, ask at your local vape shops. Many places have "juice bars" so you can taste test.

Reactions: David Wolf

czarina

Nov 23, 2015
Hi! Gosh, thank y'all for so many quick responses! Since I got the first response from Susan-S, I have had my head buried, watching all the videos she suggested.

So many options. I had decided on the Coolfire 4, and the eleaf GS air M, but was having trouble finding it on e-bay.

But, I think I will take some advice offered here, and not purchase from e-bay, but will go through some vendors suggested here.

Do have a few more questions, though. How long should a device last? I have figured out that the tanks will be used up first, and either need replacing, or the coils replaced. So, approx how long should a brand new tank last, before it requires attention? Then, what is the longevity of a mod?

Also, I don't mind spending more on a Kanger, or other brand, if it will provide a more optimal vaping experience. I just didn't want to pop out of the closet and purchase some $199.00 kit!

I had decided on the Coolfire 4 that Susan-S had suggested, because of something else I had read here on this site, while I have been researching. Somewhere here, someone was singing its praises, saying that she actually had purchased 3, because she liked it so well. So, with that, and Susan suggesting it, then the guy in the video seemed to really like it, it seemed like a good choice.

Actually, I was hoping for a kit, that was all inclusive, but that was merely due to my lack of knowledge of them.

Next question: the guy in the video seemed to like the eleaf GS Air M tank better than the Aspire Mini Nautilus tank, but I was having trouble finding them on e-bay. Also, does it matter whether you use the long or the short? They offered TC or original, which I assumed wouldn't be compatible.
Also, with or without an atomizer?

No worries now, as I will look at the vendors suggested here. But, I do need to know, if mega or mega short will both work? If not, I can just use the mini Nautilus.

Also, a little concerned about the battery not coming out of the Coolfire 4. When it dies, so does the device.

So, if you guys think these are good beginning choices, I will try to find them.

Next question: how long does a bottle of juice last?

Thanks again for all the help!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome! :)

You are right. Mall/gas station e-cigs are usually bad.

BLU are a joke, but they don't realise that yet, as they are selling millions backed up with sexy adverts and genuinely 'impressive' marketing. (I take my hat off).
BUT - worst of all - by supporting the TPD 2016 Blu are asking European countries to impose bans on e-cig products.

Anyway, cough, cough, (apologies) back on topic....

The Subox kits are good. I feel they might be a bit too much for some new vapers.

If I had to choose between leaving for work with a subox/subtank or an iStick/mini Nautilus, I vote Nautilus.
However, having a mild intolerance to vapour, I don't tend to vape at high power. Some folk enjoy it from day one.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Also, a little concerned about the battery not coming out of the Coolfire 4. When it dies, so does the device.

For me, it really isn't an issue any more. My 30w iStick is coming up to a year old. When the end comes, even if I could replace the battery it would still be beaten up and failing in other ways, that is the nature of the products.
You either buy disposable hardware or simply buy the best and pray. However, it's a sobering thought to consider that the Provaris which many people bought back in 2014-2015 have become more or less obsolete for vapers on the power escalator.

I have too many mods which still work that I don't use because they are just not able to take the latest tanks. SO - if you decide to get a replaceable battery mod, future-proof yourself the best you can.

Reactions: Falconeer

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Hi! Gosh, thank y'all for so many quick responses! Since I got the first response from Susan-S, I have had my head buried, watching all the videos she suggested.

So many options. I had decided on the Coolfire 4, and the eleaf GS air M, but was having trouble finding it on e-bay.

But, I think I will take some advice offered here, and not purchase from e-bay, but will go through some vendors suggested here.

Do have a few more questions, though. How long should a device last? I have figured out that the tanks will be used up first, and either need replacing, or the coils replaced. So, approx how long should a brand new tank last, before it requires attention? Then, what is the longevity of a mod?

Also, I don't mind spending more on a Kanger, or other brand, if it will provide a more optimal vaping experience. I just didn't want to pop out of the closet and purchase some $199.00 kit!

I had decided on the Coolfire 4 that Susan-S had suggested, because of something else I had read here on this site, while I have been researching. Somewhere here, someone was singing its praises, saying that she actually had purchased 3, because she liked it so well. So, with that, and Susan suggesting it, then the guy in the video seemed to really like it, it seemed like a good choice.

Actually, I was hoping for a kit, that was all inclusive, but that was merely due to my lack of knowledge of them.

Next question: the guy in the video seemed to like the eleaf GS Air M tank better than the Aspire Mini Nautilus tank, but I was having trouble finding them on e-bay. Also, does it matter whether you use the long or the short? They offered TC or original, which I assumed wouldn't be compatible.
Also, with or without an atomizer?

No worries now, as I will look at the vendors suggested here. But, I do need to know, if mega or mega short will both work? If not, I can just use the mini Nautilus.

So, if you guys think these are good beginning choices, I will try to find them.

Next question: how long does a bottle of juice last?

Thanks again for all the help!
Ok, that's a lot :)

A tank can last pretty much forever if you take care of it. The coils need replacing at regular intervals. You'll know when; it will either stop working (wire burnt out) or begin to taste foul (wick got scorched). How often depends on many things: sweet juices, dark colored juices, custard or creme flavors, high wattage, all tend to reduce coil life. Away back when I was still using pre-made coils, some of them would last a week or two, others would go a month.

If you have determined what equipment you want to buy, Vapecrawler is a good way to find the current cheapest price plus coupon codes. While I would never buy batteries (18xxx or 14xxx series batteries) on eBay, I have never had any trouble with mods or tanks so long as you stick with top rated sellers.

The Cool Fire 4 is an excellent piece of gear. If you get one, I suspect you'll like it. It's made by Innokin, a good brand name and they've been around for a while. It does, in fact, come bundled with a tank as a "starter kit". However, the kit is bundled with Innokin's iSub tank. This is a good tank, but the selection of coils for it is very slim. They only make one type, a .5 ohm coil. That's fine if you know you want to subohm, but you don't know that yet. It is, in fact, a very nice tank and attractively priced if you want .5 ohm coils. However, I like to recommend the Kanger Subtank over the iSub for people who are still looking for what they want to vape as it has a wider selection of coils; +ohm, subohm and an RBA deck in case you ever want to build your own. The Cool Fire will work beautifully with the GS Air or the Nautilus. You make the call. You are correct when the battery dies the mod dies with the Cool Fire. Still worse, the batteries are generally the weakest link; they grow weaker with use. You should get at least a year out of the Cool Fire, and maybe 2 or 3 before the battery goes. There's no real way to tell. Innokin doesn't make batteries, they have to buy them and, like all things, not all of them are perfect. It is for this reason I prefer removable battery mods. You can get years of service from one, replacing just the batteries every year or two. If this recommends itself to you, the Kanger Subox is an attractive choice and it often comes bundled with the Kanger Subtank I recommended above over the iSub.

You do not need to concern yourself with temperature control coils at this time. Neither the Cool Fire nor the Subox have the capability and neither will fire a TC coil. If you are interested in TC, there are attractive options-- the Cloupor Mini Plus is running about 50-60 bucks-- but this means we have to start over selecting them :) Not a problem, if you want to, of course. I can talk about vape gear all day, lol.

Just about any 510 threaded tank or dripper will work on the Cool Fire. But you have to use regular resistance coils. Temp Control, non resistance coils will not work.

As for how long a bottle of juice lasts, it depends. Higher watts, lower ohm coils and heavy usage all burn juice faster. It's too subjective to tell you. I vape medium high watts and use subohm coils in the car, and I use dripping atomizers (drippers) at home, which are famous for drinking juice. It would be easy for me to vape up a 15ml bottle of juice in a day. You probably won't be using that much (or not at first.) If the price of juice worries you, learn to DIY your own. I do, making about 6 or 8 regular flavors and trying something new when the mood is on me. I get my cost of juice down under 5 cents/ml for my regular juices, and under a dime for fancies. That means I can "buy" that 15ml bottle of 75 cents to a buck and a half, so it's not a great expense.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
If you're still confused, don't stress out so much. Best thing about all the kits that have been recommended, any of them will actually work! Pick one because you like the looks, or because you like the price, or flip a coin, but don't go eBay on your first purchase! Good luck, it might surprise you how easily you'll quit smoking, or it might take a little effort, everyone is different. In any case, most of the members here are quitters!!! So it must work.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
If you're still confused, don't stress out so much. Best thing about all the kits that have been recommended, any of them will actually work! Pick one because you like the looks, or because you like the price, or flip a coin, but don't go eBay on your first purchase! Good luck, it might surprise you how easily you'll quit smoking, or it might take a little effort, everyone is different. In any case, most of the members here are quitters!!! So it must work.
Well said.

czarina

Nov 23, 2015
Ha ha---------Indeed I am still VERY confused.
I am extremely excited about the possibility of finally being able to quit smoking.

But, now am even more confused about what model of tank and mod to purchase.

I am sure that I will soon be changing my own coils. (Because I am a heavy smoker, so I assume I will be a heavy vaper)

I am glad to hear that I will be able to DIY on the e-liquids. Some I looked at were $17.95 a bottle. I suspect I might be using a bottle a day, so that would be even more expensive than my ciggs!

I tried to look at the sales/holiday specials that ECF suggests, but had trouble navigating some of them. But, I am using my phone, so perhaps that is the problem.
I will try again with my computer.

I think I have settled on the Coolfire 4 and the mini Nautilus. Mainly because it seems like that will be the easiest to change the coils. I will probably try to find some of the eleaf GS Air M's, just because of the price.

All the numbers that you great folks are throwing out at me, are just confusing me. I have no idea what they mean!?!?!

I realize that it won't be long until I understand them, but for now they really confuse me.

Do the devices that I have chosen seem like good ones to start with? I can spend more if necessary.

Now, questions on the juices. HELP!
Where is the best place to get them for a reasonable price?

I also don't understand about some of them burning up sooner. I surely don't want them. Please, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows of a place that I can purchase my "devices" on sale, I would really appreciate knowing.

Thank y'all for all the help! Believe me, it is not falliing on deaf ears.

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
Well hello and welcome to the forums. Wow everyone is giving you such great info here if not well um almost too much for even me to decipher through and I have been vaping now for just over 3 weeks now so I am very new myself. What I did when I first started was I ended up getting a very basic kit I mean really why dump a load of money on something only to find it does not work for you.
Myself I started with some Kangertech Evod 2's to see if I even liked vaping. My biggest attraction to it now is the flavors. When I went and gathered the info I did I was told that these devices though there is allot of them. The more money you spend on them what you are mainly paying for is the battery life on the device itself.
It all depends on what you want too. Some devices need batteries that can be put in them which in due time they will need to be changed after an X amount of charges. With some of these devices you cannot do that. What I am trying to say is the best thing you can do is narrow thigts down for yourself like that.
I hope this helps a bit more with your decision making as this is what I did.

Reactions: Falconeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread