New batt option for 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State
I think the charger terminating at 4.10 volts has more to do with the battery than the charger. I used that battery that charged to 4.10 volts and then recharged it and after the second charge it read 4.19 volts. I think they just need a bit of a break in period. This was using an UltraFire WF-188 charger, so it's a cheap charger, but it has always worked well for me so far with my IMRs.

One of these days I'll invest in a Pila charger, but after 3 months of vaping (and my habit of always wanting to try new attys, juices, etc.), I'm still trying to break even with what I would have spent on analogs :)

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State
Third charge and they are reading at a full 4.20v coming off the charger. I still drop them in the charger after about a day and a half, which brings up a discussion point I was having with Bushmaster today...

The AW IMRs (from what I understand) are rated for about 500 cycles. That is, 500 drains and recharge cycles before they should die. Typically, with rechargeable batteries, especially deep cycle RV/Marine/Solar batteries, this is very dependent on the SOC (state of charge) they are drained to. If it is a lower SoC, for example they are drained to their cutoff voltage, they may not last a full 500 cycles.

If it is a high SoC, they they may very well last far beyond 500 cycles. I would expect to get closer to 750 or maybe even 1000 cycles if I only drained the battery down to 80% SoC instead of letting it run down to cutoff voltage. While you end up charging them more often, because of the larger increase in the number cycles you can put them through, you can get more life out of them in the big picture.

Of course this is somewhat moot when you are talking about a $10 battery, but it is critical when you are talking a large, expensive lead-acid battery that costs $400+ each in a large battery bank.

The point is that the idea of extending the life of most rechargeable batteries is viable by discharging them less and recharging more often verse discharging them more and recharging them less.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
You are absolutely right Decidion,

Do not forget that one of the best ways (if you want to extend life of your batteries) is to charge them to 80%-90% .

Lower cut off (on IMR there is nothing to cut it off, so everybody should be very careful) voltage should always be above 2.8V (new panasonic batt can go to 2.5V), and that is the main reasons for manufacturers to start modifing bare cells by adding el. protection circuits .

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
What exactly is a "spring compression pic"? If the question is about the length of the cells, then the answer is: They are just as long as the AW IMR 18650. The Panasonic CGR18650CH are unprotected safe chemistry, there is no PCB glued on and no additional shrink-wrap foil to cover the additional wire, so they are not thicker than standard.

The "1865" part of the model number describes the diameter and length of the cell in millimeters. They fit into the REO Grand just like an AW IMR. The only difference I can see is the size and shape of the positive terminal - the AW IMR terminal is a hair taller (maybe a fifth of a millimeter) and smaller in diameter.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
You are absolutely right Decidion,

Do not forget that one of the best ways (if you want to extend life of your batteries) is to charge them to 80%-90% .

Lower cut off (on IMR there is nothing to cut it off, so everybody should be very careful) voltage should always be above 2.8V (new panasonic batt can go to 2.5V), and that is the main reasons for manufacturers to start modifing bare cells by adding el. protection circuits .

So do you mean to ONLY charge them as far as 80--90% of full charge?

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
What exactly is a "spring compression pic"? If the question is about the length of the cells, then the answer is: They are just as long as the AW IMR 18650. The Panasonic CGR18650CH are unprotected safe chemistry, there is no PCB glued on and no additional shrink-wrap foil to cover the additional wire, so they are not thicker than standard.

The "1865" part of the model number describes the diameter and length of the cell in millimeters. They fit into the REO Grand just like an AW IMR. The only difference I can see is the size and shape of the positive terminal - the AW IMR terminal is a hair taller (maybe a fifth of a millimeter) and smaller in diameter.

I full well understand what the battery numbers mean but not all 18650 batts are the same measurements as may would assume. So yes I was curious how they relate size wise to aw imr batts for gauging the amount they may compress the springs.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
So do you mean to ONLY charge them as far as 80--90% of full charge?

Yes, that is correct.

Battery life span will go up, but energy density will go down. Meaning , you will have to charge your battery more often.
Maybe, not the best option for PV users.

Trade off...
Giving up valuable minutes of vaping in return for longer battery life.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Yes, that is correct.

Battery life span will go up, but energy density will go down. Meaning , you will have to charge your battery more often.
Maybe, not the best option for PV users.

Trade off...
Giving up valuable minutes of vaping in return for longer battery life.

Okay, that makes sense, but can you give me a figure? Sorry if I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't think I know what 80--90% of full charge is in a 3.7v battery. My Pila currently charges my AW IMR 18650's to between 4.14 and 4.18 v. Is that what I want?

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Ok, they charged up to 4.10 - 4.12 volts and I am vaping away right now. My understanding is that new batteries take a good 15 or so charges to get up to full speed, so I assume they will go up to 4.18-4.20 like my AW IMRs in a week or two, time will tell.

One thing I have noticed is that the overall length is identical to the AW IRMs, however the case on these panasonic batteries is 1mm longer and the positive nipple does not protrude as far as with the AW IMRs. In fact, the nipple on the Panasonic batteries is flush with the top of the case. This means the spring is in fact compressed 1mm more and that you have to depress the button 1mm more to get it to fire. This really isn't a big deal to me, as I feel there is still plenty of room for a spring collapse failure and I have a 3ml syringe cap on my button for comfort anyway.

I'll report back in a few days to give some idea on how long they last compared to the AW IMRs, but it won't be scientific. At 1600ma, the AW IMRs last me 1-1/2 days, so I am hoping these 2250ma Panasonics last 2+ days for me. Again, I expect them to start to perform better after 15 charge cycles.

Last night I remembered that I had a battery magnet laying around that came with one of my first REO's, so I tried that today - works great. It reduces the button press back to normal and doesn't appreciably compress the spring.

Decidion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Washington State

I full well understand what the battery numbers mean but not all 18650 batts are the same measurements as may would assume. So yes I was curious how they relate size wise to aw imr batts for gauging the amount they may compress the springs.

I'd agree with Justice, they are not all identical.

As I mentioned previously, the *overall* length of the two batteries is identical, but the exterior casing (the grey body) on the Panasonic is longer (by 1mm) than the exterior casing (red body) of the AW IMR. But because the nipple on the AW IMR sticks up above the body by about 1mm, then overall, they are the same length.

Again, the implication this has is that, due to the inherent design of the Reo, which holds the whole body of the battery against the plastic switch area cover, the positive contact on the Panasonic does not protrude up into the switch cover area through the hole in the bottom. It still works fine, you just have to depress the firing button down 1 more mm than you would with an AW IMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread