New beater mod needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I haven't kept up with vv stuff for a few months and I'm sure advancements have been made. My beater mod for work has been an istick 50w for a long while and it finally bit the dust last week so I've been carrying my cartel mech. However, it's a bit annoying having to carry batteries in my vest and having to swap them out on busy days so I'm looking for the following:

-Similar in size to istick 50w (small)
-Similar battery life
-Minimum 50w but I'd prefer 100w if possible
-TC not required as I only use kanthal
-Cheaper is better, naturally, but it needs to be durable because I frequently drop the damn thing on the tarmac

I've been lucky in not dropping the cartel as of yet but I know luck is running out on that front. :/

Through a quick browse, I read jaybo's rx200 is a reliable piece on the cheap but it looks to be too big to fit the bill, unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I haven't kept up with vv stuff for a few months and I'm sure advancements have been made. My beater mod for work has been an istick 50w for a long while and it finally bit the dust last week so I've been carrying my cartel mech. However, it's a bit annoying having to carry batteries in my vest and having to swap them out on busy days so I'm looking for the following:

-Similar battery life
-Cheaper is better, naturally, but it needs to be durable because I frequently drop the damn thing on the tarmac

I've been lucky in not dropping the cartel as of yet but I know luck is running out on that front. :/

I switched from the istick TC40 to the eVIC-VTC mini. Slightly bigger, it's a mechanical mod that offers 75W max, TC (Ni and Ti options), relatively cheap (~$30+ from Fastech). I like the fact that I can just take an extra rechargeable batteries (LGD or NCR 1865) to fill it in the mod in long days. One batterie is usually enough for the whole day especially if I use high mAh ones (2500, 3500 mAh). I suppose that the changeable batterie option increase the mod viability. I haven't had the need to use my istick since I got that mod.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I really liked my iStick 50W, but two of them died with black screens within the warranty period and I changed to the Innokin Cool Fire 4. It's been flawless. I vape a Smok Koopor Plus 200W around the house, but I usually take the Cool Fire 4 when I'm out. It will get me through a work day and can be plugged into USB for a charge top off.

Last edited:

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I looked at them and just really didn't care for any of them enough to purchase. I wound up just getting an rx200 at $39 for now until I find something perfect. It's a bit big but seems like a well built piece.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mind me asking where, I was looking at picking one up and cheapest I have seen is $45

VapeNW. It's 39.99+$5 (so, really 40-45) priority shipping unless you spend $75. I needed a few other odds and ends so it worked out

Reactions: vjdossey

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia

-Similar battery life

Through a quick browse, I read jaybo's rx200 is a reliable piece on the cheap but it looks to be too big to fit the bill, unfortunately.

I am a little late to the thread, but I recommend the KBOX mini. Now that you can purchase them for $23 separately from the starter kit, I think they are a perfect backup/beater/pocket mod.

It is 50w non-TC, small, and durable as far as I can tell. Vapor beast has them at that price. Currently they have a $5 off $35 with free shipping. So you could get 2, all in, for $43.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I looked at them and just really didn't care for any of them enough to purchase. I wound up just getting an rx200 at $39 for now until I find something perfect. It's a bit big but seems like a well built piece.

The RX200 isn't a beater mod. They don't survive falls. Not even a fall from 15".

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The search continues. However, as I was going through my night stand on Thursday night, I found my old istick 30w that I'd bought to run my lemo drop on a year or so ago. I'd forgotten about that little guy so I threw a quick .6 ohm single coil build in my derringer. Not too shabby at all so I think it will work until I find what I'm looking for.

IMG_20160129_102924615_zps0nezfg5e.jpg

izen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Northeast
He's looking for small and the lotus le80 isn't that small
Yeah, true, but like anything else, sometimes reasonable compromises can be made. Other than size the LE80's pretty perfect (although its size could be a deal-breaker). It's well-built, powerful, dual 18650 long lasting, no battery swaps for the day in most cases, fun to use, easy to operate, instant power (series box), no ramp-up time, comfortable to hold, safe, VV only, has DVM and is cheap !!! - OK it's big. (was just a suggestion) :) ...personally, I retired an eVic VTC mini and a Sigelei 100W Plus in favor of the LE80. I don't do TC. It's just better. imho. :)

Reactions: Adam harris

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Yeah, true, but like anything else, sometimes reasonable compromises can be made. Other than size the LE80's pretty perfect (although its size could be a deal-breaker). It's well-built, powerful, dual 18650 long lasting, no battery swaps for the day in most cases, fun to use, easy to operate, instant power (series box), no ramp-up time, comfortable to hold, safe, VV only, has DVM and is cheap !!! - OK it's big. (was just a suggestion) :) ...personally, I retired an eVic VTC mini and a Sigelei 100W Plus in favor of the LE80. I don't do TC. It's just better. imho. :)

I'm not hating on the lotus. It's a very good mod that has a different feel and way to it.

The only reason it isn't worth it to me is the size.

I had an istick100 and it was so massive that it was very uncomfortable in my pocket.

I also have an istick50 that is perfect in my front pocket with a tank attached.

The deal breaker is the lotus is only a 1/4 inch smaller than the istick100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread