Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Sounds like you've been lucky. I read about 3 of them so far that have quit after being dropped.
That's not huge percentage of the ones out there though. Bet there are way more stories about rx's not breaking. I'm not claiming that it's a particularly durable device, it's weight will make it more vulnerable than lighter mods, but it's not something that's ridiculously fragile.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
That's not huge percentage of the ones out there though. Bet there are way more stories about rx's not breaking. I'm not claiming that it's a particularly durable device, it's weight will make it more vulnerable than lighter mods, but it's not something that's ridiculously fragile.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

3 stories is enough for me to stay away from them and not recommend them as a beater mod. The first story that was posted only fell off a 15" table. That sounds pretty fragile to me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mods these days are so heavy with the high amp batteries that they hit hard when they drop. My idea of a beater mod is one that is cheap, works well, and can be replaced at low cost when it dies, kind of like a fishing/hunting vehicle where you don't care about how it looks ... only that it works when needed, does the job, and can be replaced cheaply.

My beater mod is an old iStick 20W that's been knocked around for a year and a half. It's scratched up, not too pretty, but it keeps on ticking and fits in a pocket while I'm cutting grass. If it falls out and gets chewed up, I'm good. It's served its purpose. When it dies, my Innokin Coolfire 4 will become the grass cutting mod :)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
The search continues. However, as I was going through my night stand on Thursday night, I found my old istick 30w that I'd bought to run my lemo drop on a year or so ago. I'd forgotten about that little guy so I threw a quick .6 ohm single coil build in my derringer. Not too shabby at all so I think it will work until I find what I'm looking for.

IMG_20160129_102924615_zps0nezfg5e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I've been running 2 istick 30's for well over a year... I love em. They hold my subtank plus nicely. I throw em in my backpack or purse and haven't had any issuea. Wanted a ne w mod so i got the istick 40 w tc that I haven't and may never use. I love the look and feel of it...

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: subwayaznm

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I'm still going to say istick50.

I don't care if they say they blew up caught on fire had a bad button clicks button whatever!

I've had mine for almost a year and it's been dropped on hardwood floor from 4 feet.

Juice spilled all over it and in the 510.

Shorted out multiple times do to my mess up builds.
Plug it back to the charger and it works again every time.

Perfect pocket friendly with a lemo or your preferred tank.

Amazing feel and doesn't weigh as much as a brick mod.

4400mah so depending on how you vape say 20-40watts your going to get 2 days before charge. Ill leave it at that.

Now unless your going to be running fused clapton alien crap fuzz nut coils

It's really a no brainer

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015

I don't care if they say they blew up caught on fire had a bad button clicks button whatever!

I've had mine for almost a year and it's been dropped on hardwood floor from 4 feet.

4400mah so depending on how you vape say 20-40watts your going to get 2 days before charge. Ill leave it at that.

It's really a no brainer

hahaha. Mine has a similar story, especially the crap builds and spilling juice all over it, sometimes at the same time.

I really like it, especially when at work.

I just don't have time to mess around with fussy stuff at work. I have to 60 watt isticks but the door pops off when I knock it on the floor. That's not an issue with the 50. My office floor is cheap carpet over concrete and I haven't busted it yet, dropping it at least twice a week for over a month now :)

Reactions: Adam harris

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

It's really a no brainer

I agree with you on the fit, finish, and performance of the iStick 50W. I loved mine, but had to make a quick decision after the second one died with a black screen. The warranty was about to run out and I had to make a choice for switching to something else under the vape shop's local warranty. I picked the Coolfire 4.

The QC may have improved after that. I'm glad to see that they are holding up and performing as advertised.

Reactions: Adam harris

Zanzabar78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Jordan
I haven't kept up with vv stuff for a few months and I'm sure advancements have been made. My beater mod for work has been an istick 50w for a long while and it finally bit the dust last week so I've been carrying my cartel mech. However, it's a bit annoying having to carry batteries in my vest and having to swap them out on busy days so I'm looking for the following:

-Similar in size to istick 50w (small)
-Similar battery life
-Minimum 50w but I'd prefer 100w if possible
-TC not required as I only use kanthal
-Cheaper is better, naturally, but it needs to be durable because I frequently drop the damn thing on the tarmac

I've been lucky in not dropping the cartel as of yet but I know luck is running out on that front. :/

Through a quick browse, I read jaybo's rx200 is a reliable piece on the cheap but it looks to be too big to fit the bill, unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How about istick tc100w? Great battery life, good form factor

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread