New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Ok, I can understand such a condition.. But I'm curious that if a program can know it's not being fully displayed (I'm guessing perhaps by detecting closeness to edges in some way??), then why isn't it able to also detect that is in, in fact, being fully displayed within a screen?

I have finally gotten it to stay on the top edge (perhaps I shouldn't mention that? :) ), and I'm not really wanting it to always be touching the bottom taskbar anyways (cause I usually like having it ~halfway above Cyberfox's bottom add-on bar, for popping up weather windows), nor the right side (for detaching the notes) - but it's kind of 'far'-ish away from touching the left edge before it defaults. And I'm also wondering why the other windows can get much closer before defaulting (at least to the left edge when testing the ingredient window)?

Please know I'm not trying to argue. I'm just wanting to understand. I've only ever been a dabbler in a couple programming languages - and that was long ago now, so I don't remember much of anything anymore. =)

As always, many thanks for your ever continuing patience!
I found a better way to detect the condition and have made a change. It allows the window to hang over the edge of the display a little and still restore its position. It will be in the next version.

Explanation from a coding standpoint; I was using the "Form.Size" and I discovered that the window is reporting the Size being slightly larger than it really is causing the false indication. I changed the code to use the "Form.ClientRectangle.Size" and then added the height of the TitleBar. The new method is not 100% accurate but for what I am trying to accomplish it is accurate enough to ensure that the window is always visible to the user. Also, I was checking to see if the window fully fit on any one of the "Screens" defined to the system which would not allow for a window to span across to screens. I made a second change to use the "SystemInformation.VirtualScreen". Now the window can be half on one screen and half on another and it will still restore the position.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Feature suggestion: It might be nice in the main recipe window's 'Filter recipes by' section to have the ability to filter by rating.

As my recipe library grows and I start rating testers I can see myself wanting to filter that way to decide what I want to make a big batch of next.
Did you see this in the options?:
upload_2016-9-26_20-31-36.png

Reactions: Fozzy71

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Nah sorry that's pants. I have been running Linux since it started. If you knew me you would know why. Linux is incredible for the embedded world. No doubt about that but for the desktop? Sorry but my Mac L&F cant be beat. Even Window's L&F is better than Linux! Under the hood on the Mac it's Unix. You can still get a shell prompt. Also there is macports which brings in the entire Open Source infrastructure if you want it. Hell you can even run Gnome on the Mac if that's what you like.

Back to the topic. I am running JC on my Mac under WInebottler. It works about 95%. There are some niggly bugs but it really does not bother me and I get around them in order to use this brilliant software from HR. BTW, the bugs are NOT from HR's programming. They are to do with the underlying Wine implementation.....and yes....they persist similarly on Linux.

OT:
Yeah, I didn't even know about JC back then (was likely still smoking). The main/only one that got me to switch back was Directory Opus. I kept trying, but just could not get that to run under Wine (or any other emulator I probably tried at the time). I had been using it since its inception on the Commodore Amiga - and after a couple years or so with various Linux distros, it just got to a breaking point. Of course, now, there is also Lightroom for my photography hobby - which most likely wouldn't run under Wine either. But the big ONE is still Opus.

For those that don't know, Directory Opus is [more than] a 'File Manager' on steroids that is hopped up on caffeine, coke, and methamphetamines combined. :) If your a Windows user though, you really must check it out (doesn't seem to have a Mac version, unfortunately). I've been using it for ages, and yet I'm still only scratching the surface of what it can do.

Last edited:

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    OT:
    Yeah, I didn't even know about JC back then (was likely still smoking). The main/only one that got me to switch back was Directory Opus. I kept trying, but just could not get that to run under Wine (or any other emulator I probably tried at the time). I had been using it since its inception on the Commodore Amiga - and after a couple years or so with various Linux distros, it just got to a breaking point. Of course, now, there is also Lightroom for my photography hobby - which most likely wouldn't run under Wine either. But the big ONE is still Opus.

For those that don't know, Directory Opus is [more than] a 'File Manager' on steroids that is hopped up on caffeine, coke, and methamphetamines combined. :) If your a Windows user though, you really must check it out (doesn't seem to have a Mac version, unfortunately). I've been using it for ages, and yet I'm still only scratching the surface of what it can do.

I looked at the Directory Opus site. I am confused. What does it do that Finder on the Mac can't already do? I looked at all the screenshots and everything I see Finder can do, and whats more, does it better. Maybe we should take this OT.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    This doesn't seem to take into account the actual/existing last made on date if it was made in the past for all recipes. It did for the Marshmallow Vanilla Swirl and the Western Menthol at the bottom of the list.

yrYYL1M.png
    So, what I am "really really" interested here is the Baklava (Raw) (Real Flavors). Sounds yum. Where can I get it?

Reactions: Fozzy71

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    View attachment 602577

Nope, thanks. Will give that a try.

So, what I am "really really" interested here is the Baklava (Raw) (Real Flavors). Sounds yum. Where can I get it?

RF makes some great flavors. I am mostly testing/using them as standalone so far and have been pleased with all the ones I tested. There is a thread about them here - Real flavors - and threads about them on other forums as well.

Reactions: IDJoel

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    View attachment 602577
    This helps.

I also tried the sort by create date and noticed that a recipe that was created by using the Edit > Copy Recipe method keeps the cloned recipes create date so they end up all next to each other in the sorted list. i.e. I often use the copy recipe method regardless of which recipe I am on just to save a little time and the cloned recipe may not even be similar to the new recipe. The 2 recipes I made yesterday by copying other recipes are in the middle of the list now instead of at the top or bottom.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I looked at the Directory Opus site. I am confused. What does it do that Finder on the Mac can't already do? I looked at all the screenshots and everything I see Finder can do, and whats more, does it better. Maybe we should take this OT.
    OT:
    It's hard for me to explain, but that's exactly the same as asking what Opus can do that Explorer on PC can't do. I guess I'd say that you can customize EVERY single aspect from functionality (creating button & menus) to display from colors to fonts to placement, have tabbed listings/listers, able to use a palette of a couple/few hundred different column criteria for the file listings (incl. metadata, etc) and set them to change for every directory that you set specifics for (like change to a hybrid of thumbnail and details for either a specific directory - or any directory that contains a set percentage of picture files, for instance), a full-fledged cataloging/content type system & metadata editing, scripting (i.e. if file is less than 3 days old, do 'this' for every highlighted file/directory, and/or certain filetype when double-clicked). It also has a complete desktop replacement mode...

I wanted to post a screenshot of the way I have mine tricked out, but all I can seem to use with this BB system is the "BB code editor" - the "rich text" editor does nothing at all (on several forums using this same software). ... I've set things for better contrast for my aging eyes, using mainly a dual vertical style (with a button to switch to dual horizontal, and back, on the fly): black background in file display, red background on buttons with yellow text, darker blue text for directories, bright blue-green text for files, darkish white text for sym-links, files and directories newer than 3 days old (can also set many other criteria, like metadata and whatnot) display as bold (but no color change set)... and so forth..

And to at least mention one thing within topic, sort of.. It's like DIY flavorings - it's all a matter of how far down the rabbit hole one wants go with it. =)

..... I think there was another person here that mentioned Opus.. Maybe they can come along and explain it better than I can. I can say for certain though: once you go Opus, you never go back. :) And believe me, with Linux I really really tried, too - for a couple/few years. :-/

Last edited:

Tyler Smith

Sep 5, 2016
    Don't think I'm being a pain, but how hard would it be to make a save as PDF or something for inventory? Reason I ask is this is what I get when I print. Don't know if it's because it's a Windows program on MAC or what. I get 26 pages with just ingredients and Ingredient Name is on every page on top of an ingredient. Any help would be appreciated.
    72a94a90c333b85c99110f986fdf905e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Don't think I'm being a pain, but how hard would it be to make a save as PDF or something for inventory? Reason I ask is this is what I get when I print. Don't know if it's because it's a Windows program on MAC or what. I get 26 pages with just ingredients and Ingredient Name is on every page on top of an ingredient. Any help would be appreciated.
    It's an honest question so your not a pain to my way of thinking :). When I just ran my inventory just now I got 7 single-sides pages for 230+ ingredients and it looks like this:
    upload_2016-9-27_20-22-3.png

I did have to select a slightly smaller font (from 12pt to 10pt) to keep the quantity from being clipped along the right margin but, other than that it seems OK to me. You might check your "Print Defaults" in "Options" but if that doesn't help I am guessing it is more to do with the Mac platform (sorry; I should have said I am running a pc w/windows 10).

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I just figured out the next best thing. I exported all recipes to Excel. In the excel document there's a sheet that says AllIngredients. I =Sum(blah blah) themed and got my totals.

There should also be several programs that install a 'printer' named to the effect of "print to PDF". In my list of printers I see "Microsoft print to PDF" and a Foxit p-t-pdf. I'm sure there must be several others out there via a google search, if you don't already see that MS one.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    Possible bug(s)?

Whenever a flavor percentage is set to anything below .2% (.0x, .1x), pressing the up button causes an exception that is 'recoverable' by just clicking "continue".. but I need to manually enter other percentages if it's anything below that .2%, in order to avoid that.

Also of note is that I have auto-increment set for flavor% in .1% increments up to 1%.

--------------------------------
    And about that auto-increment feature... Is it supposed to go straight down to my upper percentage that I've set if going from say, 3%, all the way down to 1%(my upper-set limit in auto-increment) when clicking the down button? Even though I have it set for .25% increments outside of the range set in auto-increment?

Thanks.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread