Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
There for a moment I thought that we had all gone into hibernation.
I think we are all pining for our fearless leader! My laptop doesn't know what to do with itself as it hasn't had a calculator update in a couple of months, I think it has become used to the weekly "fine tuning."
Many thanks to @IDJoel for all his help and research.
Thanks for the kind words but really none of my thoughts are original. I only regurgitate what I have learned here (with a LOT more words... and a few pretty pictures :rolleyes:). The real credit will always go to HotRod for some stellar programming, and everyone who posted the 120ish pages, before I ever came along (and after too! :D).

"Fan Club."
That is my feeling of the ECF community and all the folks that make this thread in particular. If I had a hat tipping emoji I would use it here. I don't. So I will just offer my own simple "Thank you one and all!" instead. :)

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Ok, I think I finally got into the correct thread! It's been one of those days! :blink:

@IDJoel, I'm not sure how to give a detailed lead in to this discussion, so will just jump into it.

Moving out discussion about creating an ingredient from a recipe from the other thread, I am running version 8.0.0.8 of the calculator. This is a screenshot showing my only option to "save ingredient" which I have done:
Calculator.jpg

I have no idea if it matters, but I am on Windows 7.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Ok, I think I finally got into the correct thread!
No worries. I have caught up with ya. :D
@IDJoel, I'm not sure how to give a detailed lead in to this discussion, so will just jump into it.
My memory is awful; but it is not quite that bad yet:eek:.

For the benefit of all other Juice Calculator users following this thread I will try to give a brief (Me? Yeah... right!) recap of what @OlderNDirt is trying to figure out:

He is trying to use the Edit->Create flavor base from recipe... feature of the calculator but it is not giving him the "Create recipe" option. I have already asked him to confirm that it is Juice Calculator and that is is the current version. He is good on both counts.

Here are screen shots of both of our flavor base windows so everyone can see what we are talking about(note: both of us are running current version 8.0.0.8 and I am using Windows 10 while @OlderNDirt is using Windows 7):
Mine:
upload_2017-3-29_22-42-34.png

OlderNDirt's:
upload_2017-3-29_23-7-40.png

I have no idea if it matters, but I am on Windows 7.
I am afraid I am too software/operating system illiterate to say if that could be causing the issue or not.

I'm sorry Older... I'm stumped!

I checked the Tool->Options menus to see if I could see a "control" there that would be the fix but I got zilch! I feel like I am overlooking something totally obvious.
29.gif

Anybody else have any ideas???

If not, I am hoping @HotRod19579 will be returning to us shortly, and he may have an answer... because I certainly don't think yours is behaving correctly. :oops:

Reactions: OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska

For the benefit of all other Juice Calculator users following this thread I will try to give a brief (Me? Yeah... right!) recap of what @OlderNDirt is trying to figure out:

He is trying to use the Edit->Create flavor base from recipe... feature of the calculator but it is not giving him the "Create recipe" option. I have already asked him to confirm that it is Juice Calculator and that is is the current version. He is good on both counts.

Here are screen shots of both of our flavor base windows so everyone can see what we are talking about(note: both of us are running current version 8.0.0.8 and I am using Windows 10 while @OlderNDirt is using Windows 7):
Mine:
View attachment 645125

OlderNDirt's:
View attachment 645131

I am afraid I am too software/operating system illiterate to say if that could be causing the issue or not.

I checked the Tool->Options menus to see if I could see a "control" there that would be the fix but I got zilch! I feel like I am overlooking something totally obvious.
29.gif

If not, I am hoping @HotRod19579 will be returning to us shortly, and he may have an answer... because I certainly don't think yours is behaving correctly. :oops:

Thanks and I think it all comes down to the missing "create recipe" button.

I pretty sure the border thing is a non-issue. Either the difference in windows systems or, more likely, I do believe at some point long ago I found settings allowing one to personalize things like that.

I also checked and I am able to resize the window, but never got it big enough for the "create recipe" button to show up! Maybe mine is on strike? :laugh:

Bottom line, I'm not going to fret over it too much! I don't mix many recipes at this point, for those I do I am fine with mixing from the individual flavors or manually entering the recipe. And best of all, considering @Ed Sause's thought about re-installing the calculator......

This desktop is getting some age on it and I was already looking into a new laptop and this gives me another checkmark in my "need new computer" column! But sure would suck to get a new computer, install the calculator, and find the button still missing? :cry: Maybe my ISP is just collecting buttons? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am good....not a big problem and will not slow down my mixing. And should I go the new computer route, I will surely return to ask about or research transferring the data and report on the missing button case.

28if

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Outskirts of Detroit Rock City
^^ I would make sure you have the latest .NET libraries installed first.

Also check your screen dpi settings in control panel. I have seen some odd things happen with Visual Studio and dpi / font settings higher then 100%.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida

Mine:
View attachment 645125

OlderNDirt's:
View attachment 645131

29.gif

I am running windows 7 and v8.0.0.8 and it shows up on mine.

upload_2017-3-30_12-33-28.png

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Okie dokie! Who'd a thunk?

Also check your screen dpi settings in control panel. I have seen some odd things happen with Visual Studio and dpi / font settings higher then 100%.

So I checked dpi settings first and it was set on 125%. Changed it to 100% which required a log off to take effect. I just did a computer restart since it had been a while. While not identical to the other screenshots, the "save as new recipe" button is now there. But dang! Everything is just so small for these old eyes. But I am going to keep it this way for a while and see how it goes. If it is too hard on my eyes, I will set it back to 125% and manually enter the recipe.

Thanks so much @IDJoel and @28if for solving the mystery. And if I do change it back and the button stays, I will report back that maybe just a computer restart might fix it for others.

Psst! Don't tell my wife, but I am still gonna leave that checkmark in the "need a new laptop" column. :sneaky:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
But dang! Everything is just so small for these old eyes.
I guess that means you better add "Larger Screen" to that laptop shopping list.:D It is a bit counter intuitive to true portability (size + weight), but if you are only using it around the house, it is awful nice!

As a side note, from one half-blind old guy to another; are you aware of the "magnifier" feature in windows? If the smaller size is only intermittently a problem I have found the Windows key + the "plus(+)" key combo (which turns on the Magnifier feature) to be quite helpful. It is not a fix for all things but it sure does help. (It has its own settings too so you can dial it into suit your own preferences too.)
Thanks so much @IDJoel and @28if for solving the mystery.
Don't thank me... that was entirely @28if! Great call 28if!!:thumbs:
And if I do change it back and the button stays, I will report back that maybe just a computer restart might fix it for others.
That is what I am curious about. Is it anything over 100% and the button disappears again (e.g. 101%)? Or is there some break-point between 101% and 125% where it goes away? Or, was it just a restart that was required, and now 125% is no longer a problem? I guess those answers will depend on how many times you are willing to restart you computer. :)
Psst! Don't tell my wife, but I am still gonna leave that checkmark in the "need a new laptop" column. :sneaky:
Your secret is safe with me! :)

And a HUGE "thank you" to everyone who chimed in right away! You folks rock!! The support this thread, and its participants, so freely give is one of this calculator's best (an most understated) features! :wub::thumbs:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I guess that means you better add "Larger Screen" to that laptop shopping list.:D It is a bit counter intuitive to true portability (size + weight), but if you are only using it around the house, it is awful nice!

My current desktop monitor is 22", so was not going to go under a 17" laptop. But even wondering now if that is large enough. Since I would not be mobile with a laptop much, I might just replace the desktop and go big for a new monitor.

As a side note, from one half-blind old guy to another; are you aware of the "magnifier" feature in windows? If the smaller size is only intermittently a problem I have found the Windows key + the "plus(+)" key combo (which turns on the Magnifier feature) to be quite helpful. It is not a fix for all things but it sure does help. (It has its own settings too so you can dial it into suit your own preferences too.)

I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard that has a zoom toggle that works well for the content. But the icons and browser toolbars remain really small. That sucks with bifocals and I don't like using my reading glasses for long periods.

That is what I am curious about. Is it anything over 100% and the button disappears again (e.g. 101%)? Or is there some break-point between 101% and 125% where it goes away? Or, was it just a restart that was required, and now 125% is no longer a problem? I guess those answers will depend on how many times you are willing to restart you computer. :)

I'll probably try going back to 125% and see what happens and adjust from there if needed. Another hassle with changing it is all the icons stacked on the left side of the screen instead of in my groupings. And I have way too many Icons. Re-arranging them when they were that small was a pain. But so far, I am strongly considering changing it back since I only have one compound flavorings recipe so far and I can manually enter that recipe.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My current desktop monitor is 22", so was not going to go under a 17" laptop. But even wondering now if that is large enough. Since I would not be mobile with a laptop much, I might just replace the desktop and go big for a new monitor.
I don't know how close you sit to your current desktop monitor, but when I switched from desktop to laptop (and actually started using it on my lap), I found my face was closer to the the laptop screen than the desktop screen, so eventhough it was slightly smaller, I felt like the screen was larger and easier to see. But that's just me. :D
I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard that has a zoom toggle that works well for the content. But the icons and browser toolbars remain really small. That sucks with bifocals and I don't like using my reading glasses for long periods.
If you haven't already; try the Windows Magnifier (Win key plus "+" key at the same time) and give it a try. It magnifies anything on the screen, following the cursor, and it is scalable. I say, it is not a cure-all, but it might help in certain situations. :D
But so far, I am strongly considering changing it back since I only have one compound flavorings recipe so far and I can manually enter that recipe.
Outside of a nuisance factor I don't see what it could hurt. Worst case would be to scale it back if, and when, you want to make a flavor base. Once you have it created, you should have both the recipe and ingredient created and available for use, and shouldn't need the "create" screen to further use them. :)

Reactions: 28if

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
UPDATE:

I opened up an Excel spreadsheet and immediately realized running my display at a 100% level wasn't going to work for me. I tried the magnifier, but learning how to use and control the movement would take some getting used to. So I changed the display setting back to 125%, but this time just logged off and back on. Good news is everything, including my plethora of icons returned to their original size and positions....no rearranging. Bad news is, the save recipe button went away again which for me is no big deal and I can work around that.

As far as @IDJoel's inquiry about trying it at 101% or 110%, the only options I could see were 100%, 125%, or 150%. So I am good with how it is and giving it a rest........until I get a new laptop.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
UPDATE:

I opened up an Excel spreadsheet and immediately realized running my display at a 100% level wasn't going to work for me. I tried the magnifier, but learning how to use and control the movement would take some getting used to. So I changed the display setting back to 125%, but this time just logged off and back on. Good news is everything, including my plethora of icons returned to their original size and positions....no rearranging. Bad news is, the save recipe button went away again which for me is no big deal and I can work around that.

As far as @IDJoel's inquiry about trying it at 101% or 110%, the only options I could see were 100%, 125%, or 150%. So I am good with how it is and giving it a rest........until I get a new laptop.

You can lower your video resolution and get your enlarged everything but bypass the "bug" because it will be at 100%

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
You can lower your video resolution and get your enlarged everything but bypass the "bug" because it will be at 100%

Using the magnifier, desktop icons remained very small (could live with that) and IE headers/bars did not enlarge making them almost unusable for me and my eyes. Perhaps there is a way to enlarge them with the magnifier or by some other means, but at this point, I can deal with it as it is. Thanks!

Reactions: 28if

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    Don't adjust your set.....

After searching tinternet, it seems this is a known and very old unfixed .NET problem where controls on forms disappear at certain resolutions. Have you tried to update to the latest version Microsoft .NET with all its Service Packs?

Incidentally, this problem does not show up running JuiceCalculator under Wine on the Mac.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Don't adjust your set.....

After searching tinternet, it seems this is a known and very old unfixed .NET problem where controls on forms disappear at certain resolutions. Have you tried to update to the latest version Microsoft .NET with all its Service Packs?

Incidentally, this problem does not show up running JuiceCalculator under Wine on the Mac.

So, I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1. I upgraded .NET from 4.5 to 4.6.2. Still don't have the "Save Recipe" button. But I have no idea if the update included "all its Service Packs" since I saw nothing about that on the Microsoft download page.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I appear (if I read the directions from Microsoft correctly:confused:) to only be running 4.0.0.0. Should I try and update this? I do not have the "disappearing button" problem @OlderNDirt is experiencing (or any other issues that I am aware of). The only updates I can find are "Developer Packs" and I have no idea what that is. I am NOT "system savvy" and am not eager to muck about with things that can create problems where they don't currently seem to exist.

Regedit screenshot per Microsoft directions:
    upload_2017-4-6_3-43-22.png

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    For us non-techy types; can you explain how to go about this? Or, at least; how to go about checking if it is up to date?

Please and thank you!:D

The latest version .NET 4.7 was released only yesterday! and it looks like they have a fix for this very problem. From Microsoft's .NET blog:
    The .NET Framework 4.7 includes improvements in several areas:
    • High DPI support for Windows Forms applications on Windows 10
    • Touch support for WPF applications on Windows 10
    • Enhanced cryptography support
    • Performance and reliability improvements
    However, they also state:
    The .NET Framework 4.7 will be released for additional Windows versions soon. We’ll make an announcement when we have the final date.

So, this fix has probably not propagated to earlier releases yet. But if your running Windows 10 and have this problem, this .NET update should fix it. If your running Wndows 7, you will have to wait.

** HOWEVER ** of course, the final word on this "MUST" be left with Rod, who isn't present to comment on this thread right now. It is very likely he will want to confirm (reproduce the bug) and test his code using this new update. The .NET update should make no difference to the application working as normal but install at your own risk.

Instructions on the blog site tell you how to install/update.
    See: Announcing the .NET Framework 4.7

Also see: dotnet/README.md at master · Microsoft/dotnet · GitHub

I should also point out that I don't run Windows (Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole). So, I don't have a Windows system to test this on.....and so I cant confirm that this update does actually fix the problem. It's just a suggested idea ;)

Last edited:

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    I appear (if I read the directions from Microsoft correctly:confused:) to only be running 4.0.0.0. Should I try and update this? I do not have the "disappearing button" problem @OlderNDirt is experiencing (or any other issues that I am aware of). The only updates I can find are "Developer Packs" and I have no idea what that is. I am NOT "system savvy" and am not eager to muck about with things that can create problems where they don't currently seem to exist.

Regedit screenshot per Microsoft directions:
    View attachment 646939
    As a long in the tooth software developer, I would say, if it isn't broken, don't try fix it. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread