New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    Geez! I hope Rod is OK. He hasn't responded to my emails and always has in the past.

A question re PG/VG percentages in the ingredients editor for Nic. If I am adding 7.2% PG based Nic, what value should the PG percent be. I have always left this at the default 100% but I am not sure this is correct.

For those of you in the UK. Time is running out as the TRPR regulations are looming ever closer. After 19th May in the UK it becomes illegal to sell any nicotine liquid based product in greater than 10ml bottles. I am presuming this will affect the sale of Nic too and buying Nic in bulk will be very difficult. I have stocked up for at least a few years myself, but finding Nic in quantity in the UK at the moment is very difficult as everyone is selling out stock. However, no affiliation, but I recommend LuceMill who still have stock of 1Litre 72Mg/Ml bottles at only £43 delivered. For those interested: UK: Detailed TPD implementation plan | Vaping Post

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    A question re PG/VG percentages in the ingredients editor for Nic. If I am adding 7.2% PG based Nic, what value should the PG percent be. I have always left this at the default 100% but I am not sure this is correct.
    I am not sure I am understanding your question correctly. Are you saying you have 72mg/mL nic in a PG base? And; want to know if you should give the PG a value of 100% or something else (such as 92.8%... since there is 7.2% "other" (in this case; nic) taking up the rest)?

The short answer is use 100% PG and move on. Unless a base states a specific PG/VG ratio, such as 50/50 or 30/70, I think the majority of us tend to use 100% (of either/or) and call it good enough.

The 92.8% is probably more "correct." However; it opens Pandora's Box. How do you account for the "other" in flavor concentrates? Most manufacturers don't even hint. What about those who state there is both PG AND VG in a particular flavor concentrate but don't specify any defined ratio? What about those that include ethyl alcohol as part of the carrier base? Or water? Or....????? At some point you have to say this is where I am willing to draw the line.

You can see any effort for accuracy quickly gets diluted by all the inaccuracies created by the unknowns. That is why many DIYers focus instead on repeatability. It really doesn't matter what value we give an ingredient (other than the nicotine itself; this becomes a matter of safety) as long as we add it the same way each time to get the same (repeatable) result.

The only "routine" adjustments for specific nicotine content for various nicotine bases, that I am aware of, apply to "weight" and not "percentage." (a 100mg/mL nic in PG (1.035mg/mL) will have a different weight compared to a 48mg/mL nic in PG (1.036656mg/mL). But even that difference is only 0.001658mg/mL.

That is the way I see it. Maybe others can share a different point of view. :)

jayv

ECF Veteran
    Apr 23, 2013
    nj usa
    Really hoping someone can help me. I worked with hotrod to correct the dymo 30330 labels. All was working great for a long time. I just came home from a 3 day trip and went to print a label from my dymo machine and it's all coming out wrong again. There was no update done so I have no idea why this happened. Here's what it looks like now. If you look closely the label has 2 sections. It's all used to print on the larger section. Please someone help me.

2611f41ba82ee27bb922201340199cc9.jpg

upload_2017-5-4_1-57-39.png

upload_2017-5-4_1-58-25.png

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Really hoping someone can help me. I worked with hotrod to correct the dymo 30330 labels. All was working great for a long time. I just came home from a 3 day trip and went to print a label from my dymo machine and it's all coming out wrong again.
    @HotRod19579 is still MIA. How did you work with HotRod? On this thread? Through PM? Or some other way?

I don't see any real differences in your set up and the images HotRod has previously posted. The only thing I can think of is check you Windows Printer setup as HotRod described in this post:
    That is strange. My 450 will not allow me to print above the split, in the calculator or directly from Windows. I am guessing that you haven't told the printer what type of labels you are using in the printer preferences.
    In Windows, right click your DYMO 450 printer and select "Printing Preferences". On the layout tab clicked the "Advanced" button. You should have a dropdown for the Paper Size. Make sure "30330 Return Address" is selected.
    I am guessing that somehow the default paper type got changed. Let us know if that works or not. Good luck. :)

Reactions: jayv

jayv

ECF Veteran
    Apr 23, 2013
    nj usa
    @HotRod19579 is still MIA. How did you work with HotRod? On this thread? Through PM? Or some other way?

I don't see any real differences in your set up and the images HotRod has previously posted. The only thing I can think of is check you Windows Printer setup as HotRod described in this post:

I am guessing that somehow the default paper type got changed. Let us know if that works or not. Good luck. :)
    Man you saved me. Thank you so much!!!! I worked with Hotrod before he introduced this label. I advised him to get that printer and label. We worked through PM. He was great to work with. Really been missing him here.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Man you saved me. Thank you so much!!!!
    Does this mean you got it working correctly now?
    Really been missing him here.
    Yeah; you, me, and everybody else. I sure wish he would check in just to say he is okay (even if he needs further time away).

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    @IDJoel

From a few weeks ago in our discussion about the missing "save recipe" button, I am now the proud owner of a new Windows 10 desktop. Searched this thread a bit for an easy way of transferring the calculator and everything in it, but came up short. I did see where you are running Windows 10, so wondering if you have a suggestion for accomplishing the move without manually copying everything? Thanks for any suggestions!

PS: If it matters, I do have both computers running side by side for now.

Reactions: IDJoel

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
    Jan 18, 2016
    @IDJoel

From a few weeks ago

I just did something similar. You can use an ethernet cable between the 2 computers and copy the files directly from one to the other. There are a few settings that you will have to deal with on the Win 10 device, But will go very quickly.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    @IDJoel

From a few weeks ago in our discussion about the missing "save recipe" button, I am now the proud owner of a new Windows 10 desktop. Searched this thread a bit for an easy way of transferring the calculator and everything in it, but came up short. I did see where you are running Windows 10, so wondering if you have a suggestion for accomplishing the move without manually copying everything? Thanks for any suggestions!

I am NOT computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination; so I will yield to the wisdom of the rest of the replies (such as @Ed Sause' suggestion for Ethernet coupling).

I think, if you have used the program's default locations (meaning you didn't specify different folder/directory/drive destinations for the files during installation), then you should(?) just need to copy the folder labeled "Juice Calculator" found in the Documents folder, from the old computer to the new.

I also seem to recall @HotRod19579 mention something about using the Portable version of JC to make the transfer easily as well. Unfortunately, I have NO experience with the Portable version, so I can't help there either. I am so sorry! :(

Asking for help/suggestions from all Juice Calculator users:
    What is the best (easiest?) way to move/reinstall the program from one computer to another, when both are located in the same room, and retain all ingredients and recipes? @OlderNDirt is moving from an old Windows 7(?)laptop to a new Windows 10 laptop. Please be as detailed/thorough as you can with required steps and/or materials as possible (e.g. does Ethernet cable need to be serial or parallel?). Help a couple of old computer-challenged codgers out! Thank you bunches!!:thumbs:

Reactions: OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I just did something similar. You can use an ethernet cable between the 2 computers and copy the files directly from one to the other. There are a few settings that you will have to deal with on the Win 10 device, But will go very quickly.

Thanks, Ed! Trying to figure out all the nuances of Windows 10, not real comfortable figuring out what settings I would need to deal with and how. But will certainly revisit linking the computers if nothing else works out.

I think, if you have used the program's default locations (meaning you didn't specify different folder/directory/drive destinations for the files during installation), then you should(?) just need to copy the folder labeled "Juice Calculator" found in the Documents folder, from the old computer to the new.

I was able to copy/paste that file into documents on the new computer, but nothing shows up when opening the calculator. It may be that something needs to be added through the calculator to establish the link (thinking out loud). I might try adding one dummy ingredient, saving, then copying the original file back in.

I also saw a "restore from backup" option, so finally found where to set up backups. I saw no option to do an immediate backup (one a day the quickest), so set it to back up to a thumb drive and will wait until a file shows up. Don't know why I can't then do the "restore from backup" to the newly installed calculator on the new computer. But will still be watching this closely for better solutions.

Thanks to both for the help!

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    @OlderNDirt file > open > the file you copied over

it won't have all your preferences/settings but will have all your recipes so you will just need to reset your defaults/preferences, etc. I just got a new win 10 pc a few days ago and loaded my old win 10 juice xml file

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    :rickroll: Happy Dance! :rickroll:

I tried @Fozzy71's suggestion, but must have still missed something, maybe just forgot to hit save. :shock:

So I tried my backup/restore idea and looks like it was a full success except for the defaults/preferences. If anybody else was following this or bumps into it in the future, here is what I did:

I used a USB thumb drive in the old computer.
    In calculator on old computer I went to Tools>Options>Backup options, browsed for the thumb drive, selected that and clicked on "Save Defaults." Backup files showed up within an hour.
    Moved thumb drive to new computer and opened the newly installed calculator.
    Copied the file from thumb drive to This PC>Documents (tried doing the rest directly from the thumb drive and seemed to work, but all the recipes and ingredients disappeared when I removed the thumb drive....not sure if I just forgot to hit save in the calculator.)
    Went to File>Restore from Backups, browsed for the file in Documents, and clicked "Open."
    Closed that window and all the ingredients, recipes and notes were there. HIT SAVE! :D
    Closed and re-opened the calculator and all was still there!

This seems to have worked and took very little time. Doing my next mix session will be the final test, but can't imagine any problems.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Awesome @OlderNDirt,

Glad you got it working; and thanks for sharing such a detailed list of what you did!:thumbs: I think even a halfwit like myself could follow that. Great job!:D

Thanks! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

ETA: @IDJoel Just wanted to add that in the create recipe for base window, both save buttons are now there even though I have screen set to 125%. :w00t:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread