Status
Not open for further replies.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Well thats good news, I went ahead and tryed out the program. It's really nice! It has everything! Im just not 100% sure about one thing.

I ordered some DIY stuff, and I got 120ml of Nicotine in 12mg/ml. I added some flavors, Im pretty sure i got everything set up. But it says for a 30ml bottle of juice will require 15ml of Nic solution!
Does that sound right for a 70/30 vg/pg with 6mg nic??

It does sound right. To cut 12mg down to 6mg you cut it in half, which would equal half the bottle. You are doing it correctly :)

Reactions: Andromendous

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
It does sound right. To cut 12mg down to 6mg you cut it in half, which would equal half the bottle. You are doing it correctly :)

Yeah. In future it might be more convenient to get a stronger Nic solution, @Andromendous . I chose 72mg/ml and then I mix at 7.2mg because it's convenient: 10% of the final mix, meaning 5ml or 10ml as I rarely mix sizes other than 50ml or 100ml.

It depends what your flavours and Nic are mixed in - PG or VG. If they're both PG, as they often are, then just on Nic and flavours alone you're going to have around 60% PG with no way to have more than 40% VG.

If the Nic is mixed in VG then that's fine, as long as you'll always want at least 50% VG.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Yeah. In future it might be more convenient to get a stronger Nic solution, @Andromendous . I chose 72mg/ml and then I mix at 7.2mg because it's convenient: 10% of the final mix, meaning 5ml or 10ml as I rarely mix sizes other than 50ml or 100ml.

It depends what your flavours and Nic are mixed in - PG or VG. If they're both PG, as they often are, then just on Nic and flavours alone you're going to have around 60% PG with no way to have more than 40% VG.

If the Nic is mixed in VG then that's fine, as long as you'll always want at least 50% VG.
Thanks for the help guys, ya the nic i got is vg, and thats exactly whay i want, mainly vg, 70% or more. Ok, so in the future, ill probably get 100mg/ml unless you guys know of any reason not to[emoji4]

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
You can also get your nic in 50/50 to give you more options on PG/VG levels.
Thanks for the help guys, ya the nic i got is vg, and thats exactly whay i want, mainly vg, 70% or more. Ok, so in the future, ill probably get 100mg/ml unless you guys know of any reason not to[emoji4]

It is more economical to purchase 100mg which helps give even more cost savings. Even if the nic is 100% PG and the flavoring is at 20%, you can still get the 30/70 that you desire.

Edit: I know someone who buys their 100mg nic at 100% PG, uses 100% PG flavors and only adds VG. He does not purchase additional PG.

Reactions: TheBloke

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
You can also get your nic in 50/50 to give you more options on PG/VG levels.

It is more economical to purchase 100mg which helps give even more cost savings. Even if the nic is 100% PG and the flavoring is at 20%, you can still get the 30/70 that you desire.

Edit: I know someone who buys their 100mg nic at 100% PG, uses 100% PG flavors and only adds VG. He does not purchase additional PG.
Ok that sounds good. Ill never go less than 50/50 so i suppose 100mg based with pg would be the best choice? So i wont have to cut with as much pg correct?

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
The amount of PG and VG you choose is entirely up to you. But yes, you are correct.

I do suggest that when you purchase your 100mg nic, dispense some into a smaller bottle and put the rest in the freezer. It takes longer to get through 100mg. The more oxygen it is exposed to, the faster it begins to break down. The smaller bottle will prevent you from having to open the larger bottle a lot. The freezer will keep it stable so it lasts longer. If your nic is 100% PG, it will pour easier when cold for refills of your smaller bottle.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
The amount of PG and VG you choose is entirely up to you. But yes, you are correct.

I do suggest that when you purchase your 100mg nic, dispense some into a smaller bottle and put the rest in the freezer. It takes longer to get through 100mg. The more oxygen it is exposed to, the faster it begins to break down. The smaller bottle will prevent you from having to open the larger bottle a lot. The freezer will keep it stable so it lasts longer. If your nic is 100% PG, it will pour easier when cold for refills of your smaller bottle.

Do you have any figures on how long this process might take?

I bought a 500ml bottle of 72mg Nic about 2 months ago. I do my mixing from a separate 100ml bottle which I top-up as required from the 500ml, so I'm only going to the big bottle occasionally - I've opened it perhaps four times in that two month period.

However it's not frozen, it's just in my office. I did cover the bottle with thick tape, all the way round, as it wasn't completely opaque and I wanted to keep all light out. Then I keep it in on a dark shelf as well. But none of that helps with oxygen of course.

If we're talking many months to break down that's fine, but if it's much less than that maybe I need to start freezing as you say. I'm getting a little low on that bottle now so I was planning to restock soon, so that might be an opportunity to start.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA

Thank you for the info i would have never thought of that. So would it be worth it to so the same with big bottle of vg and my flavors?

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Do you have any figures on how long this process might take?

I bought a 500ml bottle of 72mg Nic about 2 months ago. I do my mixing from a separate 100ml bottle which I top-up as required from the 500ml, so I'm only going to the big bottle occasionally - I've opened it perhaps four times in that two month period.

However it's not frozen, it's just in my office. I did cover the bottle with thick tape, all the way round, as it wasn't completely opaque and I wanted to keep all light out. Then I keep it in on a dark shelf as well. But none of that helps with oxygen of course.

If we're talking many months to break down that's fine, but if it's much less than that maybe I need to start freezing as you say. I'm getting a little low on that bottle now so I was planning to restock soon, so that might be an opportunity to start.

You can get nic test kits to test your nic, but my personal experience has been that I noticed a 7mg drop (7%) in 100mg nic after 6 months at room temperature. To be fair, that bottle was open to dispense from dozens of times in that year so room air exposure had occurred each time. Once I started decanting the larger bottle into multiple small bottles and freezing it I have not noticed a drop in nic level for up to 13 months. I have not had a bottle last longer than that before empty.

But I digress and apologies to HotRod for going so far off topic.

Reactions: TheBloke

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Thank you for the info i would have never thought of that. So would it be worth it to so the same with big bottle of vg and my flavors?

Do not freeze your flavors. You will ruin them. Store in a cool dark place away from heat and light when not in use.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Is there a way to lock the recipes ? I have made to batches of juice that were horrible. Turns out some flavor percentages were changed by accident by my wife. I've looked thru everywhere but haven't found anything. Also what is the deactivated selection for in the ingredient editor.
Thanks
nodor
Did she also save the file?
If not the percentages should be back to normal after restarting the program.
I don't think there is a lock.
My wife has her own computer :)

Yah the file was saved. Most people might not have this problem but when the recipe has a lot of flavors and there is a scroll bar it is just automatic to roll the mouse wheel and if you have not clicked somewhere other than the recipe bar then you scroll thru recipes and haveta reaquire the recpe you wanted. If you click in a dead are your good to go. But if you happen to have clicked on a flavor value it scrolls with the mouse. If you don't see that and move to another recipe and make changes and save it your screwed. A good feature would be to have recipes locked by default with an unlock button. Even if I could disable mouse wheel scrolling all together it would be better.

Well I changed the registry key that controls wheel scrolling and rebooted. Now the mouse wheel doesn't scroll anything at all. So I figure this will do me fine. I can write a boot loader to diasble scrolling when juice calc runs and restore it when it closes. But that setting doesn't work inside juce calc. Dammed thing just scrolls anyway. Looks like I will have to live with it or wait for a solution by hotrod. Oh well LOL

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Well I changed the registry key that controls wheel scrolling and rebooted. Now the mouse wheel doesn't scroll anything at all. So I figure this will do me fine. I can write a boot loader to diasble scrolling when juice calc runs and restore it when it closes. But that setting doesn't work inside juce calc. Dammed thing just scrolls anyway. Looks like I will have to live with it or wait for a solution by hotrod. Oh well LOL
Just an FYI you can set Juice Calculator to back up the main file on exit. You can keep multiple copies too I think.
That way you'll always have a fall back if needed.

Just an FYI you can set Juice Calculator to back up the main file on exit. You can keep multiple copies too I think.
That way you'll always have a fall back if needed.
I had that set to backup weekly. I have now changed it to back up every time the program closes. Makes it easier to recover from a mistake. The real problem is that you don't necessarily know there is a mistake. If a flavor is changed from 4 to 6 percent its not really visable till you mix it and taste it. Whereas if it went from 4 to 20 you would probably spot it when mixing.

yooperdad

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2014
Marquette, MI
www.eyeflies.com
Hotrod, I think I just discovered an issue, or I don't know what I am doing ;) And it readily could be the later.

I just tried to Modify an existing recipe under Tools. The original was 60 mls and some has been used, so I lowered the Amount of Mix to start as 50ml and while doing that, all the ingredients were adding volume. If I added more of an ingredient, I got more volume still. During this I was treating the Target Amount as an unknown, so deleting the content, and also tried zero. Kept trying for a different result. Eventually discovered that after changing the Amount of Mix to 50, and clicking down the Target Amount also to 50, all seemed to be functional again.

Changing the Target Amount to be the same as the Amount of Mix is not intuitive, but appears to give the right results. Is that the way it is designed to work?

One more time, this is a fantastic tool and I sure appreciate all you have done with it.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Hotrod, I think I just discovered an issue, or I don't know what I am doing ;) And it readily could be the later.

I just tried to Modify an existing recipe under Tools. The original was 60 mls and some has been used, so I lowered the Amount of Mix to start as 50ml and while doing that, all the ingredients were adding volume. If I added more of an ingredient, I got more volume still. During this I was treating the Target Amount as an unknown, so deleting the content, and also tried zero. Kept trying for a different result. Eventually discovered that after changing the Amount of Mix to 50, and clicking down the Target Amount also to 50, all seemed to be functional again.

Changing the Target Amount to be the same as the Amount of Mix is not intuitive, but appears to give the right results. Is that the way it is designed to work?

One more time, this is a fantastic tool and I sure appreciate all you have done with it.

I agree that the “Target amount” on the “Modify recipe” window can be confusing or misleading.
The primary purpose of the Modify Recipe window is to take a juice that is already mixed and make adjustments to it. The adjustments might be nicotine level, PG/VG percentages or changes to the percentages of the other ingredients. Obviously in order to modify a juice (the amount specified by “Amount of mix”) you must add other ingredients to obtain the new levels.

If the “Target amount” is too low to obtain the new percentages, the target amount will be increased so that the new levels can be reached. When the target amount is increased an entry will be placed in the displayed log.

If the “Target amount” is higher than what is needed, additional amounts will be added to the recipe to reach the target amount while also keeping the nicotine, PG/VG and flavor percentages at the desired levels. I do not automatically lower the target amount, I assume that the user wants to make the amount specified.

It is kind-of a catch-22. As you adjust some of the percentages the target amount might be increased and then you change another percentage of another ingredient and the target amount could be decreased but I assume that you want to obtain the specified target amount.

What I always do is make all of my changes to the recipe (letting the target amount increase) and after I have made all of my adjustments to the ingredient percentages I then lower the “Target amount” to the lowest value that it will let me set. That way I reach my new levels, use all of the “Amount of mix” that I specified and I don’t make more juice than is needed to reach the specified values.

Maybe I could add a checkbox on the window. When checked the target amount will automatically be lowered when it is not needed to reach the new levels of the recipe. When unchecked, I will assume that the user wants to make the amount specified and not automatically lower the target amount.

Another option might be to NOT automatically calculate the recipe as you make changes. Add a “Calculate” button on the window and only do the calculations when you click the button. The target amount would remain unchanged until you have made all of your adjustments and then it would only increase if it is required to meet your final recipe values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread