Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakersvape

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2012
Lincoln, NE
Thanks for the reply. I tried exporting. I don't have Excel on my laptop so I exported open xml. I get an error. It says could not load file or assembly DocumentFormat.OpenXml, Version=2.5.5631.0 Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

What am I doing wrong?

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Thanks for the reply. I tried exporting. I don't have Excel on my laptop so I exported open xml. I get an error. It says could not load file or assembly DocumentFormat.OpenXml, Version=2.5.5631.0 Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

What am I doing wrong?

When I choose Tools > Export to Excel, I use the Open XML option below.

upload_2015-8-27_19-1-7.png

Some of my recipes are named in a way that throws this error.

upload_2015-8-27_19-2-47.png

But I am able to continue on and it opens the file. Do you get this far?

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
Another "Is there" question...
Is there a way to change all the specific gravitates to 1ml=1gm without going into each ingredient and manually entering them? Seem more people use that as a standard and not the actual specific gravity from the manufacturer...? Also is there a way to change all the inventory thresholds or like the specific gravity, is it something I will need to go in and change manually for items I already have (I know there is an option to have it set when adding new ingredients but I wasn't using that option when I first started using the program)?

Jakersvape

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2012
Lincoln, NE
When I choose Tools > Export to Excel, I use the Open XML option below.

View attachment 484479

Some of my recipes are named in a way that throws this error.

View attachment 484480

But I am able to continue on and it opens the file. Do you get this far?
I'm not getting that error. I tried it the same way you did, using the open xml option, then it gives me the error I listed above. I'm not sure why it won't let me export the list.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Another "Is there" question...
Is there a way to change all the specific gravitates to 1ml=1gm without going into each ingredient and manually entering them? Seem more people use that as a standard and not the actual specific gravity from the manufacturer...? Also is there a way to change all the inventory thresholds or like the specific gravity, is it something I will need to go in and change manually for items I already have (I know there is an option to have it set when adding new ingredients but I wasn't using that option when I first started using the program)?

Open the ingredient editor. Click the Grams/ml column label to sort. Select the first entry and change it to 1. Select that entry and choose Ctrl+c to copy. Select the next one down, drag down until you have all selected that you want to change. Press Ctrl+v to paste.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
I'm not getting that error. I tried it the same way you did, using the open xml option, then it gives me the error I listed above. I'm not sure why it won't let me export the list.

Did the former export save the file even though it couldn't open it? If not, start OpenXML, leave it open while you try another export. Your error looks like it is having trouble starting OpenXML.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
A special thanks for a smooth backup and restore - and for storing the backups in Documents. I spent all summer away from home getting inpatient physical therapy for an injury. When I got home both Windows and Norton wanted to install 3 months of updates at once. Long story short, I ended up having to revert my computer to how it was when I bought it, the rescue program deleted all programs but did save documents.

Almost two weeks later and I am now running Windows 10 a little sooner than I'd planned and have been reinstalling everything. Once I slapped Norton back enough to let me install Juice Calculator fresh all I had to do was restore a backup, and for this program I'm right where I was the week before I fell, including inventory nags. :D

Reactions: penguiness

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
A special thanks for a smooth backup and restore - and for storing the backups in Documents. I spent all summer away from home getting inpatient physical therapy for an injury. When I got home both Windows and Norton wanted to install 3 months of updates at once. Long story short, I ended up having to revert my computer to how it was when I bought it, the rescue program deleted all programs but did save documents.

Almost two weeks later and I am now running Windows 10 a little sooner than I'd planned and have been reinstalling everything. Once I slapped Norton back enough to let me install Juice Calculator fresh all I had to do was restore a backup, and for this program I'm right where I was the week before I fell, including inventory nags. :D
Thanks for the feedback and I am glad it worked.

FYI to others using the calculator. I think by default backups are turned off, a decision that I now question. I would recommend that everyone turn it on by going to "Tools->Options", backup tab, and turn them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks for the feedback and I am glad it worked.

FYI to others using the calculator. I think by default backups are turned off, a decision that I now question. I would recommend that everyone turn it on by going to "Tools->Options", backup tab, and turn them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed especially because it turned out that quite a few programs of different types store backups in the program folder. Both this manufacturer's recovery setup and quite a few backup programs only protect actual data folders, not the programs.

So I'm now the poster child for backing things up, in addition to the more serious one of always wearing a seat belt and making sure that you have good smoke detectors that have good batteries. (Well, only a little less serious. I have two involved civilization building games that I now need to start from scratch, and try to remember just how I did do some of the earlier levels.)

Diyguy

May 30, 2015
I've noticed that while changing the VG/PG percentage values on the main recipe page, that sometimes the ml and gram measurements next to the flavorings do not change, nor do the VG/PG values change to remain in balance with each other. They sometimes seem to get "stuck." Eventually, if I keep playing with the two values, the recipe amounts will start changing again. Makes me nervous about trusting the recipe values.

For example if you change PG, usually the VG will automatically change to balance. My fear is that when the values get stuck like this, that the recipe on the screen will have invalid values.

To re-create this, just play around with VG and PG percentages.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I've noticed that while changing the VG/PG percentage values on the main recipe page, that sometimes the ml and gram measurements next to the flavorings do not change, nor do the VG/PG values change to remain in balance with each other. They sometimes seem to get "stuck." Eventually, if I keep playing with the two values, the recipe amounts will start changing again. Makes me nervous about trusting the recipe values.

For example if you change PG, usually the VG will automatically change to balance. My fear is that when the values get stuck like this, that the recipe on the screen will have invalid values.

To re-create this, just play around with VG and PG percentages.
Go to "Tools->Options" and on the "General" tab uncheck Volume Calculation". When this is unchecked, PG+VG will always adjust to be 100%. When it is checked, PG+VG will only adjust if the sum is greater than 100%. I have several posts in this thread discussing the effect/purpose of "Volume Calculation" in detail but as a quick summary:
Most of the vaping community believes that PG + VG must always equal 100%, even if you add ingredients such as water. For instance, they want to know that their mix is 50/50 when they add 40ml of PG, 40ml of VG and 10ml of water. My calculator will tell you that it is 50/50 when you have the "Volume Calculation" unchecked. When you have it checked, the calculator will tell you that your mix is 45/45. Therefore I don't automatically adjust the PG/VG values when this option is checked because you may want to specify 45/45 as your PG and VG levels.​

You also mentioned that your "ml and gram measurements" did not change when changing to PG/VG percentages. I am guessing that you were seeing a warning message stating "Unable to add enough {PG or VG} for the desired level". You were probably requesting a percentage amount greater than the amount possible and therefore the ml and gram measurements couldn't change.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Go to "Tools->Options" and on the "General" tab uncheck Volume Calculation". When this is unchecked, PG+VG will always adjust to be 100%. When it is checked, PG+VG will only adjust if the sum is greater than 100%. I have several posts in this thread discussing the effect/purpose of "Volume Calculation" in detail but as a quick summary:
Most of the vaping community believes that PG + VG must always equal 100%, even if you add ingredients such as water. For instance, they want to know that their mix is 50/50 when they add 40ml of PG, 40ml of VG and 10ml of water. My calculator will tell you that it is 50/50 when you have the "Volume Calculation" unchecked. When you have it checked, the calculator will tell you that your mix is 45/45. Therefore I don't automatically adjust the PG/VG values when this option is checked because you may want to specify 45/45 as your PG and VG levels.​

You also mentioned that your "ml and gram measurements" did not change when changing to PG/VG percentages. I am guessing that you were seeing a warning message stating "Unable to add enough {PG or VG} for the desired level". You were probably requesting a percentage amount greater than the amount possible and therefore the ml and gram measurements couldn't change.

There is one other reason that your ml and gram measurements might not change (an example)
You have Volume Calculation checked.
You are making 100ml (no nicotine to keep it simple) with 10% flavor (PG based) and 50/50 PG/VG.
On the recipe page you have “VG” checked for the “precedence”.
The recipe will call for 10ml of flavor, 40ml of PG and 50ml of VG.

Now you lower the VG percentage to 30% and nothing changes. The reason nothing changes is because you need 10ml of the flavor for the 10% flavor requirement, you need 40ml of PG to make the 50% PG requirement and you need 30ml of VG for the 30% VG requirement totaling 80ml. The calculator still needs to add an additional 20ml of something to bring the volume to 100ml. Since you have “VG” checked for the “precedence” the calculator will add an additional 20ml of VG to bring the total volume to 100ml. This leaves your recipe at 50% VG even though you requested 30% VG.​
All of this is the effect of having "Volume Calculation" checked.

Diyguy

May 30, 2015

Here's the scenario that still has me scratching my head (with Vol Calc check marked):

1. Increase the VG on a recipe from 70% to 75%. The ml and gr values of PG and VG update as expected. No errors, as you're still within acceptable range.

2. Now, change the VG BACK to the original 70%. The recipe values DON'T change back. ??? Why is this? VG is now listed at 70% in the editable field, but the recipe still reflects the 75% in the Total % column and bottom summary. The user now mixes what he thinks is a 70/30 batch, but gets a 75/25 mix.

3. This state is saved, and reappears when the recipe is loaded again later. Unless the user keeps a close eye out, he could mix the wrong percentage.

Unchecking Volume Calculation resolved the issue, but with it checked (as default) the ingredient values don't update in the above scenario. Is this expected?

I guess I can leave Volume Calculation unchecked... I don't add anything but VG, PG, and flavors (no water, etc). I'll look up some of the previous posts. Thanks.

EDIT: I see after re-reading your message that the VG/PG percents will adjust only when their sum is > 100%. Ok... I guess that's what I'm seeing. I guess as long as I have Volume Calculation unchecked I'm good. I realize this isn't a beginner's program, but it seems that with Vol. Calc. check marked as the default, newbies to the program (like me) may encounter this and be confused.

EDIT2: With "Volume Calculation" checked, The VG/PG percentage behavior that I'm dwelling on can be avoided by only INCREASING percentages of either VG or PG, never decreasing them. As long as I remember to do that, everything updates and stays in sync, so to speak. I think I'll leave Vol. Calc. check marked. :) Sorry to belabor this. I like the program a lot! Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread