Not open for further replies.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Hi all,
I hope I'm not out of place here, but I am a stone-cold, brand-new, rookie to the Recipe Calculator. I just downloaded the V6.0.2.3 zip from Dropbox about two hours ago.
I was trying to use the "Tools" to import all my juice Grinder files and ran into a snag. I started seeing this:
View attachment 508684

I tried to do my due diligence and searched this thread for "juice Grinder" (two hits; not pertinent) and "grindx" and ".grndx" (both no hits). I also gave a quick read through all the included Dropbox texts to no avail. Didn't know where to try next so I am now asking for help.

I'm not sure if I am simply doing something wrong or, if the fact that JG has gone through at least 3 different file format changes (in the 6 months that I have been using it) and I have had to "convert" my files to the new format (though the format remains ".grindx") has something to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any help any can offer.

Just as a possible work-around, can you open the file in Juice Grinder and export it to XML? Their home page has this bullet point "Export to PDF, CSV, and various Spreadsheet formats (Spreadsheet export requires Microsoft Excel)". It might be too tedious to do all your recipes but could get what you need to mix now imported.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you HotRod. It looks like a great tool and really fills a lot of the short-comings of the other calculators. I am excited to plug in my database and see exactly what I can do with it. And, thank you too, for all the great documentation you took the time and effort to put together. It really looks like you have put your heart and soul into this project. I appreciate all your hard work. :thumbs:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Just as a possible work-around, can you open the file in Juice Grinder and export it to XML? Their home page has this bullet point "Export to PDF, CSV, and various Spreadsheet formats (Spreadsheet export requires Microsoft Excel)". It might be too tedious to do all your recipes but could get what you need to mix now imported.

Thanks Penguiness; I hadn't thought about that. But with 150+ recipes, and I still need to input the 100ish flavors and estimate volumes and guestimate pricing, so I'll wait patiently until HotRod has time to update (I certainly have enough to keep me busy ;).) I can still mix existing recipes from JG and any new creations I will just directly input in Recipe Calculator.
I appreciate you helping to troubleshoot my problem.

Reactions: penguiness

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 6.0.3.0 is available. Changes include:
1. When importing ingredients and recipes from the starter kit the ingredients are now sorted based on your "View->Display Ingredient/Manufacturer" value.
2. Added the ability to import the latest version of the Juice Grinder files.
3. Made some changes to the primary window to allow more ingredients to display without scrolling.

On the 3rd change, you will notice a bar labeled "Notes/Results/Warnings" with an arrow button on the right side. This will allow you to collapse and expand this area of the window providing more room to display ingredients.
I also added the same bar labeled "Filter recipes by" to allow that area to be collapsed and expanded.

Please provide feedback on the collapsing change. If it is not liked I will try to come up with another mechanism to display more ingredients.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I took a quick look at the collapse change - I like it. It should make mixing sessions much easier without the scrolling and easy restore to make any notes afterwards. I'll give it a test drive this weekend. Thank you!
You can still have your notes showing. Click the button next to the notes and a separate window opens showing your notes. After the notes are showing, collapse the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
You can still have your notes showing. Click the button next to the notes and a separate window opens showing your notes. After the notes are showing, collapse the window.

Thanks for the reminder about that option. I'm looking forward to my next mixing session and being able to easily double check that my flavors are all lined up in order and then getting to work rather than scrolling back and forth. :thumb:

and thank you for an awesome calculator. I keep growing into it and taking advantage of more and more features. It was easy to use from the start as I converted from other calculators, but it just keeps getting better.

Reactions: Redbellie

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
I started DIY last week. :)

I checked out several of the software options. Since using this one I have not touched the others. It has made my adventure into DIY painless. It is a GREAT program. As a developer myself, I really like the attention that Rod is giving to his feedback. I was more than happy to send a donation, and shame on you if you can afford it and don't donate. It's that good!

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
HotRod
This version is great! Automatically picked up all my ingredients and recipes. I like the layout and the collapsible areas. I have a couple of suggestions. Don't know if they're possible or wanted:

When importing recipes from the Starter Kit it adds the recipes' ingredients to the inventory? Over time (not too much lately) I'll forget if I already have that ingredient or need to get it. Can 'New' ingredients be tagged somehow so that we'll know we need to get them?

Would it be possible to have and expanding/collapsing window on the side that would list the ingredient inventory so that it's readily available? Or is that redundant with the existing pull-down?

Thanks so much for tweaking this great tool. It's helped me tremendously.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
HotRod
This version is great! Automatically picked up all my ingredients and recipes. I like the layout and the collapsible areas. I have a couple of suggestions. Don't know if they're possible or wanted:

When importing recipes from the Starter Kit it adds the recipes' ingredients to the inventory? Over time (not too much lately) I'll forget if I already have that ingredient or need to get it. Can 'New' ingredients be tagged somehow so that we'll know we need to get them?

Would it be possible to have and expanding/collapsing window on the side that would list the ingredient inventory so that it's readily available? Or is that redundant with the existing pull-down?

Thanks so much for tweaking this great tool. It's helped me tremendously.

Set an alarm threshold in your defaults. That way, any new ingredient will alarm and trigger an appearance in your shopping list if there is not enough in inventory.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I would try to read through this thread to get the answer but it's too dang long.
I have entered the gravity weight of all my ingredients. I have created a recipe but I do not see the weight percentage anywhere.

Go to Tools->Options, on the Recipe tab there is a checkbox labeled "Don't show grams". Make sure it is unchecked.
Also on the General tab is an option for preferred mixing method. This will highlight the column chosen when displaying or printing recipes.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Go to Tools->Options, on the Recipe tab there is a checkbox labeled "Don't show grams". Make sure it is unchecked.
Also on the General tab is an option for preferred mixing method. This will highlight the column chosen when displaying or printing recipes.

Awesome. Thanks so much.

Version 6.0.3.0 is available. Changes include:
1. When importing ingredients and recipes from the starter kit the ingredients are now sorted based on your "View->Display Ingredient/Manufacturer" value.
2. Added the ability to import the latest version of the Juice Grinder files.
3. Made some changes to the primary window to allow more ingredients to display without scrolling.

On the 3rd change, you will notice a bar labeled "Notes/Results/Warnings" with an arrow button on the right side. This will allow you to collapse and expand this area of the window providing more room to display ingredients.
I also added the same bar labeled "Filter recipes by" to allow that area to be collapsed and expanded.

Please provide feedback on the collapsing change. If it is not liked I will try to come up with another mechanism to display more ingredients.

I like the collapsing of sections,this works great for my complex recipes so i can see all the ingredients . Thank you for all the great work you have done to bring us a great calculator.

I'm not sure if I just can't find the option or if it's not there, but is there an option to print all recipes? I know I can print individual recipes. Its not a big deal but wanted to ask before i go printing each one.

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I like the collapsing of sections,this works great for my complex recipes so i can see all the ingredients . Thank you for all the great work you have done to bring us a great calculator.

I'm not sure if I just can't find the option or if it's not there, but is there an option to print all recipes? I know I can print individual recipes. Its not a big deal but wanted to ask before i go printing each one.
I just made an update, V6.0.3.1, which now has an option to print all recipes, File->Print all recipes. Keep in mind that it will print 1 or more pages per recipe so if you have a lot of recipes it will be a large printout.

Also, the vendor I pay to host my website (HostGator) appears to be having issues. I noticed that I had to wait a while before I could auto-update the calculator. The website appears to be going up and down. A trouble ticket has been opened.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
This is great! I got a new Goblin Mini and tried it out with a TC build. Problem was that all the juices I've made are 50/50 12mg strong menthol's, wrong for this atty lol... (believe me, I tried it)

I took 4ml of my Tangerine Ice and dumped a bunch of this, touch of that and no menthol at all to try and make 10ml of a cut down juice. Nailed it first try!

Luckily I kept good notes on what I added so I made a new recipe of the added items and used the "Combine Recipes" feature to make a new recipe just for the Goblin (i call it Tangerine Smooth). The combined recipe made a 4.5mg NIC 35/65 (pg/vg) mix with 1/4 of the menthol, peppermint, koolada and it tastes great in the Goblin...

This calculator never ceases to amaze me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread