new charger or new mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgusMcJohnsten

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2015
I have a Vamo in the mail, since I already have 18650s and a beast of a charger from when I was into radio control. The wife just informed me we're going on vacation for a week, woohoo. My charger is a but bulky and requires a separate power supply.

So, now I'm stuck between buying a new charger that I only see myself using when we go away, or a cheap box mod with battery (like an mvp 2) that I would probably get more use out of, but it's a little more money than the charger would be.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Get the charger. You'll use it.

Then get a back up mod later. You're probably going to anyway.

Might I suggest an xtar charger from the vp line? You won't find anything better for vaping batteries.

A little about me...

I parallel charge my RC lipos @ 30 amps.

I have all the best/most recommended chargers for vaping besides pila.

I use xtar when I need quality, accuracy and reliability.

Tapatyped

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I have heard that XSTAR makes a good charger, but the VC2 only supplies 0.5A charging current. A high-drain 18650 can support 1A. I would look for a charger that can supply 1A.
I haven't had issue with my LUC v4 that I have been using for about a year now. It has output current selection up to 2A, charges 4 batteries, has a big LCD, stops current to the batteries at 4.2 volt and does not overcharge. It passes my requirements.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Okay then, charger it is. I was looking at the xtar vc2. Is this one decent? Any others I should look into?
Vp1
Vp2
Vp4

Excellent chargers. Top of the line with full feature set.

Vc2 is nice. Don't need more than 500ma charging current anyway. I vape at 80 watts and charge at half that sometimes.

But you will need to purchase a wall wart and car adapter separately whereas the vp lineup includes them.

The entire vp and vc lineups are more accurate than the efest luc and more forgiving on the sliders as well.

The luc is a good charger. Just not as good as my xtars. Not as versatile either with the 500ma minimum charge current.

Tapatyped

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I just ordered an Xtar VP4 from an eBay store. It's the best price/shipping I have found.

Items in Vaposeum store on eBay!

ETA:

neener_ani.gif

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Another vote for Xtar.. I bought a Nitecore D2 back last November as an 'upgrade' to my 'cheapo' Xtar MC2. After a couple of months the Nitecore decided it wasnt going to fully charge my batteries anymore.. Around the same time I began to notice all of the complaints about them start surfacing as well.. Started using my MC2 again (has no display just a red/green light to let you know its done), and pulled out the multimeter a few times to check my batteries, and it was still doing its job exactly as it should. The D2 only gets used to charge my old rechargable AAs now (the whole reason I bought it was to do both my vape and mouse/wiimote/remote batteries)..

The VPs are their 'top of the line'.. The VCs look pretty cool but as mentioned dont come with a wall wart. My next one is going to be the VC4 probably since it also does AA/AAA batteries and Ive already got a nice Samsung 2A power supply from my tablet that works fine. Itll charge at 1A as well but only 2 batteries at a time which is fine by me. Would love the VP4 but Im back in a position where I have extremely limited funding so every penny counts hehe.

Efest cant be trusted as far as their battery ratings and specs are concerned, so personally I wont even bother giving their chargers a chance either.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Efest cant be trusted as far as their battery ratings and specs are concerned, so personally I wont even bother giving their chargers a chance either.

True.

And I don't own any of their batteries.

But after xtar and pila, the luc chargers are actually next in line for top of the line performance.

I followed the testers/reviewers and searched for months to make sure I was only buying the best after my nitecore chargers. That's how I wound up with the luc and a small assortment of xtars.

Tapatyped

ArgusMcJohnsten

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2015
I went with the VP2 for $22 from OriginVape, I really couldn't pass it up. After some more thought, I see myself using this more than my r/c charger, just for convenience.

@DanJiblets That was my original thought too, but as I just said, I see myself getting more use out of the charger. Next purchase is flavors to start with diy.

ArgusMcJohnsten

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2015
Got the charger yesterday. Fast service for free shipping, included a jolly rancher and a thank you hand written on the invoice. I don't have privileges to post in the reviews forum, so I left it here.

Charger works great, charged a battery on .25A, been vaping away last night and today on 100% VG (waiting on payday to get some flavors)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Got the charger yesterday. Fast service for free shipping, included a jolly rancher and a thank you hand written on the invoice. I don't have privileges to post in the reviews forum, so I left it here.

Charger works great, charged a battery on .25A, been vaping away last night and today on 100% VG (waiting on payday to get some flavors)
Just a heads up... The voltage switch belongs on the middle choice in case you didn't know.

Congrats on the new charger.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread