New EVOD 2 arrived in the mail today (pics and opinion/'review')

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshneedham

Feb 21, 2014
Chicago, IL
Well, my order from kangertechus.com arrived today, an evod 2 and a protank airflow controller. The airflow controller is pretty much just an aerotank base, and using it on a protank 2 works as expected. The news here is the evod 2, which I haven't seen for sale anywhere besides the kangertech US website. It's a bit taller than the regular evod, and the build is much heavier and substantial feeling. Due to the metal around the tank portion, I can't tell if its glass or if its just a heavier nicer plastic. What's weird is the pictures on kanger's sites show two different new products; the evod 2 which is dual coil and a new(er) looking design, and the 'evod glass' which looks much more like the old evod but with changeable metal drip tip and single coil head. I ordered the 'evod 2', as it was all that was available to order, and what I got seems to have characteristics of both things I saw. The design looks like the 'evod glass' I saw, but inside is a dual coil which is different than protank/evod heads (I don't have a PT3 or dual coil heads to compare them to, maybe it is the same head as those but I don't know). Anyways, the bases are the same and interchangeable, the only difference being the new one says 'EVOD2'. Both the old single and the new dual coils fit fine on the base, and I was able to use the evod 2 base with an old evod coil in my evod and no problems, and vice versa. However, the evod 1 coil is too short to work in the 2, and doesn't seal. Trying to use the evod 2 coil in the evod or protank didn't work either, the coil is too long and there wasn't even a way to get close to threading it on. The removable drip tip isn't bad, but I found the evod 2 looks really nice with a straighter one. As for how it vapes? Here's the problem. I filled it up, put my drip tip on it, put it on my evic, and it reads 1.5ohms, as it should. I press the fire button and try to take a draw and nothing. NO airflow. None. So I take everything apart, make sure its all threaded properly, and try again, this time not tightening the device on as much. Still hardly any airflow. I loosened it so much that it was hardly making contact with the evic, and I had to hold it down to get a vape out of it, and there still was not nearly enough airflow. The vape I got from it was nice and thick and flavorful though. (80pg/20vg, 6mg at 8watts) Tomorrow I'm going to try it on an ego battery to make sure my evic isn't to blame. To the experts out there, any ideas? For ~$6, I guess not all is lost, the included drip tip looks great on my IGO-L :) Heres some pics:
vmwxhl.jpg

1zc0b2p.jpg

k3rn2a.jpg

263xysh.jpg

ke9ct3.jpg

ebbhqs.jpg

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
The coil looks identical to my Aero dual coils.

Two things to check about airflow...

The three tiny holes on the base are not plugged...

and

At the very bottom of the coil itself there is a steel pin then a silicone grommet. I've heard that the pin can squish the grommet and restrict airflow. I would try another coil and see if you still have an airflow issue. If that works then the first coil is crap.

One other FYI... the dual coil heads take a few seconds longer to heat up then single coils. It took me some time to adjust to the delay. Also those coils are totally rebuildable if you are into that and (IMO) work much better as single microcoils!

Aeromicro1.jpg
Aeromicro2.JPG

joshneedham

Feb 21, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the tips, it was squished and I adjusted it a little, put it on, and got much better airflow. Then, I tried taking another drag and 'pop' followed by no vapor and my evic reading 'atomizer short'. I took the coil apart and it had popped/broken. Oh well, I guess I'll pick up some PT3 coils and try them out. Too bad the b&m I go to doesn't have 1.5ohm like this one that popped.
The coil looks identical to my Aero dual coils.

Two things to check about airflow...

The three tiny holes on the base are not plugged...

and

At the very bottom of the coil itself there is a steel pin then a silicone grommet. I've heard that the pin can squish the grommet and restrict airflow. I would try another coil and see if you still have an airflow issue. If that works then the first coil is crap.

One other FYI... the dual coil heads take a few seconds longer to heat up then single coils. It took me some time to adjust to the delay. Also those coils are totally rebuildable if you are into that and (IMO) work much better as single microcoils!

View attachment 310206
View attachment 310207

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread