New from the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChirpyJohn

Jan 18, 2017
Hi all, this looks like a good place to be to find any help needed.

I'm relatively new to vaping only started in September '16 and went straight for the eleaf power 80w with built in battery and a kangertech nano sub tank. It's quite quickly turned into a passion of mine and have felt the need to upgrade today to a Smok G320 Marshal and Baby Beast TFV8 sub tank :D the problem being I've never had a mod that's required external batteries, so not had a chance to use it.

If anyone can offer advice on the best batteries that would be awesome, if you are unfamiliar with the mod it is a multi battery configuration mod: Using 2 batteries maximum 220w, 3 batteries it's 320w.

No where on the net or in the manuals does it say what the recommended spec for the batteries are :( and the more I look into it the more indecisive I become. There seems to be an amazing thread by a user Mooch but I can't ask the question on there yet.

ChirpyJohn

Jan 18, 2017
Hey,

What sort of wattage will you be using the device at?

Are you wanting long battery life or high power?

I go for lower wattage (I have a 220W mod but only use it around 40W) and long battery life so went for the 3000mha Samsung 30Qs.
According to the sub tank coils I need to be operating between 80-150W anything less no vape or taste anything more either depending on the coil takes it out of range.

The four coils available for the tank have specified W: 50-140W, 90-150W, 110-150W & 120-180W.

I was thinking 90-110W might be the sweet spot but won't know until I get some power and give it a go :)

Battery charge is very important

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Ahhhhh Smok Baby, ignore the recommendations on the side. I have 2 Baby's and a Big Baby, I only go to about half the recommended when using the Smok Coils. They are rated wayyy to high.

With a two 20amp batteries you are safe up to 110W (That's roughly drawing 19amp per battery) but your battery life wont be great.

I'd start around 35W then work your way up until you are happy.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
image-jpeg.600623

ChirpyJohn

Jan 18, 2017
Ahhhhh Smok Baby, ignore the recommendations on the side. I have 2 Baby's and a Big Baby, I only go to about half the recommended when using the Smok Coils. They are rate

With a two 20amp batteries you are safe up to 110W (That's roughly drawing 19amp per battery) but your battery life wont be great.

Ahhhhh Smok Baby, ignore the recommendations on the side. I have 2 Baby's and a Big Baby, I only go to about half the recommended when using the Smok Coils. They are rated wayyy to high.

That's awesome thank you

Reactions: CoreyDog

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Hello @ChirpyJohn. Welcome to ECF!, glad to have you here with us.

A very important thing to understand with external cells and regulated mods is your wattage determins the amp draw from your batteries, atomiser resistance is ignored on a regulated mod.

This stops us venting our batterys (not a good thing to happen).

We calculate amp draw from 18650s with this quick method:

Watts(+10% for mod ineffency)÷mod cutoff voltage= Amps drawn

So if we wanted to calculate a 20amp cell in your device:

66(60+10%)÷3.2(most mods cut off at this voltage)=20amps

So on TWO 20amp 18650 cells you can safely goto 120watts (60wattsx2cells)
On THREE cells 180watts (60wattsx3cells)

You mentioned 110watt in a previous post so I would choose LG HG2's for battery run time and on three batterys you can safely go up to 180watts giving you plenty of room to go up wattage wise and not have to worry about battery venting.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all, this looks like a good place to be to find any help needed.
I'm relatively new to vaping only started in September '16 and went straight for the eleaf power 80w with built in battery and a kangertech nano sub tank. It's quite quickly turned into a passion of mine and have felt the need to upgrade today to a Smok G320 Marshal and Baby Beast TFV8 sub tank :D the problem being I've never had a mod that's required external batteries, so not had a chance to use it.
If anyone can offer advice on the best batteries that would be awesome, if you are unfamiliar with the mod it is a multi battery configuration mod: Using 2 batteries maximum 220w, 3 batteries it's 320w.
No where on the net or in the manuals does it say what the recommended spec for the batteries are :( and the more I look into it the more indecisive I become. There seems to be an amazing thread by a user Mooch but I can't ask the question on there yet.
Welcome and glad you joined. Hope the following helps.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blo Biscottig-entry/12-deeper-understanding-of-mod-batteries-part-i.5163/
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

Reactions: ChirpyJohn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread