Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The thing is if you stick with a reputable maker like Dekang, you're getting a more controlled liquid than a lot of US manufacturers. I've been using Dekang for 4 years now and have had no problems, the problem I have with US makers is they won't let you see their lab, the Chinese do: Chinese E-liquid Manufacturing Facilities - YouTube
If you actually do the research, about 80% of all ecig supplies are manufactured in China, that's where it was invented and all started. A lot of us that started 4 or more years ago and most of the rest of the world have no problem using chinese goods.

What he said. ^

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Diagnosis of COPD is what led me to ecig and then to this forum. Thought I would be one of those die hard still smoking to the last breath people because giving up nicotine was proving to be too damn hard. I vap as much as I smoked, I inhale totally and love a throat hit and will smoke my ecig in a way to give me a huge throat hit. Recently had a cat scan and lungs are in better shape, I am not short of breath anymore and my 35 yr old cough is gone!

I am kind of astonished at the response. What a wonderful, supportive community this must be.
Here is the skinny: I am 63, have smoked cigarettes for 40 years, quit once majorly for 2+ plus years, had a personal tragedy and decided I didn't care anymore and went back to smoking. Had asthma all this time. Lung function obviously deteriorating over last year, was diagnosed with COPD in June, stopping using tobacco. But miss it. Nic Patch helped, have "graduated" as it were. Don't wake up craving a smoke, but as the day wears on, need something. Therefore, Ecigs. But, at this point, am afraid to inhale. I take Spiriva for COPD, Quvar amd Albuterol for asthma. I know none of you are physicians, but, in your experience, is inhaling an Ecig likely to .... me

up? Sorry to sound crude, but I seek advice from my own kind.

Thank you.

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
There area couple vape shops in Denver if you care to see some available choices in person. I went to a store called Vaporleaf and the staff was very helpful and they have a good selection of kits and e-liquids but their hours are limited. There is a list of B&M stores (Brick and Mortor) here on ECF.

Thank you. I will check out Vaporleaf.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
i am rather astonished at the outpouring of response.

Would anyone care to recommend a source than other than my current one? (V2 cigs). I only went there because someone recommenced it.

Many thanks in advance.

paddy

Hello Iman :))) and welcome to the forum.

First of all, nobody here can tell for sure what vaping does to COPD. Period. Not even your doc--vaping is a new phenomenon so I recommend using caution (and common sense).

If you can vape without inhaling, like you would smoke a cigar or a pipe, that would be ideal. You don't want anything in our lungs that might further irritate them.

If you can't do it, try to choose eliquids that are not flavored at all, or at least flavored very lightly, and contain mostly PG, as PG has been studied for quite some time and proven to be safe for inhalation. Avoid dark, sweet juices and any juices that contain a lot of additives and colorings and known lung irritants like cinnamon, for example. Food flavorings and colorings, albeit safe for human consumption, have not been evaluated for safety in inhalation.

Vapor is not just "water vapor"--it's a myth. If you want to see some studies about e-cigarette vapor and what it contains, plese check this compilation from CASAA:

Lab Reports: ecigarettes

Your V2 kit is kr808 D-1 threaded so I suggest you get some kr808 blank cartomizers or clearomizers and learn how to fill them yourself with the eliquid of your choosing. Kr808D-1 blank cartomizers are widely available. Also, get a bottle of unflavored nicotine base in your preferred strength and try it--it's not so bad. I vape unflavored often. You can also use that base to thin out other flavored juices to dilute those colorings and sweeteners and flavorings.

Good luck and happy vaping!

Last edited:

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas
First welcome to ECF.

Congrats on quitting the cigarettes---stick with it.

I am 66 yrs old and have had COPD for several years, but it didn't really bother me much until a couple of years ago and my shortness of breath was getting noticeably worse. Now I smoked for over 50 years and quitting just did not seem possible to me---until I tried vaping---been over a year now. I quit cigarettes the same day I started vaping and have not had any desire for a cigarette since then.

I can now smell and taste things. My shortness of breath is better (but will never go away--til I die). Actually have gained 10 ibs (have always been thin)
Is inhaling with vaping okay? I doubt it, but is a heck of a lot better than tobacco and it hasn't made my COPD any worse (YMMV)

Again congrats--only you will know for sure if the inhaling is okay for you as far as making you fell worse. Stick with it.

Good Luck!!

Edited to add: I DIY my juices so I know what's in them:2cool:

Last edited:

V_lestat

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
check out halocigs.com

they make two systems, the G6 cartridge system like Blue ecigs you find everywhere which come in prefilled or empty which you fill and a clear tank system which most people here use. called the Triton
the clear tank and refillable catridges allow you to buy your own liquids.
The G6 has a blank tank you can refill but the wick and coil is nonreplaceable so you spend $4 on a tank you can only refill a few times. so i didnt recommend that.
You can use the same large capacity triton battery for both the G6 and Triton so that is another reason to use the Triton.

they also sell some pretty awesome juices, Tribeca, Torque56 (i suggest starting with Torque as it is a rather light flavor but not so light you cant feel it or taste it, plus it mixes very well with Halo's SubZero super menthol juice to make your own custom menthol level), and several premixed spectacular menthol flavors along with other types.
SubZero is like smoking the strongest menthol cig you could imagine, super duper icy cool.

they are more expensive than pretty much everyone else and use a proprietary system but for a first time starter kit, you cant go wrong.
spend the money on their Triton or G6 starter kit (get the triton) and buy a few 5ml bottles of various juices and see what you like and dont like.
Plus unlike many other systems they are not confusing tank systems. its a tank a wick and a battery, thats it. and you buy it direct from them so there isnt much to be confused about. Triton or G6 thats it...
the other guys may make superior performing products but they have way too many parts and way too many places to buy them from and frankly its a big confusing mess.
i still dont know what to get from those other guys. lol. thats why i keep using Halo.

you might even message someone like bernie and see if you could buy some of his liquids in small amounts to see if you can handle what he uses since he suffers from COPD also.
if he is willing to do that.

I do not know what mixure level Halo uses but it may be 50/50 given the vapor (smoke) production their juices give off. (the more VG the more cloud that is produced)

if you are confused by halo let me know and i can "walk you through" some options.

i would start with this. and choose the 650Mah battery option.
1) Jet Black | Triton Tank System Starter Kit | Halo Cigs
2) then get the Torque56 in 5ml 18mg nicotine strength (you can try 24mg if you were a heavy smoker and need a high level nic fix)
3) if you enjoy it but get tired of charging the battery and want a single battery for all day get this battery in 900 or 1300mah
(two 650mah batteries in the kit and you being the only one to use it will easily last you all day and probably all night if all you do is smoke every few hours or once an hour)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I don't know what you are talking about, honestly Choose eliquids. Blank cartomizers. Unflavored nicotine. I really appreciate your response, but I don't know how to go about what you are suggesting,

Kr808 LR blank cartomizers:

http://www.litecigusa.net/KR808d_1_Premium_LOW_RESISTANCE_SOFT_CAP_Blank_Car_p/premlrkrblankcart.htm

Kr808 clearomizers:

Kanger 808D-1T4 Clearomizer

Unflavored nicotine base--vapable as is or mixed with other ejuices:

Flavorless Liquid

Another source--choose your nic strength, PG/VD ratio, bottle size:

Unflavored - $5.20 : deejStuff eLiquid, The Apocalypse can wait...

V_lestat

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Your V2 kit is kr808 D-1 threaded so I suggest you get some kr808 blank cartomizers or clearomizers and learn how to fill them yourself with the eliquid of your choosing. Kr808D-1 blank cartomizers are widely available. Also, get a bottle of unflavored nicotine base in your preferred strength and try it--it's not so bad. I vape unflavored often. You can also use that base to thin out other flavored juices to dilute those colorings and sweeteners and flavorings.

Good luck and happy vaping!

good catch Katya, i guess i forgot he had some sort of system in place already.

so yeah forego the halo if you wish, but do check out their liquids or unflavored base liquid, and just upgrade your K808d-1 system
you already have invested money so why spend a ton more on something completely different.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
other studies have shown that propylene glycol, the source of the e-cigarettes’ visible vapor,

from the way I understood the different ingredients, Propylene glycol is the element that causes TH and vegetable glycerine what causes the the vapor clouds....?

did I misunderstand that?

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I don't know what you are talking about, honestly Choose eliquids. Blank cartomizers. Unflavored nicotine. I really appreciate your response, but I don't know how to go about what you are suggesting,

Iman, there is a lot to learn. You can check out the ECF Library. Here's the first of 6 parts that gives you an overview to help you learn the basics. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/36180-wonderful-world-vaping-illustrated-guide-e-cigs-part-1-6-a.html

Simplistically, eliquids are what you put in your ecig to vape, blank cartomizers are what you put the eliquid into to vape it and you can get your eliquid with no flavor added, if you are concerned about what could be in the flavoring, and nicotine.

Good luck. I have allergy induced asthma. I've been vaping for over a month and I'm breathing better. I think my lungs are happy that they're not getting irritated by smoke any more.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
from the way I understood the different ingredients, Propylene glycol is the element that causes TH and vegetable glycerine what causes the the vapor clouds....?

did I misunderstand that?

Yes. That's why most people use a mixture of both; I like 80/20 or 70/30 PG/VG ratio. I don't tolerate 100% VG at all.

marshbunny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
NE GA, USA
I very much appreciate the responses. I would like to hear from those of you who have COPD, and what your experience has been re vaping. I just went outside and vaped, and inhaled, and it felt wonderful. Sorry, addict to addict. Am I compromising my already compromised health by doing this? Yes, I know you are not MD's. Just, what do you think, from your experience?

Welcome to ECF. You had asked for someone with COPD to chime in.

Last August my physician sent me to the hospital for a Pulmonary Function Test, CT scan and Stress Test. I got the call two weeks later with the results of the PFT - I was diagnosed with severe COPD near/at the emphysema stage. I was shocked. I am a small female, very energetic and only recently started noticing some shortness of breath. I had smoked 1-2 packs a day for 40 years but had cut down to 5-8 cigs a day for the last 7 years and used additional add-on filters. I thought I was in great shape for my age (62).

While discussing the diagnosis I asked my doctor about vaping. He was not familiar with it, so I explained as best I could. He said he didn't think there should be a problem due to the ingredients, as long as the nicotine is kept low (restricts blood vessels). Like a lot of long time smokers I had tried a long list of ways to quit over a very long time, but had only managed to cut down to the 5-8 daily. I am ashamed to say that I thought that cutting off my right arm would have been easier. Since starting vaping, I have had NO desire to smoke regular cigarettes (almost 60 days now), and I am so glad I discovered it and this forum. This forum is a great place to ask for information and explanation.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I find PG to be an irritant, and also nic and/or flavorings. The nic is a bit "peppery" by itself. So lower amounts are probably better. Another thing is you don't have to think of this nic addiction thing as "only one solution". Some people could use various forms of nic in combination as along as they know the warning signs of excessive nic.

Too much VG is a concern for the "fatty deposits" issue quoted previously...however, there are many here on this forum using 100% VG and not having problems. Also, I don't think a good study was done on the woman's e-juice content. So my concerns may just be reacting to bad news reports and/or isolated incidents. But I'd stay with more PG even if it's a bit harsher than VG since PG is better understood. That's not to say if it gives you a reaction you should keep using it.

Also, you should be on COPD medication...it will reduce the inflammation and slow progression. At least get a rescue inhaler. Problem with all that is it's expensive...prohibitively for some.

Caffeine is another thing that helps asthma. So don't change your current caffeine consumption unless recommended by your doctor.

Unflavored juice will probably give you fewer problems. Or try DIY so you can mix and match and experiment.

In the end, e-cigs may or may not be for you. Hard for us to say.

It is true that you don't have to inhale though.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
I find PG to be an irritant, and also nic and/or flavorings. The nic is a bit "peppery" by itself. So lower amounts are probably better. Another thing is you don't have to think of this nic addiction thing as "only one solution". Some people could use various forms of nic in combination as along as they know the warning signs of excessive nic.

Too much VG is a concern for the "fatty deposits" issue quoted previously...however, there are many here on this forum using 100% VG and not having problems. Also, I don't think a good study was done on the woman's e-juice content. So my concerns may just be reacting to bad news reports and/or isolated incidents. But I'd stay with more PG even if it's a bit harsher than VG since PG is better understood. That's not to say if it gives you a reaction you should keep using it.

Also, you should be on COPD medication...it will reduce the inflammation and slow progression. At least get a rescue inhaler. Problem with all that is it's expensive...prohibitively for some.

Caffeine is another thing that helps asthma. So don't change your current caffeine consumption unless recommended by your doctor.

Unflavored juice will probably give you fewer problems. Or try DIY so you can mix and match and experiment.

In the end, e-cigs may or may not be for you. Hard for us to say.

It is true that you don't have to inhale though.

Good luck!

Hi and thanks for the response. I have been on Qvar and Albuterol (rescue inhaler) for several years, and, since June (when I was diagnosed with COPD after tests at the Denver Health Pulmunary Function Lab) Spiriva for my COPD symptoms. I'm just trying to mimic the smoking experience as simply as possible---I don't want to get too involved with advanced vaping paraphernalia and esoterica, if you know what I mean. In the end I hope to break it off altogether, though I don't know if I'll live that long :). Anyway, I'm just trying to keep it simple and feel my way along. And I'm trying not to inhale.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I went with V2 because they were recommended to me. Easy system, replace cartirdges, etc. However, and not to sound Racist, but the cartridges are made in China, and I don't trust them. Any similar system which anyone would care to recommend?

You can use your V2 batteries and get blank cartomizers and fill them up with American-made juice if you prefer. I have some V2 batteries, but I hate their pre-filled cartomizers (I think they taste like chemicals). I buy blanks (I prefer Bloog's blank cartomizers to V2's) and fill them with vendor-bought and DIY e-liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread