New, I Love It, But I Can't Stop Coughing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, I have never found such a wealth of useful information anywhere.

After perusing here for at least a month, I finally ordered a JOYE-510 with 5 carts and 2 bottles of liquid. The carts are prefilled with a Mbro 18mg. I charged my batteries and fired up and was VERY pleasantly surprised with the vaping experience from the beginning. I really think I could make a conversion here except for one thing -- every time I take a puff with enough vapor to give me any mouth feel, I get a really bad tickle in the back of my throat that makes me hack just as bad as I do with my first cig of the day.

I tried cutting the 18mg in half with glycerine (I think the 18 is too strong for me anyway) and it didn't alleviate the tickle any. I REALLY want to do this but baby puffs aren't going to cut it for me. I tried off an on for 2 days and will start trying again today but I was just wondering if this is something I can expect to get past or if anybody has any suggestions. I have read zillions of the threads here and don't remember seeing this explicitly addressed, my apologies if it has been.

It'll do that little bit of tickle and phlem in the back of my throat too. Try not to do it very first thing in the morning like you'd smoke cigs. Wait a little while. .but it still makes my throat tickle in the back and I find myself clearing my throat alot. But it beats the crap out of coughing up a lung every morning from the bottom of the lungs. Getting off those analogs is the best thing i've ever done, and it'll be the same for you! Keep trying!

Rich.

Thanks, DrGrabber, I did read that thread. I'm not having any issues with coughing throughout the day or anything, it's just in direct response to the vapor from the e-cig, a very bad tickle. I thought if it was a PG issue, cutting with 1/2 glycerin would make it a little better but it didn't. Maybe my theory is wrong there. The coughing doesn't last long, but I'm starting to look at the e-cig as sort of a form of punishment and avoiding it. I'll look for some different liquids and keep trying though.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Thanks, DrGrabber, I did read that thread. I'm not having any issues with coughing throughout the day or anything, it's just in direct response to the vapor from the e-cig, a very bad tickle. I thought if it was a PG issue, cutting with 1/2 glycerin would make it a little better but it didn't. Maybe my theory is wrong there. The coughing doesn't last long, but I'm starting to look at the e-cig as sort of a form of punishment and avoiding it. I'll look for some different liquids and keep trying though.

>

As one of the other posters mentioned the pseudo Marlboro juice can be harsh. If this cough doesn't subside in the next few days, you might want to give Johnson Creek a look. Their original blend is mild and tasty, IMHO. If I was in your position I'd buy small portions until you find something (taste and PG or VG) that suits you. Stay with it and good luck.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
try just puffing like a cigar for a day or two...........some of us believe we get the same or more nicotine whether or not we inhale. Nevertheless switching over and giving up smoking can do a lot of things to a person. also try glycerine only with some sort of flavor or water just to see if it is the propylene glycol.(if you're allergic, no level of pg would be good)

also don't feel like u have to throw the cigs anyway immediately either.......find a juice and strength u like first

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I second that, Richie G, that Marlboro has been posted as very strong, I went with a tobacco flavor, but Johnson Creeks' Original. And now I've tried the Tennessee Cured, as well, and that is also very mild. If you need, you can switch to their non-PG (it is vegetable glycerin) I had to do that as well, I was developing a chronic hoarsness from PG. That took some time, but I didn't want to end up coughing with my PV! Analongs made me cough all the time, even in my sleep! Also, drinking a lot more water helps, H2O, not soft drinks, coffee, etc., Water! Most of us don't drink enough water anyway. PG and Glycerin can both be more drying.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Don't forget, they put a lot of things into analogues to 'numb' you so that you don't react by coughing your lungs up when you inhale! We (luckily) don't have all that crap in e-liquid, so the first inihaltions after a while away from it will feel a bit harsher. (This is felt most first thing in the morning, but hasn't anyone else noticed that if you've left it alone for any amount of time, you will feel a greater throat hit than if you are vaping constantly?)

I know that a 'little inhale' won't satisfy in the long run, but first thing, take shorter, shallower inhales and your body will quickly adjust, alowing you to take a good satisfying draw in a relatively short period of time.

Happy vaping!

(PS - Paladinx: didn't you formally announce your retirement from the forums a few days ago.... I keep coming across new posts since you did that! LOL!)

Thanks Angela, that makes sense. I've gone back to the uncut 18mg carts for now and it actually seems less irritating. Maybe I don't like glycerin? I need to order some variety and experiment a bit but I'm having a tough time finding a 'one stop shop' and I keep losing track of who stocks what. As usual, I'm over-analyzing and confusing myself. I'll get this figured out.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Thanks Angela, that makes sense. I've gone back to the uncut 18mg carts for now and it actually seems less irritating. Maybe I don't like glycerin? I need to order some variety and experiment a bit but I'm having a tough time finding a 'one stop shop' and I keep losing track of who stocks what. As usual, I'm over-analyzing and confusing myself. I'll get this figured out.
For general info: most people feel that glycerine tends to have a smoother taste with less throat hit, but gives more vapour.

I'm sure you'll find what works for you eventually... it's just a bit of trial and error until you do! (A bit like finding out which brand your prefer on analogues.... but with SO MANY more varying choices!!!)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
If i had a quarter for every time someone said you are allergic to PG i think id be rich. Are there that many people who are allergic to this?
Some people just can't keep exposing themselves to it. I don't know why exactly, it could be allergy, but it could also just be sensitivity to the dryness it imparts. It can be fine for awhile but after constant use can result in soreness in throat, mouth, nose, windpipe. I developed a bad hoarsness from it. Perhaps the non-pg will eventually get to me also, but for now the symptoms from PG have disappeared. Yes, people can be allergy prone to many substances from many sources.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
I believe that I may be slightly allergic to PG. I get dryness in my throat that itches terribly where I'm coughing at night. I think that's why I sometimes cheat and fall back to cigs during the day and just vape at night or early morning. It is a real thing!
Some people just can't keep exposing themselves to it. I don't know why exactly, it could be allergy, but it could also just be sensitivity to the dryness it imparts. It can be fine for awhile but after constant use can result in soreness in throat, mouth, nose, windpipe. I developed a bad hoarsness from it. Perhaps the non-pg will eventually get to me also, but for now the symptoms from PG have disappeared. Yes, people can be allergy prone to many substances from many sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread