New Jersey Vape-pen Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I read a story about that and it sounded like a loose battery with unprotected terminals, a no no. There is no such thing as a vape specific battery. There probably never will be.
Only if it's labeled "This product made from tobacco"

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri

Caught her bag on fire a little bit and spewed some smoke. Battery?

I just saw this on the news, and I have to say, it really ticks me off. The news says nothing about why it exploded and how to prevent it. I'll bet she had it laying freely in her bag and never bothered to actually read any security warnings. It probably made contact with something metal like a zipper or glasses case, and.......BOOOOOMMMM. Why can't people learn their lesson. Also I think I'll be sending the news media an email (CNN) in this example.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
She doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb, interview: Vape battery explodes inside woman’s purse

Definitely an 18650 that she had "in the pocket all by itself" (huge pocket, seems unlikely that it was by itself)
Lol she thought it was an attack. It was. Her ignorance of safe battery handling attacked her. She is more worried about her purse. And the news will blow it up saying vaping isn't safe. How about when someone puts a plugged in blow drier in the bath tub with them and it kills them. Does that mean that blow driers are not safe? Or how about leaving your car running in a closed garage. Car isn't safe? Come on, when will people stop blaming other things for their stupidity.

Direct quote from the woman, “I had the battery in this pocket by itself, and what it did was, it exploded through the pocket,” You don't put batteries loosely in anything. I would also be willing to bet that a purse like that has high quality METAL zippers.

Looks like a metal zipper to me...

pnLMheL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wiredlove

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Lol she thought it was an attack. It was. Her ignorance of safe battery handling attacked her. She is more worried about her purse. And the news will blow it up saying vaping isn't safe. How about when someone puts a plugged in blow drier in the bath tub with them and it kills them. Does that mean that blow driers are not safe? Or how about leaving your car running in a closed garage. Car isn't safe? Come on, when will people stop blaming other things for their stupidity.

Direct quote from the woman, “I had the battery in this pocket by itself, and what it did was, it exploded through the pocket,” You don't put batteries loosely in anything. I would also be willing to bet that a purse like that has high quality METAL zippers.

Looks like a metal zipper to me...

pnLMheL.jpg

Yeah, she said it's a Louis Vuitton bag. Based on that, here's the interior zipper from similar bags :

Louis Vuitton Bag2.jpg Louis Vuitton Bag.jpg

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Reactions: wiredlove

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Part of the problem is that some people don't understand the fundamental basics of what a battery is and how it works. Not sure if it is just ignorance or she never read any type of safe handling information for lithium batteries. Maybe they should start including some type of safety card for those types of people. Like the warning on coffee that says HOT. :)

I like the fact that IMR batteries includes a free case with the purchase of 2 batteries. I always have them in the battery case, and then I might freely put the case with the batteries in my backpack pocket.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Here's her interview.

The local media is all over this thing. Strange how they show at 1:55 a Kanger subbox that the viewer is made to believe caused all this ruckus. Hard to believe that's the unit which housed the exploding 18650. If it is then Kanger should use the vid to sell more of them.
That's kind of pointless considering the battery wasn't in the mod at all. The mod had NOTHING to do with it exploding. Typical lying media.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
That's kind of pointless considering the battery wasn't in the mod at all. The mod had NOTHING to do with it exploding. Typical lying media.

This exactly.

If it was a dumb photographer making the same stunt with a spare battery for his camera or flash, terrifying everyone right in the middle of a wedding, we would not hear about "dangerous photographic equipment". We would hear about "dumb, unprofessional photographer".

But because the same battery was intended to be used in a mod, now we hear about "them dangerous e-cigarettes that explode without warning".
Conveniently forgetting to tell people that the battery was not even in the "dangerous", "exploding" device.

:facepalm:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
It isn't a vape battery, it's a battery. I just bought a couple 18650s for my flashlights, same battery different uses. I once heated up a jeans pocket with a much smaller one. I had a scanner and the charge ran low so I quickly inserted a new battery and stuffed it in the opening to my pocket until I finished what I was working on. With movement, it fell from the opening down into the pocket full of change. Noticed it pretty quick when my leg heated up and that was a little 1.2v rechargeable.

Reactions: LaraC

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"Vape" batteries aren't the only danger.

Rowan Student Burned by Cellphone Charger

Didn't have any pictures in the story, but the fire in his pucket must have been bad from the pictures they had on TV. They said he was charging it in his pocket on the TV story.

Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread