New Juice & Asthma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone:

History: I've smoked a little less than a PAD on average for the past 30 years. I've quit more times than Mark Twain and was quite good at quitting but always relapsed. Originally I'd quit because of asthma, more recently the fear of cancer has kicked in. I started vaping exactly two months ago and haven't had an analog since. After trying to educate myself online, I decided VG would be the best choice for me. I have a zillion allergies and thought I'd avoid the PG risk and the VG sounded more "pure" to me than PG.

For the past two months, I've been vaping Halo Malibu 12 mg as my ADV and interspersing Virgin Vapor 100% VG Peach, and a mixture of Virgin Vapor 100% VG Mint Tingle & Malibu Kris Kringle.

Yesterday, I used two new juices. One was an 30VG/70PG lemon meringue (don't know if that's relevant) from the local vape shop which (supposedly) uses US pharmaceutical grade products. The other was 80VG/20PG from an online vendor that I read excellent reviews about on this forum. This 80/20 mix was super thick - very unlike the 100% Virgin Vapor that I was used to.

Last night I had a horrible asthma attack. I'm still not recovered. (I have inhalers and I do know when it's time to seek medical attention). My lungs feel like they'd feel after a night of being in a bar drinking and smoking too much. Last night I found the ECF Library and read the article about VG vs. PG vs. PEG and the article stated that people with lung problems shouldn't use VG!!!

Two things changed yesterday - the local vape shop 30/70 juice and the 80/20 online vender juice. If the culprit is the VG, then the online vendor's juice would be the problem. If the culprit is the thickness of the juice, the online vendor would be the problem. But, it could be the juice from the local vape shop. I don't have any way of knowing. I went to the vendor's webpage this morning and could find NO information about the source of his fluids, just that mixes them himself.

If the VG is the culprit, then why doesn't the juice from Virgin Vapor bother me? Actually, one of the flavors from them I use very occasionally, and the other flavor I mix with Halo. Perhaps my typical daily intake of the VG from Virgin was lower than my intake of the fluid from the online vendor yesterday.

I know you all know a ton more than I do re the juices. Do you have any ideas for me? Other than dropping every juice and sticking to the Halo?

TIA!!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Get thee to a doctor, a real doctor. We're not doctors, don't even play one on TV (or the internet)...:laugh:

Your doc should be able to give you much better info on what may be affecting you, could be a flavoring as
much as VG or PG. Googling medical information, is practicing medicine without a license, not what I would
want to do with my health.

I'm not asking for medical advice. I know better than that. I am under a medical doctor's care, and I have a peak flow meter to monitor my asthma, and prescription medications.

I am simply trying to understand the differences between PG and VG, which types of fluids and/or vendors people may have had problems with. If I can learn more about the differences in vendors and the juice types, I may be better able to understand the causes of the flare up in my asthma when I switched juice.

I did not know that flavorings themselves could cause problems, that's good information to have. Have other people experienced problems with flavorings?

Last edited:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
What was the name of the really thick one that you vaped? I see you've tried Malibu kris kringle(100%vg), Mint tingle(100%), Peach(100%), and Lemon meringue(30vg/70pg), but you didn't list one of them, the really thick one at 80vg/20vg.

These juices are produced using food grade flavors, are you allergic to certain foods?

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
First of all as Stosh has suggested see a Dr. ALWAYS a good idea to let your GP know you've quit smoking. Rarely have I heard a Dr. give negative feedback.
Do you have a link to the Vendor with the problematic juice? Some "acidic" juices may cause lung issues.
As for Virgin Vapor they began their business because many were having serious sensitivity issues with juice. I've vaped their juice and it's just about the smoothest and most flavorful I ever had. Realize also they only use organic ingredients and I've sent many vapers their way because of sensitivity issues.
Here's some VV ingredient info:
Ingredient Spotlight: Virgin Vapor Vegetable Glycerin | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

Yes, my GP does know I've quit and is supportive.

Yes, I think inhalers do use PG, but the quantity would be a zillion times less than all day vaping.

I was trying not to imply anything negative about the online vendor so I didn't originally name the company. Anyway, here is the link. Roar Vapor: Home page Yesterday, I primarily used the Earl Grey Tea flavor 80/20 (which I loved) and the lemon meringue 30/70 from the local shop. I also used one of the Hawaii flavors from Roar.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yes, my GP does know I've quit and is supportive.

Yes, I think inhalers do use PG, but the quantity would be a zillion times less than all day vaping.
I was trying not to imply anything negative about the online vendor so I didn't originally name the company. Anyway, here is the link. Roar Vapor: Home page Yesterday, I primarily used the Earl Grey Tea flavor 80/20 (which I loved) and the lemon meringue 30/70 from the local shop. I also used one of the Hawaii flavors from Roar.

PG is believed by many of us to be a throat/ lung irritant. Could be you're extremely sensitive to PG.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Just off the top of my head - Halo is a PG/VG mix and you were OK with that. VV uses organic ingredients and you were OK with that.

I probably wouldn't chance another asthma attack and stick with those e-liquids that you've been able to vape with no issues.

It's difficult to narrow down. If you said you had a rash, I'd recommend vaping all VG or all PG then narrow down any flavorings that cause problems. Since it's something a bit more serious- just stick with what works for you.

Yeah, it's complicated and I'll probably never know what caused this flare up - the Roar fluid or the local vape shop fluid. I'm okay with sticking to Halo and Virgin Vapors, though I admit I'm disappointed to not be able to branch out. If I knew what proportions Halo used, that would be helpful, but I don't think that info is available. Halo and Virgin Vapor both use pharmaceutical grade fluid. That's probably important.

I really appreciate your willingness to share your ideas with me! I live in a small town about an hour from Milwaukee and other than people in the local vape shop, the only other person I know who vapes is my friend who started when I did.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
I have asthma and i vape 50/50 ratio. I have noticed that is not the pg or vg that bother me. It is random flavors that do it. I can't vape my favorite flavor white peach ala zoe any more. And have found a few others I can not use or else asthma sets in. So now i avoid any flavors that give me that reaction.
I thought maybe it was a brand of flavorings that the vendors use but I also diy my liquids and have all diff brands. And it's no one brand that gives me the issues.
I hope you are able to figure out your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread